Price Harry May Quit the Army if He is Not Allowed to See Combat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:42:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Price Harry May Quit the Army if He is Not Allowed to See Combat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Price Harry May Quit the Army if He is Not Allowed to See Combat  (Read 1248 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »

British army reconsiders sending Prince Harry to Iraq by Robin Millard
2 hours, 34 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) - Britain's army chiefs are reviewing plans to send Prince Harry to        Iraq amid fears he could be targeted, officials said Thursday, but friends downplayed warnings he may quit if prevented from going.

The Ministry of Defence said the 22-year-old's imminent deployment was under "constant consideration," after a newspaper report said army bosses were reviewing the decision amid a spike in British deaths in Iraq.

The Sun newspaper said the second lieutenant could be stopped from being sent to southern Iraq because insurgents might try to kidnap or kill him, putting fellow troops in extra danger.

Such a decision would likely infuriate the prince, third-in-line to the British throne, who has said there would be "no way" he would train to become an officer then sit around while his soldiers fought.

Harry is known as Cornet Wales in the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry, in which he is responsible for 11 soldiers and four Scimitar reconnaissance vehicles.

A Household Cavalry source warned that Harry would resign if he could not serve on the front line.

The source told Britain's domestic Press Association: "This is what he signed up for and if he doesn't go, he will sign off and leave. He joined the army for a bit of excitement and for him to be told he's not going would be awful.

"There will be bad feeling in the regiment if they stop him," he added.

a But the prince's friends told the BBC that though Harry would be "very disappointed" if he was switched to a desk job, he would not quit the army.

Royal aides said: "Harry's a grown-up and he'll take whatever the decision is, but he wants to go.

"He would be extremely disappointed but to say he would quit is way too strong."

The MoD confirmed in February that Harry would be deployed to Iraq. His six-month tour was expected to start in May.

April has been one of the deadliest months for British forces in Iraq since the US-led invasion of March 2003. To date 11 lives have been lost, including a corporal doing Harry's armoured reconnaissance troop leader job.

The Sun said the army was reconsidering his deployment. "It's very complicated," a source told the tabloid. "No one wants to gift a PR victory to the insurgents by withdrawing him.

"But there is a groundswell of opinion across senior ranks now that to allow Harry to serve in the open with his men will lead to an inevitable disaster."

Citing militant sources, The Observer newspaper said Sunday that Iraqi militia groups had drawn up detailed plans to seize Harry as a hostage.

An MoD spokesman told the weekly: "The bad guys know that he's coming and we expect that they will consider him a high-profile scalp."

In an interview to mark his 21st birthday in September 2005, Harry said: "There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst (the elite military academy) and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country."

Harry would become the first British royal to see active service since his uncle Prince Andrew flew helicopters in the 1982 Falklands War with Argentina.

Prime Minister        Tony Blair refused to be drawn, saying it was "a matter for the army."

Major General Julian Thompson said he would resign if he was in Harry's position and was held back from fighting.

"He is in an armoured vehicle and would be extremely difficult to spot, and difficult to kidnap," he said.

"If he doesn't go we are saying he is not a proper soldier.

"If it were me I would resign my position on the grounds that they are not letting me do the job I am being paid to do."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to recall a lot of people making comments about him only getting into it to have something cushy to do.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »

I like his Cajones.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:35:58 PM »

Why not give Harry a pseudonym (and maybe other disguising ops like shaving his hair off, etc) and have him sent in to serve as a common soldier in his field of expertise, without anyone (including the insurgents) knowing he's really a Prince?

Then, he can face the same risks as any other British soldier.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »

Why not give Harry a pseudonym (and maybe other disguising ops like shaving his hair off, etc) and have him sent in to serve as a common soldier in his field of expertise, without anyone (including the insurgents) knowing he's really a Prince?

Then, he can face the same risks as any other British soldier.

Looks way too inbred for that to work.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »

That's the price for having a hereditary ruling class.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »

Harry is third in like.  William is healthy and straight.  Charles has siblings with children.  Go for it, HRH.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:21:52 AM »

It's not like his going to become King of England anytime soon, I say go to the front-lines!
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »

I saw an article today that stated that there is a $625,000 reward for killing or capturing Prince Harry in Iraq.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »

Looking to shoot some plebes, uh?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »

I saw an article today that stated that there is a $625,000 reward for killing or capturing Prince Harry in Iraq.

What's the reward up to on UBL?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »

What's the reward up to on UBL?

$20 million I believe. Yes compared to that $650,000 is nothing but it could be a nice door prize for any insurgent group in Iraq to get a hold of.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 04:20:25 AM »

Hmmm. I could use that type of money.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies