CO: Senate President Joan Fitz-Gerald (D) seeks Udall's open seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:26:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO: Senate President Joan Fitz-Gerald (D) seeks Udall's open seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CO: Senate President Joan Fitz-Gerald (D) seeks Udall's open seat  (Read 913 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:27:11 AM »

Leading State Lawmaker to Bid for Udall’s Open Colorado House Seat

Democrat Joan Fitz-Gerald, the president of Colorado’s state Senate, formally confirmed that she will run next year in the state’s 2nd Congressional District, located in and around Boulder.

Fitz-Gerald will be seeking to keep the open House seat in Democratic hands. Her announcement came two days after incumbent Rep. Mark Udall made official his plans to run for the Senate in 2008 by filing a statement of candidacy with federal officials.

“I’m excited to announce my candidacy for Congress and bring Colorado’s record of change to Washington,” Fitz-Gerald said in a news release. In that statement, she emphasized her support for military veterans and for American troops serving in Iraq — but also said she would work to end the war.

Fitz-Gerald had made clear months ago that she intended to run in the 2nd, which is open as a result of Udall’s decision to run for the Senate seat that Republican incumbent Wayne Allard is leaving open to retire. Udall had said as early as March 2005 that he would run for the Senate, regardless of Allard’s plans.

To prepare for her congressional bid, Fitz-Gerald three weeks ago stepped down as the chairwoman of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC), which works to elect Democrats to state legislative seats.

Fitz-Gerald is the leading Democratic candidate in a district that is more likely than not to elect a Democrat to succeed Udall. Colorado’s 2nd, which also includes Vail and Thornton and nearly all of Westminster, gave 58 percent of its votes in the 2004 presidential election to Democratic nominee John Kerry. Udall has typically prevailed in his House races by even wider margins.

http://www.nytimes.com/cq/2007/04/18/cq_2590.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:34:05 AM »

Good choice I think. She won´t have much problems in winning this seat I think. What about Tancredo´s seat ? Are there any good Dems other than Bill Winter around ?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »

Safe Dem seat. She wins the primary, the seat is her's:

What about Tancredo´s seat ? Are there any good Dems other than Bill Winter around ?

No Democrat is ever winning that seat.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:29 PM »

Safe Dem seat. She wins the primary, the seat is her's:

What about Tancredo´s seat ? Are there any good Dems other than Bill Winter around ?

No Democrat is ever winning that seat.

I totally agree. No republican is going to win that seat, and it'll be a very bad day for republicans when they win Tancredo's seat.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:47:54 PM »

CO-2 is becoming more and more Democratic at the Presidential level; Gore won it 52%-43% in 2000 and Kerry doubled his margin in 2004 winning 58%-41%.  The Democratic Presidential candidate should get over 60% of the vote in the District in 2008, and obviously Udall will carry it in a landslide in the Senate race. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 03:00:25 PM »

Boulder has no problem electing democrats to office. I think that the best that a republican did in that area was Owens back in 2002. I think he got like 42-45% of the vote in the area.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies