15 Britons to be tried for spying in Iran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:59:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  15 Britons to be tried for spying in Iran
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 15 Britons to be tried for spying in Iran  (Read 3856 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2007, 12:15:40 AM »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article1563877.ece

This is now serious, if Iran actually tries to go through with this it will be war again no doubt in my mind, today thier security minister at the U.N. said the US and Britian were far too weak to threaten Iran, politics aside, they are in for a very very rude awakening if they want to play the hard way.

If you doubt me, check the deployment of Allied naval forces in the area, now mulitply that by about 2 if they choose to keep the sailors, it will get ugly pretty quick.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:01:35 AM »

So far everything appears to following the 2004 script.  About the only change is what the Iranians might hope to gain out of this.  Of course they also have a good deal to lose.  I doubt if the Iranians will get what they want.  Their five agents are being held by us Americans, so even if Blair were willing to make a swap, he can't.  I can't see the Iranians as being so dumb as to think that is a real possibility.  If they are though, this could get bad in a hurry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:27:46 AM »

So far everything appears to following the 2004 script.  About the only change is what the Iranians might hope to gain out of this.  Of course they also have a good deal to lose.  I doubt if the Iranians will get what they want.  Their five agents are being held by us Americans, so even if Blair were willing to make a swap, he can't.  I can't see the Iranians as being so dumb as to think that is a real possibility.  If they are though, this could get bad in a hurry.

These people are sending suicide bombers into Iraq and they believe suicide sends them to paradise. You tell me if they aren't dumb enough.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »

States, I believe you suffer from precisely the same delusion - religion - as you accuse these Muslims of.  Anyway I don't see what that has to do with this issue of international power politics.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:47:48 AM »

Actually, what Iran wants is mostly for their naval borders to be respected.

And then of course, parts of the Iranian establishment also want old mates freed who're held in other countries' prisons from back in the time when they used terrorism against foreign-based Iranian opposition groups as a means of internal politics. Not that I approve of that.

I don't see any reason to doubt that these guys did indeed stray into Iranian waters.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:52:02 AM »

I say we should behead any iranian nationals on US soil then send the videos to Ian's leadership.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »

I say we should behead any iranian nationals on US soil then send the videos to Ian's leadership.

Who's Ian?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »

And then of course, parts of the Iranian establishment also want old mates freed who're held in other countries' prisons from back in the time when they used terrorism against foreign-based Iranian opposition groups as a means of internal politics. Not that I approve of that.

I don't see any reason to doubt that these guys did indeed stray into Iranian waters.

The Iran-Iraq border there isn't clear. If it was a mistake (and it probably was if they did) just release them already.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:46:37 AM »

Who's Ian?
I meant Iran. Its called a typo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »

The Iran-Iraq border there isn't clear. If it was a mistake (and it probably was if they did) just release them already.
That would at the very least require that your government admits the "mistake" ... just as they did, or sort of did, in 2004. ("mistake" in these marks because occasionally ignoring the border seems to be policy here. One that comes very easily to anyone owning the port of Al-Faw, whether he's called Blair or Saddam.)

And that may not be enough... since Iran, or some of the individuals holding influence in Iran, do indeed have a less acceptable further agenda.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:36:40 AM »

A few civilian eye witnesses say that the Brits were clearly outside of Iranian waters, but then again, Iran can easily pull in an eye witness to refute that claim. 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11:17 PM »

Lewis, you are acting really strange.

There is absolutely no rational reason to believe the Iranians!

There were a plethora of witnesses who agree the Brits were in Iraqi waters.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 03:06:37 PM »

Lewis, you are acting really strange.

Since when has an act of denial been "strange"?  In a previous time of peril, Denial went under the banner of "Better Red than Dead."
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:39:46 PM »

While it's hard being diplomatic with a bunch of 'kids' in Tehran, if this situation is not resolved by the weekend I hope military force is used
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:51:14 PM »

Maybe the terrorists will take down another civilian plane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »

Who's Ian?
I meant Iran. Its called a typo.

I don't think Ian would take very kindly to that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 12:47:53 AM »

Iran says a condition of release for those 15 sailors is that the US & the UK must exit Iraq. But wait, I thought Iran had nothing to do with Iraq? Huh Wink
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 05:31:43 AM »

Iran says a condition of release for those 15 sailors is that the US & the UK must exit Iraq. But wait, I thought Iran had nothing to do with Iraq? Huh Wink

I'm getting sick of this circus. I'm feeling, as a nation, we are being humiliated while Iran makes fanciful demands like an overgrown kid. If no progress is made by Monday military action must be threatened. If no progress is made by midweek, a covert military operations should begin. If it sparks a 'war' then so be it our conscience, unlike that of Iran is clear.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 08:42:14 AM »

If it sparks a 'war' then so be it our conscience, unlike that of Iran is clear.

Time to enlist!
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 10:06:45 AM »

If it sparks a 'war' then so be it our conscience, unlike that of Iran is clear.

Time to enlist!

Time to find a new little thing to say every time we go to war!
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

I'm getting sick of this circus. I'm feeling, as a nation, we are being humiliated while Iran makes fanciful demands like an overgrown kid. If no progress is made by Monday military action must be threatened. If no progress is made by midweek, a covert military operations should begin. If it sparks a 'war' then so be it our conscience, unlike that of Iran is clear.

While I can understand your anger and I agree that it appears the Royal Navy and Marines were NOT in Iranian waters, do you seriously believe the UK can mount a serious threat to Iran? I doubt the entire Royal Navy is capable of blockading Iran. Please don't misunderstand me, I really wish the UK could step in and kick Iran's ass but I don't think that is likely unless the independent UK nuclear deterrent is brought to bear. Go Brits... just be careful. The US is so tied down right now and so confused about what the hell we stand for I am not sure what help we can offer. You are probably better off seeking assistance from your traditional allies like Canada, Australia and New Zealand (perhaps even South Africa) than the US. You could always ask France for help but I doubt you would get THAT desperate! Besides, they won't do anything in Lebanon so why would they get involved with Iran. I wish you all the best and God Bless!
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »

While I can understand your anger and I agree that it appears the Royal Navy and Marines were NOT in Iranian waters, do you seriously believe the UK can mount a serious threat to Iran? I doubt the entire Royal Navy is capable of blockading Iran. Please don't misunderstand me, I really wish the UK could step in and kick Iran's ass but I don't think that is likely unless the independent UK nuclear deterrent is brought to bear. Go Brits... just be careful. The US is so tied down right now and so confused about what the hell we stand for I am not sure what help we can offer. You are probably better off seeking assistance from your traditional allies like Canada, Australia and New Zealand (perhaps even South Africa) than the US. You could always ask France for help but I doubt you would get THAT desperate! Besides, they won't do anything in Lebanon so why would they get involved with Iran. I wish you all the best and God Bless!

I have both grandparents associated with the British military areospace industry, it is no bluff when I say the UK is fully capable of putting a serious hurt on Iran.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »

Yeah, but what would be the point? "They died to save her face II"?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »

The point of what exactly?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 07:44:32 PM »

The point of what exactly?

Starting a war over this mess.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies