15 Britons to be tried for spying in Iran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:13:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  15 Britons to be tried for spying in Iran
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 15 Britons to be tried for spying in Iran  (Read 3849 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 08:29:27 PM »

Yeah, but what would be the point? "They died to save her face II"?

The point of what exactly?

Starting a war over this mess.

Your suggestion that the Falklands was pointless is incorrect, and your comparison to any conflict that may arrive over this to the Falklands is silly.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 12:00:58 AM »

I say we should behead any iranian nationals on US soil then send the videos to Ian's leadership.

Who's Ian?
I meant Iran. Its called a typo.

I don't think Ian would take very kindly to that.
Too damn bad.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »

I say we should behead any iranian nationals on US soil then send the videos to Ian's leadership.

Who's Ian?
I meant Iran. Its called a typo.

I don't think Ian would take very kindly to that.
Too damn bad.

Your wit astounds me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »

Your suggestion that the Falklands was pointless is incorrect,

It was a war fought over a couple of frozen rocks inhabited by a few inbreed sheep farmers. Yeah, I'd call that pretty pointless. On all sides, obviously.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is true. After all, it's not as though what just happend was a) something that was obvious for months to anyone who might have been bothered to keep half an eye on the area and b) something that happend as a result of an "interesting" decision to scrap a patrol boat placed off the islands the last time an invasion was threatened.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »

After all, it's not as though what just happend was a) something that was obvious for months to anyone who might have been bothered to keep half an eye on the area.
Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »

After all, it's not as though what just happend was a) something that was obvious for months to anyone who might have been bothered to keep half an eye on the area.

I was thinking more of the bizarre circus that's followed the initial incident rather than the whole capturing thing in the first place (which obviously shouldn't have surprised anyone as the same sort of thing happend a few years earlier).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »

As a general thought, I'm wondering why there's been so much emphasis on which side of the water the boat was on; locking up people for trespass is clearly A Bad Thing To Do even if the people locked up were actually trespassing (and it's not actually that much worse a thing to do if they weren't).

Btw, am I the only one getting irritated by the media coverage of this? It's almost as though the media doesn't actually want this idiocy to end peacefully...
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »

Time to find a new little thing to say every time we go to war!

"We?"  Will you be shipping out anytime soon?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »

Time to find a new little thing to say every time we go to war!

"We?"  Will you be shipping out anytime soon?

Oh that's right, "your" America isn't at war, forgive me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 03:46:08 AM »

I was thinking more of the bizarre circus that's followed the initial incident rather than the whole capturing thing in the first place (which obviously shouldn't have surprised anyone as the same sort of thing happend a few years earlier).
Why wouldn't you have predicted (something somewhat like) that, given the New Axis of Evil's recent anti-Iranian sabre-rattlings?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 06:22:42 AM »

Al, those "sheep farmers" were and are British citizens.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »

Why wouldn't you have predicted (something somewhat like) that, given the New Axis of Evil's recent anti-Iranian sabre-rattlings?

Given tensions between Iran and Etc., then I guess you could have expected things to be a little worse than last time round, but as odd as things have been (on all sides really)?
Then again, maybe the things that I find to be odd are not thought to be at all strange by anyone else.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 09:12:41 AM »

Al, those "sheep farmers" were and are British citizens.

Sure; and as such they deserved to be protected (and before Thatcher came to power they were protected). That I think fighting a war over frozen rocks is pointless is as much a criticism of the strange obsession various governments in Argentina (including the current one) have had over those frozen rocks.
O/c territorial obsession is frequently odd, but it's especially strange when all that's at stake is... well... the Falklands...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 10:32:29 AM »

Actually, what Iran wants is mostly for their naval borders to be respected.

And then of course, parts of the Iranian establishment also want old mates freed who're held in other countries' prisons from back in the time when they used terrorism against foreign-based Iranian opposition groups as a means of internal politics. Not that I approve of that.

I don't see any reason to doubt that these guys did indeed stray into Iranian waters.

Lewis, you are acting really strange.

Since when has an act of denial been "strange"?  In a previous time of peril, Denial went under the banner of "Better Red than Dead."

'Peril'?!  You have to be kidding me.  Ok, maybe the USSR was a slight potential threat (though hyped and misrepresented ridiculously), but calling pipsqueeks like Saddam Hussein or the Iranian regime threats is rather silly.

Anyway, whether or not a nation-state represents a 'peril' to the Empire, you generally have to expect it to be annoyed and perhaps take some actions when their borders are violated.  Even our patsies don't just allow the imperial military to wander through without at least a 'by your leave'. 
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 03:43:31 PM »

This is just typical Iranian horse manure.  I am not typically a supporter of all out subjugation of a nation .... but in the case of Iran I am.

BTW, where is the diplomatic pressure on Germany (Iran's largest trading partner)??
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies