Should 14 and 15 year olds be able to get full driver's licenses?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:40:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should 14 and 15 year olds be able to get full driver's licenses?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should 14 and 15 year olds be able to get full driver's licenses?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Should 14 and 15 year olds be able to get full driver's licenses?  (Read 12126 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2007, 12:48:06 PM »

They can in North Dakota. The minimum age in ND is actually 14 and 6 months (you have to be 14 to get a learner's permit, and have to have one for 6 months to get a full license). To get one under 16 though you must complete a behind the wheel driver's ed class, 16 and up you just have to pass the test.

I see nothing wrong with the law and think it should be that way in all 50 states.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »

Why not.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »

Is there really a pressing need for 14 year old's to drive?  Why not make it 12 or 10?  Is there any reason why it should be lowered?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »

I just turned 16 and now I have to get Behind the Wheels Lesson and wait almost month before getting my permit, which I must wait til I'm 17 to get a license.  But I see why NJ has a higher age than ND, just compare the conditions
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »

Is there really a pressing need for 14 year old's to drive?  Why not make it 12 or 10?  Is there any reason why it should be lowered?

I think the idea behind it was so that kids in rural areas could drive themselves to school. But I lived in an urban area and could still get my license at the same age (got it at 15 though).

I just turned 16 and now I have to get Behind the Wheels Lesson and wait almost month before getting my permit, which I must wait til I'm 17 to get a license.  But I see why NJ has a higher age than ND, just compare the conditions

There are parts of NJ more rural than where I lived in ND.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:32:40 PM »

If the person actually is both mentally and physically capable of driving the car, I don't see why not.

I do think that the tests that must be passed should be much more stringent for younger people, though.  The younger you go, the less people there are who really should be driving a car.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »

There are parts of NJ more rural than where I lived in ND.

Not where I live and not for the most part
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »

Should be a state issue (within reason) as it is now.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

If the person actually is both mentally and physically capable of driving the car, I don't see why not.

I do think that the tests that must be passed should be much more stringent for younger people, though.  The younger you go, the less people there are who really should be driving a car.

The same can be said for the elderly.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »

It is up to the individual states.  However, unlike N. Dakota where there is actually a NEED for younger drivers (due to the great travel distances and lack of public transportation), most other states can get by with a more reasonable 16+ age limit.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »

(due to the great travel distances and lack of public transportation)

That wasn't true where I lived.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »

The same can be said for the elderly.

Yes, I agree there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »

Non. If anything the driving age should be around 20 or so.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »

Personally I believe that every 5-10 years EVERYONE should have to retake and pass the driver's exam.

This would accomplish the following:

1. Prevent the elderly who are physically incapable of driving safely from doing so (although I suspect a great many would continue albeit illegally).

2. Should keep drivers updating themselves on changes in the laws of the road.

I will admit I am unfamiliar with the situation in North Dakota but I certainly cannot imagine my friend's 13 year old daughter driving in a year.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »

They do it in Alberta too. Personally, if you pass the test, what's the problem. There should be no age limits if a test is involved.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »

Personally I believe that every 5-10 years EVERYONE should have to retake and pass the driver's exam.

Oh god no; the instructors are bitchy enough as it is.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »

Personally, if you pass the test, what's the problem.

I would agree, with the caveat that I would also agree that it should be made absolutely certain that passing the test does actually reflect the fact that you are fully and completely capable of driving a car, the reason being that the younger a candidate is, the less likely that person is to be physically or mentally able to drive a car.  You don't want a faulty test churning out tons of people who really should not be on the road (though this is true with the current driving ages, too).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »

I agree, though people give me a strange look when I bring it up in discussions.  Especially in the DC area where there are new drivers from all over the world every year.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 08:26:03 PM »

Personally, if you pass the test, what's the problem.

I would agree, with the caveat that I would also agree that it should be made absolutely certain that passing the test does actually reflect the fact that you are fully and completely capable of driving a car, the reason being that the younger a candidate is, the less likely that person is to be physically or mentally able to drive a car.  You don't want a faulty test churning out tons of people who really should not be on the road (though this is true with the current driving ages, too).

Yes, and obviously, the tests would have to be a little more strict as well.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »

I say reduce the amount of bureaucracy needed for driving. As you can see I'm for natural seleciton and do not buy humanitarian arguments.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 09:42:42 PM »

I say reduce the amount of bureaucracy needed for driving. As you can see I'm for natural seleciton and do not buy humanitarian arguments.

I know you'll be all for it when nature selects you as the next guy to be hit by a car.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 11:29:55 PM »

They can in North Dakota. The minimum age in ND is actually 14 and 6 months (you have to be 14 to get a learner's permit, and have to have one for 6 months to get a full license). To get one under 16 though you must complete a behind the wheel driver's ed class, 16 and up you just have to pass the test.

I see nothing wrong with the law and think it should be that way in all 50 states.

Most children that age can't handle driving, don't use the excuse of "they have to pass a driver's ed test" A dog could have passed the program I took w/o a problem.

Stop trying to fight the man on everything, the man owns you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »

Most children that age can't handle driving, don't use the excuse of "they have to pass a driver's ed test" A dog could have passed the program I took w/o a problem.

Stop trying to fight the man on everything, the man owns you.

Then Texas needs a tougher test.

This isn't causing massive traffic problems in ND and don't say that's because it's ND and there's no one on the road since in the cities that's not true at all. Bismarck's rush hour is made even worse by the absolutely terrible traffic light system (although my family says it's been improved in the last few years)...
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 07:19:18 AM »

Over 50% of all traffic/road ordinances are nothing but scams to leeech money off of people.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies