English translations of the Bible (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:41:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  English translations of the Bible (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which English translation do you most commonly use?
New International Version

New American Standard Bible

Authorized / King James Version

New King James Version

English Standard Version

Amplified Bible

Other

Not applicable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: English translations of the Bible  (Read 9034 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 07, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »
« edited: August 07, 2007, 03:29:35 PM by MODU »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe he is one of the four that have you on ignore.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:15:39 AM »

I have a copy called the "Simple English" Bible, thinking it would be a good teaching tool for others.  Unfortunately, they try too hard to make the sentences short and simple that they cut out parts of the message and use words that don't provide the same meaning as the conventional translations.  Needless to say, it now sits on the shelf.  I use to use a Bible that had the four major translations all on one page.  So, say you open up to some chapter... in the first column was the King James version, then the American Standard.  On the other side of the crease was the New International Version and something else.  It proved to be a better study Bible, but way too big to carry around constantly.  I now have the New American Standard and a copy translated from one of the earlier Greek versions ... said to be more accurate.  They do have the correction of "Thou shall not murder" vice the incorrect translation "Thou shall not kill," for example.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »

Waits for the discussion of _____ in order to be saved.  Just to see if you two actually get to that point.  Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »

Waits for the discussion of _____ in order to be saved.  Just to see if you two actually get to that point.  Tongue

I am getting there.  The Grace of God is what "saves".  But the notion that all you need is faith is bunk.

I know.  I just want to see if you actually cover a key point of salvation.  Don't want to say what it is (yet) though.  Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »

This debate has pretty much convinced me of one thing: no matter what your opinion is, you can find a justification for it in the Bible. Tongue

Like with everything, you take a small snippet of text and you can make it mean anything.  That's why context is important.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies