Boris Yeltsin : February 1, 1931 - April 23, 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:54:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Boris Yeltsin : February 1, 1931 - April 23, 2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Boris Yeltsin : February 1, 1931 - April 23, 2007  (Read 4003 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:58:02 AM »

According to Fox News via Moscow Boris Yeltsin has passed away. More to come I'd imagine.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:07:16 AM »

RIP
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:09:59 AM »

I'll always remember the time that his staff had to call off a visit to Ireland because he was too pissed to get off the plane. RIP.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »

R.I.P.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »

RIP - Russia's first and last democratic post Cold War leader.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »

What is truly regrettable is that the man responsible for so many of Russia's problems today died without facing justice for his actions.

Indeed, storming the parliament because it doesn't agree with you and stealing elections is the height of democracy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »

What is truly regrettable is that the man responsible for so many of Russia's problems today died without facing justice for his actions.

Indeed, storming the parliament because it doesn't agree with you and stealing elections is the height of democracy.

Of course communism was much preferable.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

Yeltsin is to blame for many of the former Soviet bloc's troubles. Read this piece from The Nation, which argues that Russians would have been better off under a reformed Soviet Union than under the "neo-Bolshevik" Yeltsin crew.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »

The reformed Soviet Union during Gorbachev's later years WAS a better and more democratic place than Russia today, or most of the former republics (which are still mostly tin-pot dictatorships). The Soviet Union surviving in the direction taken by Gorbachev would've probably been preferable to what we have today.

How much of this was Yeltsin's fault is debatable though. He did let Putin take over though.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »

Rest in Peace though I have to second GMantis's comment that Yeltsin was nothing close to the crusading democrat he is protrayed as in the West. Overall he was a more affable Putin who did his dealings and chicanery in a more discreet way.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 02:47:43 PM »

Yeltsin is to blame for many of the former Soviet bloc's troubles. Read this piece from The Nation, which argues that Russians would have been better off under a reformed Soviet Union than under the "neo-Bolshevik" Yeltsin crew.

Any govt that is democratic is much preferable over any "reformed" Soviet govt. The best thing that ever happened to this world was the day the Soviet Union fell, hands down. What's a shame though is unlike the Nazi govt and its' leaders the Soviets got away with all their crimes, no one was ever prosecuted.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 03:10:15 PM »

Of course communism was much preferable.
Democracy is of course preferable to totalitarianism and capitalism is generally a better economic system than communism. On the other hand the way the transfer from communism to democracy - engineered by Yeltsin - was probably the most destructive method possible. The majority of people experienced a fall in living standards while a small minority was able to get super rich by the foolish privatization of Russia's industries. Organized crime, practically indistinguishable from major business, with whom Yeltsin was closely associated greatly expanded.
In fact it cab be argued that Yeltsin harmed democracy and the free market in Russia. His weak and incompetent leadership popular and the association of economic hardship with democracy increased nostalgia for communism and strong, if undemocratic leadership. And the accumulation of such a large part of Russia's industry in the hands of a few oligarchs certainly didn’t create a free economy - especially as the oligarchs have no interest in a level competition. Many of Putin's actions against businessmen were actually attempts to reduce the influence of people who acquired wealth and a dangerous influence in an unclear way.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:16:27 PM »

Any govt that is democratic is much preferable over any "reformed" Soviet govt. The best thing that ever happened to this world was the day the Soviet Union fell, hands down. What's a shame though is unlike the Nazi govt and its' leaders the Soviets got away with all their crimes, no one was ever prosecuted.
What you're ignoring is that the reformed Soviet government was also envisioned as democratic. The collapse of the SU created enormous politic, economic and other problems not only for Russia, but for most other former Soviet republics and many of the countries near the Soviet Union. Of course many countries gained much from the collapse, especially Western Europe and the USA. So I would correct your statement to "The best thing that ever happened to America was the day the Soviet Union fell, hands down"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »

There's nothing 'democratic' about Russia today or any of the Stan countries that were left in the wreckage of its downfall.  Go look at freedom house ratings.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 05:04:29 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2007, 05:06:20 PM by ag »

Somebody wrote today that "we don't have anybody alive anymore in Russian politics". Couldn't be more true. Whatever his mistakes and flaws (and there were aplenty), he towered over all those fidgeting midgets that play Russian politics. He came close to actually achieving a liberal democracy in Russia - a no minor feat. That he didn't quite know what it was, was compensated by his instincts. Unfortunately, once he was no longer in the Kremlin, his instincts didn't matter anymore, and he never figured out how to transform instincts into institutions, but that's another story.

Even when he was at his worst, he was not vengeful, was not prone to smothering discent. Those, who recall his ordering tanks to go against the Supreme Soviet (a horrible episode of horrible time that few of those present here can fully conceptualize), should also recall, that he never persecuted those he defeated that day. In fact, his vice-president Rutskoi, who led the revolt against him and was ousted, in a short while became a (freely elected) governor of his native province (today, long removed from office through poorly disguised electoral chickanery by Putin, Rutskoi gave some of the most sincere public praise of his erstwhile enemy).  No matter what the media would say about him, never once did Yeltsin make an attempt to make them shut up, never once did he even say that he minded it. 

I'll  talk about his mistakes and his flaws another day. He was (and is likely to remain) the only Russian president I ever voted for, and I am not ashamed of this vote.

RIP
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 05:19:40 PM »

No matter what the media would say about him, never once did Yeltsin make an attempt to make them shut up, never once did he even say that he minded it. 

Didn't have any of them shot either
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »

He was my favourite Russian leader. Especially when he got drunk one time and conducted a band, at a function. RIP Boris.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 05:15:01 AM »

Definitely preferable to Putin, despite his flaws.

RIP.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 06:23:54 AM »

Somebody wrote today that "we don't have anybody alive anymore in Russian politics". Couldn't be more true. Whatever his mistakes and flaws (and there were aplenty), he towered over all those fidgeting midgets that play Russian politics. He came close to actually achieving a liberal democracy in Russia - a no minor feat. That he didn't quite know what it was, was compensated by his instincts. Unfortunately, once he was no longer in the Kremlin, his instincts didn't matter anymore, and he never figured out how to transform instincts into institutions, but that's another story.

Even when he was at his worst, he was not vengeful, was not prone to smothering discent. Those, who recall his ordering tanks to go against the Supreme Soviet (a horrible episode of horrible time that few of those present here can fully conceptualize), should also recall, that he never persecuted those he defeated that day. In fact, his vice-president Rutskoi, who led the revolt against him and was ousted, in a short while became a (freely elected) governor of his native province (today, long removed from office through poorly disguised electoral chickanery by Putin, Rutskoi gave some of the most sincere public praise of his erstwhile enemy).  No matter what the media would say about him, never once did Yeltsin make an attempt to make them shut up, never once did he even say that he minded it. 

I'll  talk about his mistakes and his flaws another day. He was (and is likely to remain) the only Russian president I ever voted for, and I am not ashamed of this vote.

RIP
I don't know about you, but my understanding of liberal democracy doesn't include the way elections were run in Russia during Yeltsin ( and of course today as well).
As for his grace towards his enemies, I don't think that this is to his credit.
Rutskoy was released after the general amnesty decreed by the Duma, which included many of Yeltsin's opponents and he was initially banned from running in the election, until the Supreme Court permitted it.
I don't want to sound callous and I generally believe that "about the dead either good or nothing" but I couldn't just let such untrue statements (in my opinion) to stand.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »

Whatever his mistakes and flaws (and there were aplenty), he towered over all those fidgeting midgets that play Russian politics.
Change your tenses and I'd think you're talking of Putin...

Yeah, most of what needed to be said here has been said in this thread already...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 02:14:20 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2007, 02:37:39 PM by ag »

Whatever his mistakes and flaws (and there were aplenty), he towered over all those fidgeting midgets that play Russian politics.
Change your tenses and I'd think you're talking of Putin...

Yeah, most of what needed to be said here has been said in this thread already...

Compared to Yeltsin Putin is not even a midget - he is a non-entity. The scale of Russian politics has changed Sad.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 02:36:29 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2007, 02:39:37 PM by ag »

I don't know about you, but my understanding of liberal democracy doesn't include the way elections were run in Russia during Yeltsin ( and of course today as well).
As for his grace towards his enemies, I don't think that this is to his credit.
Rutskoy was released after the general amnesty decreed by the Duma, which included many of Yeltsin's opponents and he was initially banned from running in the election, until the Supreme Court permitted it.
I don't want to sound callous and I generally believe that "about the dead either good or nothing" but I couldn't just let such untrue statements (in my opinion) to stand.

Russia has never been a real democracy. But these were the only elections to real legislative and executive offices in Russian history where the winner was not pre-determined beforehand.  Given that, and the fact that it seems increasingly unlikely that in the nearest future we shall observe anything like that, it was not a minor achievement.  As for the relative role of the courts and the Duma - the very fact that they were allowed to act independently and that the president actually obeyed  their decisions is mind-bogglingly atypical for that country (those same courts and the Duma these days swallow all sorts of indignities with hardly a pipsqueak).  There were many things he did wrong (his disastrous choice of the successor being but the last unforgivable error), but his term of government was the only period in Russian history when it seemed Russia might become a democracy. Quite an achievement, in my humble opinion.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »

He stormed parliament because his own vice president tried to carry out a coup to restore the good old days.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »

I agree with ag and TexasGurl makes a good point too. Yeltsin was one of the best leaders Russia has had, and even though the competition wasn't that great he should still be respected for that. RIP.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies