Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:03:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!  (Read 41735 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2007, 03:20:20 AM »

Brothers,

Cardinal Cruijif speaks well on this issue and I find that his words are quite convincing. I also, however, find that they are words which I have heard before. I have no doubt about the sincerity of Brother Cruijiff's committment, but I am not convinced that he can fully appreciate what these injustices that he speak of entail. I must also take issue with my Brother's assertion that we cannot do and act, but must only speak of these matters. Again, I fear that this may be the perspective of someone who, working within the Vatican rather than out of it, is used more to talking than to acting. There is much I believe, that a servant of God, not only can do, but must do in the face of injustice, something I, and I think most others present here, have experienced many times. But let me applaud Cardinal Cruijiff's concern for us in the poorer parts of the world, which is of course greatly appreciated, and at the same time assure him that we are ourselves not going to idly await help, but aim to improve our situation under the guidance of God. Thank you Brothers.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »

Brothers,

Social justice is undoubtedly an important issue for the Church to address.  It is no secret that the economic realities of the present can create inequalities in our future.  So I can see the argument of my distinguished colleagues when they say the Church must take action to fix these injustices.  But I disagree in the methods proposed to combat these ills.  It is moral depravity that we must combat to realign the odds in favor of the weak and downtrodden.

Consider it this way, brothers.  Whom does the current moral alignment benefit?  It is the haves, not the have-nots, that see the benefits of today's corruption, for they can freely engage in the activities espoused by its primary promoters.  The less fortunate citizens, meanwhile, are left desiring those fruits of immorality, without the means to indulge in them.  By empowering them with a vivid, appealing alternative to the licentious lifestyle of the rich and famous, the Church can lead the way to a more healthy life for those downtrodden souls.  Abstinence from many of the unhealthy rituals of today brings prosperity tomorrow. 

This is a message that can and should also be extended to those who are already prosperous, of course.  In ministering to the subjugated of other nations, we must not forget those in the western world who, amidst the hustle and bustle of everyday life, forget to leave time for the Church and God.  Tradition provides a good counterpoint to the hustle-bustle materialistic culture of contemporary living.  By being an oasis of unchanging calm in a world ripped apart every day by some new innovation or idea, the Church can be a powerful tool in the life of a believer.

So, yes, brothers, we should extend our message to the poor and downtrodden across the world, those who have been so sidelined by the excesses of globalization that they have no other recourse.  But, in doing so, we must not lose sight of the importance of our cultural and religious homelands.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »

Voting for the 7th Ballot will now begin
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2007, 10:05:59 PM »

Cheng

((I'm lazy Kiki))
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2007, 11:16:26 PM »

Antonelli
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2007, 05:19:03 AM »

Lumbayo
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

Cruijff
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »

Cruijff
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »

miller
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2007, 04:59:42 PM »

Sepe
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:20 AM »

Sorry, this game is closed to those who are already playing, you are more than welcome to be in the next one though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2007, 12:26:37 AM »

Sorry for the long delay.

This ballot is now concluded.  I will have the results for you shortly.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »

*Black smoke rises from the Vatican*

Announcer:  And it once again appears that the Cardinals of the Catholic Church have failed to elect a Pope.  That makes four whole days now that have gone by.  As per tradition, there will be a recess from voting tomorrow, for prayer and discussion, and the voting will continue the next day.  We will provide coverage of those events when they occur.  Back to the studio.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2007, 08:05:08 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

The Results of the 7th Ballot are as follows

Cruijff - 24
Lumbayo - 23
Miller - 13
Antonelli - 11
Cheng - 10
Ribeiro - 8

The results of this ballot are inconclusive.

As you all know, tomorrow will be a day for you all to talk about your selections.  I am sure that whoever you decide on will be God's choice.  And that you will keep that in mind when you go forth to your meetings.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »

Several conversations and meeting between supporters of different candidates go on over the course of the evening and the next day.  Here are excerpts from some of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tagola: I continue to stay by Ribeiro because of the man's intellectual qualities.  They simply cannot be matched.

Bertone:  Do you not think it at least important that a Pope have some people skills?

Tagola: The man who will sit in that chair has the power to loose and bind here on Earth.  I want such a man to be able to call upon a vast array of knowledge when making those choices and not simply the soundbytes.

Bertone:  You think Cruijff is a simpleton?

Tagola:  No... but I don't think he stands out in most people's minds as being a heavywieght either.  What do we really know about this man anyway?  In the last 40 years, he has sat quietly and taken notes for others.

Bertone:  You haven't worked with him the last 20 years.  I have, I know his quality.  Where is you push for an "intellectual" going to stop?  Would you rather have Cheng sitting in that chair.

Tagola:  Madre Dios!  No!  But I took an oath to vote only for a person I thought capable of assuming the office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Szklar:  I see no reason why we can't agree on that.

Scherer *looks unhappy*:  I suppose.

Bassman:  Brother, If we are going to have a Pope then we must agree on someone.

Szklar:  He isn't that liberal.

Bassman:  And he is not likely to live long.  That will give us a chance to breath.

Scherer:  But he professed that he would call another council.

Bassman:  Most everyone has said that.

Scherer:  Cheng hasn't.  Antonelli hasn't.

Szklar:  Antonelli is too young...

Bassman: And too Italian.

Szklar: ... and Cheng is utterly unelectable.

Scherer:  If the will of God....

Bassman:  If God wanted either of those two men to be elected, don't you think he would have done something about it by now.  It would take a dove decending on Cheng to convince 66 Cardinals to vote for him.

*long silence*

Scherer:  Very well.  I will talk to my people.  I think that's an acceptable choice.

*O'Hara leading prayer service*

O'Hara:  Lord Jesus.  We pray that each of these men might open their hearts and their minds to hear the words of the Spirit.  We do not ask that you might bless our candidate, but we ask humbly, and ernestly, that we might find our way to the man of your choosing.

Amen

Santiago:  As men who represent the poor and oppressed, it is our duty to do what we must to help them.  Gentlemen... we come from the forgotten parts of the world.  The areas that even the men who lead this Church refuse to find favor with.  They pay attention to the problems of the rich, at the expense of the truely needy.  We cannot allow this to happen yet again, with yet another European or... even worse, American Pope.

*some nods of agreement*

Ramos:  Some men find bombastic displays liek the one yours moving, brother.  However, I do not.  I think that, in all your self-rightous Marxist rhetoric, turing unity into chaos, you forget the universal nature of the Church.  We shouldn't elect someone because of geographic or economic interests.

Santiago:  I assure you, there are men in the other parts of the world who agree with me.  Tell me, where is the broad support for the ideas of Opus Dei?

*Ramos points up*

Santiago:  Who is self-rightous, brother?  You talk about work and suffering as being essential to God's plan.  What of those who work all their lives for nothing while fat men in other countries reap the benefits without a second thought for those they have tied down to a life of suffering?

Ramos:  All important concerns, but Christ did not teach health and wealth.  You would do well to remember that.  I would also remind you that nothing has caused more suffering in the history of man than jealousy.

Santiago:  This is a matter of survival.

Ramos:  The Church is already involved in works that help the poor and oppressed accross the world.  I don't see how speaking out about a problem we are already working on is going to make an enormous difference.  I think a Pope should be more focused on assure the correctness of doctrine.  All other concerns are secondary.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2007, 09:32:16 PM »

LaCroix:  Welcome back.  *chuckles*  Well, brother... would any of you like to say anything.

Szklar:  Yes, I would.

*stands*

My brothers, I have spoken with many of you over the last day.  After many discussion, I believe we have found our Pope....
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2007, 09:44:47 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2007, 10:32:29 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

The Results of the 8th Ballot are as follows

Inconclusive

Well, a significant sift is apparent.  The ninth ballot has proven conclusive.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:22 AM »

you SOulty! Sad

Just kidding...I'll take it as a man. Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »

*Shot of smoke rising*

Announcer:  Again, we are live at the Vatican, where smoke has emerged.  We are not sure, at this time, whether is it white or not.  This is reminicent of a few years ago when it was ambiguously gray.  We are waiting for another sign....

*Bell of St. Marco starts to ring... the crowd cheers at an almost deafening level.*

Announcer:  And there it is.  The bell of St. Marco is ringing.  Now we know that the Cardinals have indeed elected a new Pope.  We now go to David O'Flanagan who is on the ground about two miles away from St. Peter's Square.

David:  This is all the closer we could get to the center of the action.  The crowds are piled up well away from the Vatican.  I'm sorry, I'm just talking, but I can barely hear anything.  Once they locals heard the bell, those who were near the Square erupted, and those who weren't dropped whatever they did to run there.  Car horns are going off, its just a mad house.

Announcer:  Alright, well, we are joined by Richard McBrien again, here.  Professor, what do you think happened in the last couple of days, what can we conclude from an announcement now?

McBrien:  Well, during the day recess, it is likely that there were a number of meetings between the Cardinals.  Someone with a lot of joice behind them emerged as a compromise candidate this morning.  From there, he was able to rally the support of a majority of the Cardinals.

Announcer:  Any guess on who is might be?

McBrien:  Well, I would say that it is likely an older individual, someone who is trusted and has expirience.  Certainly given that this all took place right after the recess, that would be my guess.  Probably a member of the Curia, though it would be odd for one member of the Curia to follow another as Pope.  But I won't venture a guess beyond that.

*Several Cardinals emerge onto a balcony to the one side of St. Peter's, they wave to the crowd and join in the celebration*

Announcer:  Well, I would venture to say that the man choosen is not one of those men.  Who do you recongnize there?

McBrien:  Well, lets see, looking at the monitor, I see... Cardinal von Frick, Cardinal Bertone, Cardinal... Cardinal Hume, Cardinal Lumbayo.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2007, 07:02:30 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2008, 05:02:35 AM by Supersoulty »

*Attention shifts to the main ballcony, where Cardinal Romano emerges*

Announcer:  Cardinal Romano will make the announcement to the crowd.

Cardinal Romano: Fratelli e sorelle carissimi.
Queridķsimos hermanos y hermanas.
Bien chers frčres et sœurs.
Liebe Brüder und Schwestern.
Dear brothers and sisters.

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum:
Habemus Papam!

*Crowd cheers*

Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum,
Dominum ...

Antonius
Sanctę Romanę Ecclesię Cardinalem Miller

McBrien:  Wow.

Announcer:  Anthony Miller is the 266th Pontiff.

Archbishop of Armagh, Primate of Ireland

Nationality:  Irish

*After cheers die down*

Romano:  Qui sibi nomen imposuit Leo XIV

Announcer:  Pope Leo XIV.

McBrien:  Not a surprising choice of name.  Many great popes named Leo... including, of course, Leo the Great.  Also, Leo XIII who's encyclical Rerum Novarum drastically changed Catholic social teaching and concern for the poor.

*Romano ducks back behind curtains*

The crowd is awaiting a glimps of the new Pope, and wondering what he might say....
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2007, 08:47:31 PM by Pope Leo XIV »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I welcome all of you with a humble heart to this most Holy place of God. I also greet all that are watching and listening around the world. I am feeling many emotions at the current moment *chuckles*. I am, to be blunt, shocked. But, I am also not without gratitude to my fellow friends and to most of all God. I would also like to thank the Virgin Mary, and all of you for the most warm welcome. It is with great humility that I accept the position once held by the Apostle Peter.

After the death of my honored predecessor Benedict XVI, I hope we may return to a sense of normalcy and march forward on the path to eternal salvation. First I would like to explain my choice of Leo XIV as my papal name. I hope to forge a spiritual connection with my predecessor Leo XIII. He was first and foremost "The People's Pope'' and I hope to replicate that image in my papacy. His courageous will to stand up to French Monarchists, who had considerable power among French Catholics, to support the idea if a French Republic was inspiring. As was his insight into see the flaws in Communism and uncontrolled capitalism. Also, his writings in Rerum Novarum returned the Church to the People and stressed why we need to give great attention to the poor and unfortunate. I pray that he will give me guidance in these most trying times.

Many of us are familiar with the Biblical verse from Romans 12:5.
It says, "Though we are many, we are one body in Christ and individually parts of one another." At the beginning of my Papacy I ask God to unite us into one Church, under God. May we all help one another in our daily tasks and live as one!

This Unity is key to my main goals as the Vicar of Christ. Christians have been, for too long, split from one another. Arguing over the 1% we don't necessarily agree on while ignoring the 99% we do agree on. I believe we can, with the help of God, find common ground on which we can finally unify the Church as it was back in the days of St. Peter. This has been my philosophy from my days fighting for peace in the unnecessary conflict between Christians in my native Ireland.
Let me say that is with many years of thinking that we must call for a Vatican III to clarify a host of positions that the Church and its People are not clear about. I am blunt because that Is what I believe the Council must be, Blunt.

Dear Friends, thank you again for your visit, and thank you for the affection with which you surround me. I cordially reciprocate these sentiments with a special Blessing, which I impart to all of you here, to your relatives and to all your loved ones.

Let us conclude with this prayer:

Sancti Apostoli Petrus et Paulus: de quoroum potestate et auctoritate confidimus ipsi intercedant pro nobis ad Dominum.

R) Amen.

Precibus et meritis beatę Mariae semper Virginis, beati Michaelis Archangeli, beati Ioannis Baptistę, et sanctorum Apostolorum Petri et Pauli et omnium Sanctorum misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus; et dimissis omnibus peccatis vestris, perducat vos Iesus Christus ad vitam ęternam.

R) Amen.

Indulgentiam, absolutionem et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum, spatium verae et fructuosae poenitentię, cor semper penitens, et emendationem vitae, gratiam et consolationem Sancti Spiritus; et finalem perseverantiam in bonis operibus tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus.

R) Amen.

Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis, Pa + tris et Fi + lii et Spiritus + Sancti descendat super vos et maneat semper.

R) Amen.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2007, 03:35:15 AM »

Congratulations Jtf. I suppose we don't get to see the final tally? Though I get the feeling that it was mostly my and Antonioni's voters jumping ship and Jas's to an extent keeping with him?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2007, 07:57:03 PM »

Congratulations Jtf. I suppose we don't get to see the final tally? Though I get the feeling that it was mostly my and Antonioni's voters jumping ship and Jas's to an extent keeping with him?

Thank you. I was quite suprised myself.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »

Congrats on the wise name choice.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2007, 12:47:04 AM »

I will have the article for the Papacy of Leo XIV out in a bit.  I have a Steelers game tomorrow... and I am going to Heinz Field!!!!

Envy me.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies