Canada Expels Indian diplomat after accusing India of killing their citizen on Canadian Soil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:47:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Expels Indian diplomat after accusing India of killing their citizen on Canadian Soil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canada Expels Indian diplomat after accusing India of killing their citizen on Canadian Soil  (Read 6072 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2023, 08:46:53 PM »

Spoiler alert: there will not be any consequences
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »

Not sure why India felt it needed to do this even if Nijjar was tangentially responsible for a few killings in India. The Khalistan movement is absolutely dead. There is no change in hell there will ever be a Khalistan, so why did India feel it needed to do this?

Perhaps the Canadians didn't agree with India on how dangerous this person was but how credible is Canadian law enforcement anyways? They totally failed in the investigation of the bombing of Air India 182. Perhaps India is right that this individual was responsible for murders in India and Canada just screwed the pooch once again. Now they are just sitting around complaining while India went and took care of business and the world now has one less terrorist in it.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2023, 10:13:50 PM »

Canada is a weak and woke country under trudeau. There only hope in hell was to get Grandpa Brandon involved from USA but bidens got a lot on his fp plate and is dealing with indo pacific region to counter CCP and china so he doesn't care. He won't respond at all. Id personally love to see them cut immigration from india so we can have affordable housing but hes too much of a coward(as is pierre poilievre) that they won't do that.

Also i find it people care so much about an interpol terrorist. My thoughts are with the over 300 dead of which 200 were Canadian citizens almost 80 of them were Children in the air india attack. Back when CBC wasn't a cesspool in 2009 they made a documentary on this and it was chilling. They even had the victims family members in it. I care about those canadians the innocent ones who lived normal lives and who's lives were cut short. Ideally a sane country would have kept nijjar in prison. He was deemed by Canadas security agencies to be too risky to fly that he was on not indias but CANADAS no fly list. He used a fraudulent passport to get in and was denied twice by the refugee panel to be a refugee. If stephen harpers law that stripped terrorists of citizenship was still there we coulda stripped it and deported this clown back to india to face justice there.  Oh and btw who created that law under the harper administration? Conservative MP Devinder Shory a Sikh Canadian who is pro Canada and not a khalistani
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2023, 11:58:38 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2023, 12:03:33 AM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

The sheer derangment people on this forum have with regards to Trudeau and Canada in general has become very apparent in this thread.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2023, 12:04:42 AM »

Canada is a weak and woke country under trudeau.

God you sound so stupid. Go live in India if Canada is too woke for you. Maybe I can take your place in Canada so its wokeness can protect me from based anti woke nationalists in my country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2023, 12:08:25 AM »

God you sound so stupid. Go live in India if Canada is too woke for you. Maybe I can take your place in Canada so its wokeness can protect me from based anti woke nationalists in my country.

Lol, his favorite politician in his lifetime is not Modi but Stephen Harper and he would easily take living in Stephen Harper's Canada again.

Anyway Trudeau is collapsing in the polls and Poilievre Tories even lead with young voters now so he may get his wish soon as Polievre was mentored by Harper as well.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2023, 07:21:41 AM »

That sounds like a plan to me I'd much rather be a US citizen. That however is not in the cards for me. So as OSR posted, I look forward to a return to Stephen Harper tier Canada when the country was much better off economically and we actually took a stand in the world. 1. strong supporters of israel 2. Told putin to eat crow and get out of ukraine and g8 3. Closer ties to India, free trade deal finalized with the EU in 2014
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2023, 07:51:12 AM »

That sounds like a plan to me I'd much rather be a US citizen. That however is not in the cards for me. So as OSR posted, I look forward to a return to Stephen Harper tier Canada when the country was much better off economically and we actually took a stand in the world. 1. strong supporters of israel 2. Told putin to eat crow and get out of ukraine and g8 3. Closer ties to India, free trade deal finalized with the EU in 2014

I'm not a US citizen Tongue Moving to Israel is probably much less in the cards for you.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2023, 08:44:24 AM »

They didn't do it. But if they did it was a) very good, actually and b) an impressive sign of strength. I see.

Welcome to diplomacy and espionage. What fun!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2023, 11:29:08 AM »

If Canada had to disclose their evidence at some stage it can get really awkward since that would mean that some techniques on how Five Eyes does intelligence  gathering would be made public or at least to the Indian authorities.  Could be a great PR victory for Huawei "use us if you do not want to get spied on by Five Eyes"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2023, 11:37:56 AM »

No, you'll just get spied on by the PRC instead.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2023, 11:44:19 AM »

Not sure why India felt it needed to do this even if Nijjar was tangentially responsible for a few killings in India. The Khalistan movement is absolutely dead. There is no change in hell there will ever be a Khalistan, so why did India feel it needed to do this?

Perhaps the Canadians didn't agree with India on how dangerous this person was but how credible is Canadian law enforcement anyways? They totally failed in the investigation of the bombing of Air India 182. Perhaps India is right that this individual was responsible for murders in India and Canada just screwed the pooch once again. Now they are just sitting around complaining while India went and took care of business and the world now has one less terrorist in it.

Domestic Punjab politics could be playing a role.  Back in 2017 Punjab assembly elections the AAP clearly were trying to get funding from foreign Khalistan sources.  This bad move was one of the many reasons AAP lost their lead and let INC sweep the polls.  While AAP has mostly cut of such ties after 2017 there are still lingering questions on how tough the AAP Punjab government elected in 2022 is on Khalistan.   Last few months AAP has made the call to join forces, at least on paper, the anti-BJP bloc.  This might have provoked the BJP to go after Khalistan radicals to put past AAP ties to foriegn Khalistan  sources back on the table for political gain of the BJP.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »

India Today C-Voter survey on this crisis

What if India killed Khalistan terrorists
They did the right thing          61%
They are wrong                     14%

Is Trudeau supporting Khalistan terrorists
Yes                                      60%
No                                       18%

Did Indian agencies kill the Khalistan terrorist
Yes                                      16%
No                                       57%

Are Indian diplomats in Canada unsafe
Yes                                       54%
No                                        27%
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2023, 12:00:37 PM »

Who cares what Indians think? This is an issue of Canadian sovereignty.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2023, 12:33:17 PM »

Canada has an awful awful history of harboring terrorists . Literally Canada has nobody but to blame but themselves for it .

The fact is the reason they are distrusted is a bunch of Khalistanian terrorists bombed an Air India plane in the 1980s and then the Canadian judicial system let a bunch of them out of prison at some point afterwards. To add insult on injury the leader of the NDP as late of 2017 refused to condemn the mastermind of that very attack and given he is an unofficial coalition partner, that makes things even worse for Canada .

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2023, 12:59:11 PM »

He got his citizenship in 2015. I wonder who was the Prime Minister for most of 2015...
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2023, 01:06:36 PM »

If Canada had to disclose their evidence at some stage it can get really awkward since that would mean that some techniques on how Five Eyes does intelligence  gathering would be made public or at least to the Indian authorities.  Could be a great PR victory for Huawei "use us if you do not want to get spied on by Five Eyes"

It would be, if the CEO of Huawei himself wasn't found to have used Apple products. You'd think that if he was so confident that his products were the most secure, he would stick with them only.

https://www.sohu.com/a/349480938_499322
https://www.toutiao.com/article/7122395821189906985/?wid=1695405785566
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2023, 05:05:09 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2023, 05:18:21 PM by I hate NIMBYs »

They did the right thing          61%
They are wrong                     14%

Yes                                      60%
No                                       18%

Yes                                      16%
No                                       57%

Yes                                       54%
No                                        27%

Canada has an awful awful history of harboring terrorists . Literally Canada has nobody but to blame but themselves for it .

The fact is the reason they are distrusted is a bunch of Khalistanian terrorists bombed an Air India plane in the 1980s and then the Canadian judicial system let a bunch of them out of prison at some point afterwards. To add insult on injury the leader of the NDP as late of 2017 refused to condemn the mastermind of that very attack and given he is an unofficial coalition partner, that makes things even worse for Canada .

No, it doesn't. This is very misleading. Canada has had terror attacks by Khalistanis (the last one being almost 40 years ago), and the government response hasn't always been the best, but the term 'harbouring terrorists' implies Canada is deliberately trying to hide and support these terrorists. This of course, isn't true - Canada does not in any way hide or benefit from Khalistani extremists on its soil. Most people killed in the Air India bombing were Canadian citizens. The Canadian judicial system did try to prosecute them and did successfully prosecute one of them (albeit with a lenient sentence), and contacted foreign authorities in some cases to try and obtain more evidence. The others' charges were dismissed due to insufficient evidence, but given the efforts to prosecute them in the first place, this isn't the same as harbouring terrorism.

More recently, the Indian government's complaints regarding Khalistani violence were a parade float that tried to portray Indira's Gandhi's assassination and an unofficial Khalistani referendum. I don't necessarily agree with these things, but this isn't evidence Canada harbours terrorism - just individuals expressing sympathies for unpleasant ideologies. Canada's poor response to Khalistanis in the 1980s doesn't justify cracking down on random individuals. The Khalistani movement has died down since then, both in India and in Canada.

Trudeau, being the weak leader that he is, hasn't handled this situation very well in many respects. With that said, the Indian government so far hasn't provided much evidence Nijjar was a threat to India. I'm not excluding the possibility that he could have been a terrorist, but the evidence for this still hasn't been provided, let alone evidence of the possibility of the guy attacking India.

If India is responsible for a killing on Canadian soil, this and other aspects of its policy in international relations such as its close ties to the Kremlin in the Ukraine war are reflective of its attitude toward foreign policy more than anything else. India has an arrogant and transactional attitude toward foreign policy where only large powers like India/US/Russia get to decide what other states' foreign policy should be, and 'lesser states' like Canada (and Ukraine and others) have to bend over to their will and don't have any rights themselves. This isn't a good quality in a long-term ally, because the second India decides that their interest don't align with that of the US, they will abandon the US and the Western alliance, as has happened before with many less reliable allies of the US.

I also think India will suffer from this diplomatically much more than Canada will, but only time can fully answer that question.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2023, 05:19:32 PM »

It is important to note that Canada is a functioning country with high state capacity and an established extradition system. Canada and India established a bilateral extradition treaty in 1987.

For an extreme example of the opposite situation, when we went into Pakistan and killed Bin Laden, it was very obvious that Pakistan had no interest in cooperating and almost certainly had been aware of Bin Laden, who lived less than a mile from the national military academy. Pakistan is also a major funder of the Taliban, along with being a borderline failed state in many ways.

This is what I mean when I say that not all overseas assassinations are the same, and one being justified does not make the other justified. If a known terrorist was hiding in Pakistan and India took him out, I doubt any of us would be crying crocodile tears. There's also the issue that there is no evidence whatsoever that we have seen that this guy is an actual terrorist, not just someone who hangs out with unsavory people and supports a movement that the Indian government opposes (not without good reason, to be clear).
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2023, 07:43:04 AM »

Why do members of the diaspora love justifying insane actions by their home countries?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2023, 08:26:59 AM »

It is important to note that Canada is a functioning country with high state capacity and an established extradition system. Canada and India established a bilateral extradition treaty in 1987.

For an extreme example of the opposite situation, when we went into Pakistan and killed Bin Laden, it was very obvious that Pakistan had no interest in cooperating and almost certainly had been aware of Bin Laden, who lived less than a mile from the national military academy. Pakistan is also a major funder of the Taliban, along with being a borderline failed state in many ways.

This is what I mean when I say that not all overseas assassinations are the same, and one being justified does not make the other justified. If a known terrorist was hiding in Pakistan and India took him out, I doubt any of us would be crying crocodile tears. There's also the issue that there is no evidence whatsoever that we have seen that this guy is an actual terrorist, not just someone who hangs out with unsavory people and supports a movement that the Indian government opposes (not without good reason, to be clear).

I would frame it as: It is easy for two states with similar civilizational worldviews to come up with a process (which embeds those civilization assumptions) to resolve such matters.  When two states with different civilizational worldviews have to deal with something like this it is hard for such a process, which embeds civilization assumptions, to work.  In such cases resorting to tactics outside said processes might be necessary.  The ability of such a state to get aways with such outside-the-process tactics is a function of said state's relative power to the target state.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2023, 08:44:28 AM »

https://www.opindia.com/2023/09/hardeep-singh-nijjar-had-weekly-meetings-with-canadian-intelligence-officers-before-his-killing/

"Hardeep Singh Nijjar had weekly meetings with Canadian Intelligence Agency before his killing, was being regularly briefed: Nijjar’s son"

Balraj Singh Nijjar, the son of slain Hardeep Singh Nijjar, has told the Canadian media that his father had weekly meetings with Canadian intelligence officials before his murder. As per a report by Canadian news website National Observer, Balraj Singh Nijjar said his father had been meeting with Canadian Security Intelligence Service officers “once or twice a week.”

Hardeep Singh Nijjar might have been a Canadian Intelligence Agency asset while being a Khalistan leader.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2023, 08:53:19 AM »

I find it funny how Indian media coverage, in terms of amount and image projection, of Pierre Poilievre had a massive surge over this last week.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2023, 02:59:19 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/shared-intelligence-five-eyes-informed-trudeaus-india-allegation-ctv-news-2023-09-23/

"Shared intelligence from Five Eyes informed Trudeau's India allegation, CTV News reports"

U.S. Ambassador to Canada David Cohen confirmed that "shared intelligence among Five Eyes partners" had informed Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the possible involvement of Indian agents in the murder of a Canadian citizen in June, CTV News reported.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2023, 04:13:03 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2023, 04:18:58 PM by I hate NIMBYs »

https://www.opindia.com/2023/09/hardeep-singh-nijjar-had-weekly-meetings-with-canadian-intelligence-officers-before-his-killing/

"Hardeep Singh Nijjar had weekly meetings with Canadian Intelligence Agency before his killing, was being regularly briefed: Nijjar’s son"

Balraj Singh Nijjar, the son of slain Hardeep Singh Nijjar, has told the Canadian media that his father had weekly meetings with Canadian intelligence officials before his murder. As per a report by Canadian news website National Observer, Balraj Singh Nijjar said his father had been meeting with Canadian Security Intelligence Service officers “once or twice a week.”

Hardeep Singh Nijjar might have been a Canadian Intelligence Agency asset while being a Khalistan leader.

I'm slightly sceptical of this claim. If this is true, how exactly did his son know about it? Weekly CSIS briefings aren't something you talk to your family about at the dinner table.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies