European Football Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:40:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Football Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European Football Thread  (Read 48379 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« on: April 08, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »
« edited: April 08, 2007, 05:23:29 PM by Michael Z »

Its actually NFL Germany + Amsterdam ... Wink

PS: It starts next Saturday, April 14.

Seriously though, how popular is it over there?
American football? Let me put it like this. I've never met, seen nor even heard of anyone who plays it anywhere in Europe. Tongue

Have you ever watched it yourself? The main problem that most Americans seem to have with soccer is that it doesn't have enough offense. Americans love high scoring games...maybe soccer should play with no goalie or one of the players drops back to goalie. Tongue

I know you're being tongue in cheek here, but to a lot of people that actually is the "beauty" of football/soccer. The emotional investment that goes into scoring a goal, and when your team does score it's just f***ing beautiful. Seriously, nothing can compare to the feeling of being in a stadium and going wild with thousands of other fans when your team scores. It wouldn't be the same if there was a goal every other minute.

Anyway, I actually enjoy watching American football, but like Jas said, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if there weren't so many breaks. Out of all US sports I definitely like watching basketball the most. Go Sonics!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »

Probably one of the worst England performances I have ever seen. Well, at least since the halcyon days (ho ho) of Graham Taylor.

Guess the big discussion now is who will take over from Steve McClaren. I doubt Lippi or Mourinho will go for it/get offered the job, but Allardyce or Pearce would be a flipping disaster. I say Dario Gradi. You heard. Dario Gradi. I am not kidding. Think about it, what have we got to lose, plus he's one of the few coaches in this country who understands tactics (beyond "lob the ball and see what happens") and can actually, y'know, coach players.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »

I nominate my cat. She's been dead for two years now, but she would still do a better job than Mr Really Really Really Bad Combover.

What about a deck chair? Deck chair for England manager!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 05:25:06 AM »

Sat and thought about it... This is not a hindsight issue, I've always argued with the Ex-Pat colony in Austin that I often watch matches with that Beckham was top notch and would always perform when challenged, this was proven in a major way last night, his crossing service was designed for a man like Crouch (who need more playing time, even when Rooney is healthy) I've said it and I've always said it, tonight was prime example

I just don't know, I tried very very hard to like McClaren, but he's made it impossible, the rookie goalkeeper in the biggest game of the campaign, dueling egos with a more than viable Beckham, and an overall black cloud over the whole thing.

Good Riddance, Mourinho for the job if you ask me.

And could Carson been any more horrible? not a punch but a parry?

I can't see Mourinho being offered the job, great as it would be... he's too much of a maverick for the FA, and the FA always prefers a yes-man. It's the main reason Brian Clough never became England manager.

As for Carson, yes, it was incredibly dumb to put a rookie keeper in goal for arguably the most important match of the qualifying campaign. However, if anything, I think it reflects a bigger malaise, namely that of England not having an international class keeper to speak of.

Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 06:20:14 AM »

I nominate my cat. She's been dead for two years now, but she would still do a better job than Mr Really Really Really Bad Combover.

What about a deck chair? Deck chair for England manager!

Yes, yes... I can see why people would prefer a deck chair to McClaren. I certainly would!

In related news, the ranks of the unemployed have just swelled by two.

Who also went? Venables? That's good news, I was worried the FA might actually install him as McClaren's replacement. Give me a deck chair or a deceased cat any day...
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 12:23:03 AM »

Mourinho has said no. Ah well. O'Neill also, but then I always thought he was a little overrated.

Apparently, Klinsmann has now entered the frey. This could get interesting...
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:35:29 AM »

Sheesh what a mess, if it had to be an English manager it would be him though, I hope he comes out clean but I don't think that will be the case,

It would take nothing short of a miracle (or something extremely dodgy happening) for Redknapp to come out of this clean. He's as bent as hell and everyone knows it.

Indeed. My reaction was mainly one of "Well, whaddya know". I don't think anyone was in any way surprised by this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies