Debate Impressions: Democratic Debate 4/26/07
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:21:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Debate Impressions: Democratic Debate 4/26/07
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Which candidates did the best job in tonights debate?
Biden

Clinton

Dodd

Edwards

Gravel

Kucinich

Obama

Richardson

None

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Debate Impressions: Democratic Debate 4/26/07  (Read 7787 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »

Here's what I thought...

- This debate could've been showed in 2004 and not much would be different.
- Richardson was unimpressive (and I like Richardson!). He was sweating and seemed nervous and came off as frustrated at points.
- Kucinich must be pretty happy that Gravel is in the race because he is no long the biggest loon on the stage.
- Hillary reminds me of a middle school vice principal when she speaks but besides that she wasn't that bad.
- Obama's performance was pretty average, I've seen much better from him. I did like his exchange between Kucinich and Gravel. "I'm not launching any nukes, Mike"; his ability to not get worked up in situations like that is a great asset.
- Edwards was vague (Shock!).
- No real comments on Dodd.
- I thought Biden did quite well. He gave constructive answers and his one word answer was great.

That's about it for now. Your thoughts?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »

I think Biden won and I don't really like him at all. I don't like Clinton either but she did pretty well as did Obama. The rest could have done better.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:16:26 PM »

Obama's "hold on, Dennis" and Biden's "yes" were both great. Gravel was funny. Richardson underperformed. I liked Dodd's speaking style, but nothing he said really stood out. Kucinich is mildly annoying, and Edwards and Hillary are both boring.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »

As I said in the other thread, I believe Biden did the best, followed right behind by Obama.  Richardson was dead last.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:17:51 PM »

Here's how I rank it...

Biden
Obama
--------------
Clinton
Kucinich
Dodd
--------------
Gravel
Richardson
Edwards
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »

I've been really hesitant on Obama so far, but I think he was very good tonight.  He's definitely going up on my list.
Biden was also very good.  He remains my #1 choice.
Clinton gave a solid performance that she needed.

Edwards was below average, but as my mom pointed out to me, he's probably too preoccupied with his wife.

Richardson was the worst...his points were fine, but his delivery was awful.  He looked uncomfortable.

Kucinich was excellent, entertaining, and made good points, but he's obviously not really in it to win.  Gravel was a distraction, albeit entertaining, that didn't belong.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »

Here's how I rank it...

Biden
Obama
--------------
Clinton
Kucinich
Dodd
--------------
Gravel
Richardson
Edwards

I pretty much agree. I didn't like Biden's one-word answer so much, though. It sounded more as if he couldn't defend himself than that he chose not to. I also thought Gravel did well, he was just crazy. Richardson was really disappointing.

Obama
Biden
Dodd (for not sounding like a tape recording)
Gravel
Clinton
Kucinich
Edwards
Richardson
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:21:20 PM »

Richardson really didn't seem ready for prime time (which is funny based on his experience) and it's really not going to help him. He'll be Secretary of State at most.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 08:26:10 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2007, 08:28:23 PM by fe234 »

Here's how I rank it...

Biden
Obama
--------------
Clinton
Kucinich
Dodd
--------------
Gravel
Richardson
Edwards

I pretty much agree. I didn't like Biden's one-word answer so much, though. It sounded more as if he couldn't defend himself than that he chose not to. I also thought Gravel did well, he was just crazy. Richardson was really disappointing.

Obama
Biden
Dodd (for not sounding like a tape recording)
Gravel
Clinton
Kucinich
Edwards
Richardson

Sometimes the curt remark works best. Why does a person explain something they believe to be so clearly true?

This was my pre-debate prediction, about half-right.

"I'm going to bet $20 in Vegas that Biden offends some minority group with an off-the-cuff statement, Hillary mentions her husband at least 40 times, Dodd will be unmemorable by tomorrow, Edwards will exaggerate his southern accent, Gravel will play the white Al Sharpton, Kucinich will be blah, Obama will be pronounced the winner by the media, and Richardson will just talk and ramble on a whole bunch."

I won't rank best to worst, more just helped or hurt themselves or stayed flat.

Helped: Obama, Biden, Gravel
Hurt: Edwards, Richardson
Flat: H. Clinton, Kucinich, Dodd
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »

I thought Dodd did very well (gave a great answer on civil uions). Clinton was polished but predictable.  Obama seemed a little nervous and not as commanding as he should've been. I liked Edwards better than most, but he flubbed the hedge fund question.

Gravel was the bomb-thrower, which was great. I liked most of what Kucinich had to say. Overall, no big winners or losers. But I definitely think Obama has to perform better next time.

I thought Brian Williams really sucked as one of the moderators. Most of his questions sounded like they were written by Brit Hume or one of the Fox News pundits.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »

I thought Dodd did very well (gave a great answer on civil uions). Clinton was polished but predictable.  Obama seemed a little nervous and not as commanding as he should've been. I liked Edwards better than most, but he flubbed the hedge fund question.

Gravel was the bomb-thrower, which was great. I liked most of what Kucinich had to say. Overall, no big winners or losers. But I definitely think Obama has to perform better next time.

I thought Brian Williams really sucked as one of the moderators. Most of his questions sounded like they were written by Brit Hume or one of the Fox News pundits.

He challenged the candidates' views. That's what I want to hear. I'd rather hear that than "What's your opinion of the President?"
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 08:37:09 PM »

In all honesty, I was most impressed by Kucinich.  He might not be a real candidate, but he seems to think he is, and that is going a long way towards acctually being one.  More of this, and he might acctually be a presence in the race.  He seemed more confident.  More on the ball.  More personally and intellectually put-together than he did last time out.  He acctually looked like he belonged there, rather than just howling at the moon.

Richardson had far and away the worst performance.  Expectations for him were pretty high and he exceled in not meeting them tonight.  It's still early, but his campaign was dealt a major blow tonight.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »

Joe Biden really won this one... Which surprises me... (I'm not big on Biden, but if you go on points he was impressive)

Obama second and Dodd third. (Obama should really have won, but I just didn't see it in him... He's done better... Chris Dodd also made the most he could of his appearance)

I was surprised at how poor Richardson did... This will really hurt him... I think his campaign has officially ended.

Mike Gravel was entertaining, and this will be one of his last limelight moments, so more power to him for a good performance.

Hillary... I don't like her... She comes off as this really stuck up b*tch... Not at all like her husband. She ran through talking points, but was lackluster.

Dennis Kucinich should just go back to playing hunt the wumpus. Not that he was bad... Just... He comes off as Marvin the Martian... Give him credit for trying though.

John Edwards was really weak, though not the worst. His charisma didn't show, and he flubbed quite a bit... This'll hurt his campaign, as he was actually making gains.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »

In all honesty, I was most impressed by Kucinich.  He might not be a real candidate, but he seems to think he is, and that is going a long way towards acctually being one.  More of this, and he might acctually be a presence in the race.  He seemed more confident.  More on the ball.  More personally and intellectually put-together than he did last time out.  He acctually looked like he belonged there, rather than just howling at the moon.

I agree. It seems like he's been briefed very well; he always had an answer and never seemed like he was at a loss for words.

Richardson had far and away the worst performance.  Expectations for him were pretty high and he exceled in not meeting them tonight.  It's still early, but his campaign was dealt a major blow tonight.

Indeed. If things keep up this way then Biden may replace Richardson as the "fourth option".

I thought Gravel was much more entertaining at the Nevada event. Here he just seemed to be really pissed off and yelling all the time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »

Indeed. If things keep up this way then Biden may replace Richardson as the "fourth option".
I think if tonight is an indicator, Biden could be in third before we know it.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 08:44:36 PM »

- This debate could've been showed in 2004 and not much would be different.

Anyone agree with that?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »

In all honesty, I was most impressed by Kucinich.  He might not be a real candidate, but he seems to think he is, and that is going a long way towards acctually being one.  More of this, and he might acctually be a presence in the race.  He seemed more confident.  More on the ball.  More personally and intellectually put-together than he did last time out.  He acctually looked like he belonged there, rather than just howling at the moon.

I agree. It seems like he's been briefed very well; he always had an answer and never seemed like he was at a loss for words.

Richardson had far and away the worst performance.  Expectations for him were pretty high and he exceled in not meeting them tonight.  It's still early, but his campaign was dealt a major blow tonight.

I thought Gravel was much more entertaining at the Nevada event. Here he just seemed to be really pissed off and yelling all the time.

I think that, for Kucinich, getting his wife involved was also a good move.  It makes him look less like the kid who used to pick his nose and eat it, back in 3rd Grade.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 08:46:56 PM »

Notice how none of them supported Kucinich's impeachment proceedings against Cheney?

Expected of course and I would be the same if in their shoes. That would be a mark against for becoming the Democratic nominee for whoever supported it in my eyes. But I would've loved Williams to ask one of the other Democrats currently in the Senate "why not?" after asking Kucinich why he put it in.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »

There's one thing I can say for certain:

Russ Feingold would've crushed every Democrat in the debate tonight had he decided to run. I'm still kind of bummed that he didn't run.

He is head and shoulders above every presidential candidate in either party when it comes to debate skills.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 09:07:42 PM »

I think that, for Kucinich, getting his wife involved was also a good move.  It makes him look less like the kid who used to pick his nose and eat it, back in 3rd Grade.

heh she looks more like his daughter who's helping his campaign more than his wife.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

It was interesting that, correct me if I'm wrong, there were no global warming questions.

It would've been interesting to see what it would've been like if Gore was in there.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:15 PM »

Although I supported Richardson before the debate, but I am no longer sure, since he did pretty horribly in the debate. I think Biden may have made a supporter out of me today, him and, to a lesser extent, Kucinich.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 09:28:58 PM »

Didn't get a chance to watch it since I had to work,  anyone know if its online anywhere or when any replays might be aired?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »

FYI. For the liberal view:

DailyKos Debate Winner Poll

4,864 votes total

Edwards 1,019 votes 20%
Obama 866 17%
Clinton 517 10%
Gravel 468 9%
Richardson 306 6%
Kucinich 245 5%
Biden 174 3%
Dodd 101 2%
More than One of the Above 589 12%
None of the Above 579 11%
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »

FYI. For the liberal view:

DailyKos Debate Winner Poll

4,864 votes total

Edwards 1,019 votes 20%
Obama 866 17%
Clinton 517 10%
Gravel 468 9%
Richardson 306 6%
Kucinich 245 5%
Biden 174 3%
Dodd 101 2%
More than One of the Above 589 12%
None of the Above 579 11%

The DailyKos community adores and fawns over Edwards so his spot should be no surprise. It's a sign that he did poorly that he only managed 20% in the DKos poll.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies