European Football Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:51:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Football Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Author Topic: European Football Thread  (Read 48094 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 08:53:20 AM »

Huh
Have there been major border redrawings that I missed?

With Scotland having Manchester and Northern Ireland taking London, does England still exist? Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12:37 AM »

Huh

With Scotland having Manchester and Northern Ireland taking London, does England still exist? Tongue

A late April joke, just wanted to see if anybody is noticing it ... Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »

Huh

Gee, you should follow the news more closely. Chelsea have relocated to Belfast.
The Scottish-English border was moved to the Trent in exchange for the release of 15 English soldiers by Scottish authorities.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 07:36:06 PM »

Utd. goes down hard to Portsmouth, great result.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »

Why can't Chelsea and Man United both lose the premiership?

Anyway Come on Roma and Valencia!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 09:34:17 PM »

When does NFL Europe start? Tongue
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 11:18:35 PM »

For once, you and I are in total agreement.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »

Its actually NFL Germany + Amsterdam ... Wink

PS: It starts next Saturday, April 14.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 06:51:40 AM »

Seriously though, how popular is it over there?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »

American football? Let me put it like this. I've never met, seen nor even heard of anyone who plays it anywhere in Europe. Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 07:32:57 AM »

American football? Let me put it like this. I've never met, seen nor even heard of anyone who plays it anywhere in Europe. Tongue

Have you ever watched it yourself? The main problem that most Americans seem to have with soccer is that it doesn't have enough offense. Americans love high scoring games...maybe soccer should play with no goalie or one of the players drops back to goalie. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2007, 07:40:05 AM »

Have you ever watched it yourself? The main problem that most Americans seem to have with soccer is that it doesn't have enough offense. Americans love high scoring games...maybe soccer should play with no goalie or one of the players drops back to goalie. Tongue

I've seen it on American movies...and I've played a little rugby. The problem is that it seems to one-dimensional. It's just people running into each other trying to get a ball a certain distance. Now, soccer is much more tactical and refined. Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »

Not very popular. Just professionally played in bigger cities (above 100.000 inhabitants - at least in Austria) But I like to watch the SuperBowl each year with a friend of mine. Last time we had some girls with us who watched the game with us, but they fell asleep after half an hour. Remember, the Superbowl starts at midnight here, local time.

Austria has some good teams in the EFL (European Football League). The Vienna Vikings got the dynasty last year, by winning the Eurobowl 3 times (2004, 2005, 2006).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »

I've seen it on American movies...and I've played a little rugby. The problem is that it seems to one-dimensional. It's just people running into each other trying to get a ball a certain distance. Now, soccer is much more tactical and refined. Wink

Actually the playbooks of both the defense and offense are very complicated with quite often hundreds of unique plays per side per team.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »

Actually the playbooks of both the defense and offense are very complicated with quite often hundreds of unique plays per side per team.

I've seen a few American football games (and made a few half hearted attempts to play). It's certainly one of the more enjoyable American sports to watch, but my biggest problem with it is the interminable number of pauses and breaks in play, which results in endless commercial breaks (ARGH!).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »

I've seen a few American football games (and made a few half hearted attempts to play). It's certainly one of the more enjoyable American sports to watch, but my biggest problem with it is the interminable number of pauses and breaks in play, which results in endless commercial breaks (ARGH!).

On the last part you are most definately correct! I know in highschool ball they have a rule that if the game goes over 21 points on one side the clock continues running unless a timeout is called. But American football does have way way to many commercial breaks.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2007, 05:23:29 PM by Michael Z »

I know you're being tongue in cheek here, but to a lot of people that actually is the "beauty" of football/soccer. The emotional investment that goes into scoring a goal, and when your team does score it's just f***ing beautiful. Seriously, nothing can compare to the feeling of being in a stadium and going wild with thousands of other fans when your team scores. It wouldn't be the same if there was a goal every other minute.

Anyway, I actually enjoy watching American football, but like Jas said, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if there weren't so many breaks. Out of all US sports I definitely like watching basketball the most. Go Sonics!
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2007, 06:47:27 PM »

States my friend you know no one enjoys American football more than you Harry and I, but do not hijack my thread about soccer...

and NFL Europe is horrible
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 04:04:22 AM »

Exactly. The game is so retarded and untactical (compared to soccer) that it can actually be broken down into repeatable situations like that - although granted there's quite a lot of them.
Of course, the whole bit about the breaks ties in here as well. If you scratched the play on rule and bookings for "tactical fouls" in soccer, it'd probably degenerate AF-like (except with even fewer goals than now) pretty quickly.

NFL Europe is basically a farm league of the NFL's, so of course you'd expect lower quality playing, wouldn't you?

I know you're being tongue in cheek here, but to a lot of people that actually is the "beauty" of football/soccer. The emotional investment that goes into scoring a goal, and when your team does score it's just f***ing beautiful. Seriously, nothing can compare to the feeling of being in a stadium and going wild with thousands of other fans when your team scores. It wouldn't be the same if there was a goal every other minute.
Yeah. A goal is better than sex.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:57 PM »

Man United really took it to Roma today. Unfortunately Chelsea got another last minute goal to beat Valencia. Is it just me or do Chelsea always, always score when they absolutely have to? Sad
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 09:11:24 PM »

I like Chelsea but I must say what a great result for M Utd and for England, UEFA needs to take a lesson and ban Italy from participation until they can clean up their act like England did.

Great job.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 06:50:34 AM »

Best Man U performance I've seen in a long time. Destroyed Roma after a fairly tame performance over 48 hours before in losing to Portsmouth.

By far the best Michael Carrick has ever played for them, very good effort by Alan Smith too. Wayne Rooney, though, still not playing at the level he can.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2007, 07:35:15 AM »

That was a thrashing. Hopefully this will carry on into the FA Cup Semi-Final.

(I don't actually care who wins that match, provided it doesn't go into extra time. If it does, we'll have to wait an extra week for the third episode of Doctor Who)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2007, 01:09:11 PM »

Oh God was that a great game. I love the English Stadium Atmosphere. Unique.

Have a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8ckDxgUK4

Simply great ! Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

YES! Bayern are out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15  
« previous next »