Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 05:56:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!  (Read 42162 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2007, 07:47:06 AM »

Cardinal Cruijff
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »

Antony Cardinal Miller
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »

Carlos Ortiz Augustine Cardinal de Palma
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »

Alexander Cardinal Cheng
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »

Cardinal Ribeiro, again.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2007, 12:35:18 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2007, 08:42:21 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

The 3rd  ballot has concluded.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2007, 11:25:55 PM »

*Shot of smoke rising.  It's black*

Reporter: And we see smoke rising.  Black smoke.  That means that the College of Cardinals has once again failed to come to an agreement on who will be the next Pope.  We are joined again by Richard McBrien for his take on these events.  Mr. McBrien, thanks for joining us again.

McBrien:  Thank you for having me again.

Reporter:  How are we to look at these events?

McBrien:  Well, first off, I would like to note that the very quick Conclaves that have elected the last 6 Popes are the exception, not the rule.  Usually, there was some odd, pressing circumstance, or long lead up that allowed for the Cardinals to unite quickly.  With Pius XII, it was the threat of war and facsism.  With John Paul II they were simply stunned and wanted to elect someone young and vigorous who would respond to the communist threat.  In 2005, the pro-Ratzinger forces were simply the best organized.  If this Conclave lasted another few days, it wouldn't be at all odd in terms of historical perspective and I think the added wieght of many pressing question about the future of the Church, and not just one or two issues, is probably contributing to the lack of a decision.

Reporter:  In your opinion, what is going on in there right now?

McBrien:  Well, I would expect that, mainly, the front runners are emerging.  I can't tell you who they might be now.  In my studies though, I have seen, time and again, based off of what accounts we can get about Conclaves, is that circumstances can change rapidly.  Candidates can rise and fall  and rise again very quickly.  Whatever is going on in there, I'm sure it is exciting. 

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2007, 11:28:32 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 01:05:39 AM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

The Results of the 3rd Ballot are as follows

Cheng - 13 (Cheng, Shah, Wildauer, Sherer, Ramos, Schuler, Alexandre, Balla, Garcia, Zambrano, Pinera, de Arroyo, Tyler)

Lumbayo - 12 (Adofo, Santiago, Reyes, Lopez, Ramirez, de Lugo, Rias, Kobe, Sauda, Chike, Zari, Michiba)

Cruijff - 11 (Cruijff, McCannon, Romano, Bertone, Rudo, O'Hara, Montini, Soto, Boulanger, Braschi, Sanchez)

Antonelli - 10 (Antonelli, Sepe, Rezzonico, Lambertini, Altieri, Errigo, Caprelli, Gardocki, Latello, Legrand)

Hume - 9 (Hume, Yates, Bassman, Cruz, Fitzgibbon, Gabler, Stojeck, M'Fuma, Lynch)

Jergovic - 9 (Jergovic, Szklar, Ganganelli, Schontag, Howard, Papp, Timochenko, Mineric, Adamkus)

von Frick - 8 (Hernandez, Huber, Robidzer, Herrera, Pascal, Purnomo, Ho, Kulop)

Ribeiro - 6 (von Frick, Tagola, Diaz, de Silva, Alves, Majboo)

Miller - 3 (Miller, MacMillian, Kelley)

Singh - 1 (Gayan)

de Andrade - 1 (Medina)

Santiago - 1 (Lumbayo)

de Palma - 1 (de Palma)

The Results of the 2nd Ballot are as follows

Hume - 11 (Hume, Yates, Hernandez, Bassman, Schontag, Cruz, Pascal, Howard, Fitzgibbon, Stojeck, Lynch)

Ribeiro - 10 (von Frick, Romano, Tagola, Huber, Reyes, Diaz, Herrera, da Silva, Alves, Garcia)

Cheng - 9 (Cheng, Sepe, Shah, Wildauer, Ramos, Alexandre, Zambrano, Pinera, Tyler)

Lumbayo - 8 (Adofo, de Lugo, Kobe, Rudo, Sauda, Chike, Zari, Michiba)

Jergovic - 7 (Jergovic, Szklar, Ganganelli, Papp, Timochenko, Mineric, Adamkus)

Cruijff - 7 (Cruijff, McCannon, Bertone, O'Hara, Montini, Braschi, Sanchez)

Antonelli - 7 (Antonelli, Vallencant, Rezzonico, Lambertini, Altieri, Errigo, Caprelli)

Singh - 5 (de Palma, Singh, Gayan, Ho, Kulop)

de Andrade - 4 (Medina, Soto, Lopez, Ramirez)

Miller - 4 (Miller, MacMillian, Kelley, Latello)

Meier - 3 (Scherer, Schuler, Balla)

von Frick - 2 (Robidzer, Purnomo)

Yates - 2 (de Andrade, M'Fuma)

Santiago - 1 (Lumbayo)

Vallencant - 2 (Boulanger, Legrand)

de Palma - 2 (Santiago, Rias)

Ramos - 1 (de Arroyo)

Bassman - 1 (Gabler)

Szklar - 1 (Gardocki)

Tagola - 1 (Majboo)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(note:  I'm going to use this method of tabulating votes from now on.  The old one was needlessly complicated)

And the results of this vote are, once again, inconclusive.  I again ask each of you to pray and talk amounst yourselves.  I imagine there will be much to discuss tonight.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 12:57:31 AM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

*Later that evening, a conversation takes place in one of the chamber rooms with all Italian Cardinals except Antonelli present, loud enough to be heard in the hallway*

Rezzonico:  What are you doing Bertone!?

Bertone:  Why whatever do you mean, brother Cardinal?

Rezzonico:  We had a plan.  The plan was to stand behind Antonelli.  When I contected you, you agreed that you would support him.

Bertone:  Excuse me, but I did no such thing.

Rezzonico:  I asked you....

Bertone:  You asked me if I had any objections to Antonelli.  I said, I did not, and I don't.  Should he be elected, I will welcome him as the Bishop of Rome.  He is not, however, my first choice.

Rezzonico:  You have a deceitful mind Bertone.

Bertone:  As deceitful as you asking the other Cardinals if they object to a man when what you are really asking is if they support him?

Rezzonico:  You know that I can't....

Bertone:  Ah, yes, I know, brother Cardinal.  Cannon Law forbids us from explicitly instructing or influencing other Cardinals before the start the Conclave.  I am glad that you have been clever enough to find away around it.  Let us speak now of deceit.

*Long silence*

Errigo:  Brother Bertone, if I may, don't you think that the Bishop of Rome should be held by a Roman again?

Bertone:  Antonelli is not a Roman.

Alteri:  You know what he means.

Bertone:  No, I am affraid I do not.  I am dishearted to find that, in this modern era of glabalism, so many of my fellow servants of God still wish to hold to narrow definitions provided by nationalist sentiment.

Lambertini:  Are you accusing us of....

Bertone:  I accuse you of nothing.  Simply an observation.  Where a man was born should matter.  The papacy belongs to all Christians... indeed, all the world.  If we truely believe this man to be the successor of Peter, who, by the way was also not an Italian, how can we think anything different.  Besides, Cardinal Cruijff has servved here in Rome his entire priesthood.  He knows the city, the people and their customs.

If you are affraid that he might neglect his duties to the Vatican or to Rome, then be not affraid, for he has plenty of expirience minding the needs of city.  Need I remind you who seal is behind you now, Brother Lambertini.  That seal, and the seal being mint on all our coins is the seal of our good Brother Johannes.

Twice, he has managed the affairs of this diocese in the absence of a Pope.  More than twice if you consider all the years he spent filling in for Holy Fathers while they traveled the world.  For all intents and purposes, he is the Pope, all I am saying is that we make it official.

Rezzonico:  First of all, you come dangerously close to heresy, Bertone.  Secondly, that is not the seal of Cruijff, that is the seal of the office he just so happens to serve at the moment.  As we are all serving.

Bertone:  Its Prefect Bertone.  I think you should remember that.  And I have worked with Camerlengo Cruijff for many years.  I support him because I know he is a good man.  We need good men.  If there is one thing that my time serving has taught me, it is that inspite all the pretenses we make about Bishops and the Holy Spirit, the office is far less important than the man.

Rezzonico:  I understand this.

Bertone:  Do you?  It seems to me that you covet the office far more than you care about who serves there.

Rezzonico:  That's not true.  Antonelli is a good man.  We all think that.

Bertone:  You know, I do believe you when you say that.  I simply wish that you would take that as your primary consideration and not as a secondary convienence.

Rezzonico:  And what say you Montini?  I could not help but to laugh when the papers identified you as a leader of us Italian Cardinals.  It is obvious to anyone who knows you who holds your leash.

*Montini remains quiet*

Prefect, this is a meeting of Italian Cardinals.  I invited you here as a courtesy...

Bertone:  I can tell as much with how courtious you have been to me thus far.

Rezzonico: ... however, you obviously don't belong.

Bertone:  I shall take my leave then.  Have a good evening brothers.  I will pray for you.

*Those standing outside see Bertone leave the room.  He briefly turns to them and an almost  imperceptible smile can be seen on his face*

(Note: I did not specify who heard this conversation, so I assume that each of you were either there, or heard about it second hand)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »

*Bertone stands up at the Conclave the next morning*

Bertone:  Brothers, I must ask.  What does the Papacy mean to each of you?  Who do you honestly believe is the right kind of man to sit in the thrown of people?  What is the most important thing that a Vicar of Christ can bring to the world?  What duties does the Bishop of Rome owe to his diocese?  Does he owe any, in the modern era?  And finally, do you thing the office makes the man, or is it the man who makes the office?

*glances at members of Italian delegation*

Thank you.

*sits down*
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:57 AM »

Cardinal Antonelli slowly rises.

My Brothers,

To me, the Papacy is the most important Earthly guidance of faith. I may be considered rather youthful by this Conclave's standards but I have seen my fair share of Popes to know how important he is as a shepherd to this flock. Without the Papacy, this would never be a truly universal Church. Many here have raised worries about our Church become divided along geographical and cultural lines. Without this most sacred and revered institution, those factions would rule and the Church as we know it would no longer exist. That is why this unifying force is so important to me.

The right kind of man to sit in the thrown of the people would be a man of the people. I greatly admire the scholars before us and the members of the Vatican leadership but we need a man who has his roots with the people and has lived and worked among them as the head of a diocese. This is also the most important thing that the Vicar of Christ can bring to our world whether it be to our fellow Christians or members of other faiths. We have been regarded more as royalty for far too long. Give to the world a humble man who better understands the world outside of the gates of the Holy See.

I do believe that the next Bishop of Rome would benefit from having a cultural connection to the people of Rome but I can't see this as a duty. The one among us, the next successor to Peter, must focus on his worldly duties first so that members of every diocese in the world, from Rome to Rio de Janiero, from Palermo to Port au Prince, from Milan to Manila, may thrive as Christians.

Cardinal Antonelli turns to Cardinal Bertone, taking a deep breath.

And finally, this office is far more important than any man who has ever served in its capacity. We all have something to learn from this institution and this institution will greatly benefit from the actions of the man who is chosen to serve but never will a man "make" this office.

Cardinal Antonelli nods to Cardinal Bertone, smiles, and takes his seat.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2007, 01:45:48 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 01:47:45 AM by SoFA Gabu »

(Jergović rises)

The papacy is... (pauses and smiles) Well, you ask a very broad question, brother; forgive me a moment while I collect my thoughts.  This obviously is an important subject for you, and I wish to give you the best answer possible.

To me, the papacy - the papacy is the future, to put it as simply as I can.  The future of the Church, certainly, but not only that.  Our faith is one of the largest in the world, and there is no corner of the Earth that it does not touch.  The daily lives of countless millions are directly touched by what we do.  We should not fool ourselves into thinking that there is any action that we take that does not create ripples and waves to all ends of the world.  So it is in this way that the papacy is more than just the future of the church - it is, quite simply, the future of the world itself.

So it is quite apparent who I believe to be the sort of man who is the right kind to attain this position.  As I have stressed on numerous occasions in the past, the most important thing after our Lord and Savior with whom we should concern ourselves is none other than the people whom we strive to save - to save not only their souls, but also their earthly bodies from disease and suffering.  Thus, there is none better to tend to the people than one who has dedicated his life to the people.

The most important thing that the Vicar of Christ can bring to the world is, quite simply, the fundamental thing that Christ himself brought to the world: hope.  Hope for the future, for the souls of the world, for the impoverished nations of the world, for the poor children who go without proper nourishment or education, for the meek whom God has decreed shall inherit the world.  While none can ignore the innumerable contributions by those working with the people on the ground, the ultimate direction comes from none other than the Vicar of Christ himself.  Thus it is imperative, above all else, that he be one who can realize the words and mimic the actions that Christ brought to the world.

For quite some time, the actual administration of the diocese of Rome has been delegated to the cardinal vicar.  And I don't see anything wrong with this, myself.  It is a simple recognition that our faith is universal, existing throughout the world, as evidenced by the many people here today from all corners of Earth.  The responsibilities and duties of the papacy are towards everyone, towards all people of the world, and it would detract from that universality to expect the Bishop of Rome to focus his attention first to Rome, and then to the rest of the world.  There are Romans, and there are Italians, and there are Europeans, but above all else, there are humans.  We are humans.  The world is filled with humans of every color, background, and creed, and none are less important in the eyes of our Heavenly Father than any other.  And we should never forget this very simple fact, lest we become blinded by qualities applied only by humans that would be regarded as mere trivialities in the eyes of the Lord.

Does the man make the office?  No more than a man may make Christ.  The fundamental duty of the papacy is to ensure that the words of Christ are heard and that the deeds of Christ are seen throughout the entire world.  One man may perform his duties better than another, but the office was made two millenia ago.  The only thing we may do is find he whom we feel may best fulfill its responsibilities.

(turns and smiles at Bertone)

I thank you for your question, brother.  I hope I have done it justice.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2007, 02:48:32 AM »

Cardinal von Frick is seen taking down notes at the questions and the answers.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »

Brother Cardinal, you do realize that those must be burned after every ballot, correct?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »

Brother Cardinal, you do realize that those must be burned after every ballot, correct?

Of course, my dear brother.  I merely wish to record the points of the questions and answers before I respond.

Von Frick smiles
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2007, 02:42:36 PM by Jtfdem »

*Cardinal Miller slowly unseats himself, peering around at the conclave, he sighs, and puts on puts on his glasses*

Brothers, Cardinal Bertone asks a very good question. The Papacy is, I'm very sure, a significant part of all our lives. The Papacy, to me, is the most dignified and humbling position God can give our mere earthly bodies. It is the beacon by which the Church spreads Gods message and word of Salvation.
The messages which emanate from the holder of this office can sway millions. Whoever holds the office has the monumental responsibility of being the shepherd of Gods Church. This individual must be willing to lead with determination and perseverance. However, the person must also be willing to listen to even the most humble of persons.  The Pope must spread Christs message not only by speeches and sermons but by his everyday actions.
I believe the Vicar of Christ must have experience to deal with the numerous situations and conflicts that will, undoubtedly, arise during his reign. He must be able to deal with conflict and moments of great stress even within Gods Church. 
The individual charged with this great responsibility can also lead the Church into the light. By enlightening us with Gods word, and setting an example of humbleness and good deeds can do wonders for the Church. The bottom line of what I'm trying to say is that the Pope, whoever it may be, must be someone of expireance, patience, perseverance and the willingness to spreads Gods word every waking seconds of the day.

Finally, I wish to express something that has been on my mind for the moments. Some may say that it is best to have a Italian be the next Bishop of Rome. That, in my opinion, is wrong and the worst course to go. We should not care what country the Pope hails from, but of what good ideas he can bring to Rome. People who reallies on the nationality of the candidate as their deciding factor are just plain wrong.

Thank you, Brothers and God Bless.

*Cardinal Miller seats himself*
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2007, 05:24:57 PM by Eugen Cardinal von Frick, OP (J. J.) »

Von Frick rises, supported by his cane.  He smiles and nods to Cardinals Bertone, Jergović, Antonelli and Miller

Indeed our good brother asks a very serious and good question.  I will attempt to answer.

Cardinal Bertone asked, "What does the Papacy mean to each of you?" and   "What is the most important thing that a Vicar of Christ can bring to the world?"

The Papacy is at its core the way that Holy Spirit spreads the gifts of God's grace to the world.  It is a vessel, a pipe, for the delivery of the holy gifts of the Spirit.  When there is a bishop confirming an adolescent or an adult, a parish priest delivering the Holy Eucharist in a small parish or a layman baptizing a small child on the verge of death after an accident, the Papacy is there as the conduit of those gifts.  As the Vicar of Christ it is the Pope's role to spread these gifts.

I agree with Cardinal Antonelli that we, the prelates, have been seen far too long as royalty.  We must be, however, not men of the people, but men giving these sacramental gifts to the people.  It is not a question of perception, it is a question of being the spreaders of these gifts.

Cardinal Bertone asked, "Who do you honestly believe is the right kind of man to sit in the thrown of people?"  My belief matters little, because, the Holy Spirit will direct this choice.  Von Frick smiles broadly.  I come closest, though inspiration, of saying that next Holy Father should be the man that regards himself as bearing the burden of carrying these gifts to the people.  Whether he happens to be a genius or a fool, eloquent or tongue tied, a scholar or a "man of the people," he must spread these gifts.

Cardinal Bertone asked, "What duties does the Bishop of Rome owe to his diocese?  Does he owe any, in the modern era?"  A Pope is a Bishop, and THE Bishop of Rome.  He, as all bishops do, must spread the gifts of the Holy Spirit in his own diocese.  I do not believe that a Pope can anymore set aside his sacramental responsibilities as Bishop of Rome, than a Bishop in another dioceses can set aside his sacramental responsibilities to baptize a child near death.

Now, as a former bishop of a diocese, I know that there are many administrative aspects to the office of Bishop; I am also well aware that the Bishop of Rome is given many able administrators to help ease the burden of those administrative burdens.

There are several chuckles from the Curia at that remark, along with nods of agreement. 

Cardinal Bertone asks,  "And finally, do you thing the office makes the man, or is it the man who makes the office?"  The office cannot function without the man, nor can the man perform the sacramental role without the office.  The man can shape the office, but only with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  We have seen an example of this when John Paul the First refused to take the Papal Oath.  I believe that he was inspired the Holy Spirit to forever change the office, as his three predecessors have also done.  Even in his far too short time as Pope, he changed the office.

Before sitting down, von Frick hobbles over to Cardinal LaCroix, hand his his notes, and says with a smile, "Here, burn the evidence." Several Cardinals laugh openly.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2007, 07:14:02 PM »

My friend, Brother Bertone, you have risen matters of great importance before this conclave and for that I am personally very thankful.

In recent years, I have had the great benefit of having witnessed at close quarters the papacies of Benedict and John Paul. Two very different men with different approaches to their work, but both proved eminently capable and effective. It has been my life’s work serving the papacy. I give prayers of thanks each day for the unique opportunity I have had to serve as Camerlengo. I have been privileged to see the great work which can be done from St. Peter’s, the great hope it represents, the unending possibilities it presents.

You ask, Brother, who is the right kind of man to lead our Church. This is not a simple question and so, unsurprisingly, I have no simple answer. The world in which we work is one which changes rapidly, which challenges us all. In order to remain strong, remain visible, remain relevant, we must be able to capture and hold the attention of those who need to hear our message the most. 

I feel that what would help most, what we need most is a leader with gravitas - someone to whom people listen, someone who commands respect, someone who clearly believes in his work and is willing to reach out and instil that belief in others.
How do we recognise someone with these qualities? We can only know it from seeing it in action and from listening to our hearts and our minds.

But this is obviously not enough. That which is most important for any Pope, in all aspects of his work, is devotion. Devotion to God; devotion to the faith and the faithful; devotion to working tirelessly to belief that his work is relevant and that through that work the world can be made a better place. It is this devotion which I believe is a common thread which our finest Holy Father’s have exemplified.

Finally Brother Bertone, you ask whether the office makes the man, or rather the man makes the office. There is no doubt in my mind, that it is the man who makes the office. Each Papacy is defined by the spirit of its occupant. The office of the Papacy is not necessarily, of itself, effective in achieving the aims of the Church. There are those who have been over-awed by the immensity of the role and may have failed to meet their full potential. There are others, such as John Paul II, who managed to constantly surpass expectations of what was possible. It is from he, whom I draw the confidence of my convictions in this regard and to whom I owe the greatest opportunities I have been presented with. This is but one lesson of many which I learned from having worked so closely with him, all of which I am truly thankful for.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2007, 04:07:33 AM »

Bertone:  Brothers, I must ask.  What does the Papacy mean to each of you?  Who do you honestly believe is the right kind of man to sit in the thrown of people?  What is the most important thing that a Vicar of Christ can bring to the world?  What duties does the Bishop of Rome owe to his diocese?  Does he owe any, in the modern era?  And finally, do you thing the office makes the man, or is it the man who makes the office?

Thank you.

*sits down*

*Lumbayo jumps vigourously to his feet*

Brother Bertone, you ask several highly interesting questions. Let me answer them to the best of my capacity, in the order you asked them.

The Papacy to me means the human institution closest to God on this Earth. Thus, for those who toil and struggle in the shadows, far away from the grace and light of God, the Papacy is what should, must and will lift them up, out of that shadow and deliver them into the arms of Jesus. This is of course done in many different ways and one important aspect of it is the role of unifying the Church under one leadership, making all servants of God pull in the right direction. But one must never lose sight of this, the most fundamental duty of the Church; to spread the Gospel to all men.

I believe that there are many different kinds of men who can competently lead this Church. There is an expression which alludes to "the right man in the right place at the right time." Every situation has its own requirements and puts its own demands on a man, regardless of his position. If you ask me, what kind of man do I think is the right kind to sit in the throne of Christ in our current era, I will tell you that in my opinion he must be a man of action. The Church, while strong, is besieged by many troubles; the misery and poverty of the Third World and the increasing trend of secular atheism and materialism in the First are a couple who stand out. The leader of this Church must be prepared to battle these woes with firm leadership and fresh ideas, so that people will once again turn to us with hope and joy, eagerly asking for our guidance.

But you also ask what the most important thing is for a Pope. This is perhaps a different question. In my previous answer I was of course thinking of the members of this Conclave - men who have devoted their entire life to the service of God and who's loyalty and faith could never be swayed by special interests - be they political, economical or ethnical. But ina more general sense, the most important asset for a Vicar of Christ will always be his faith and his absolute dedication to it. To never lose sight of God in his work and tirelessly struggle so as to not be led astray, and so, by his example, inspire others to do the same, is the fundament of any man of the Church.

You also ask of the duties to the diocese. Of course, the Bishop of Rome must care for the souls of which he has direct responsibility. They have a right to that. I have enjoyed a life-time of spiritual service to the people and cannot put too much stress of the importance of those duties. At the same time, I cannot help the feeling that a never so good Bishop of Rome is also the spiritual leader of the Roman Catholic Church, and as such has a duty to all people in the world and to God himself guide them towards salvation.

Finally, does the man make the office or the does the office make the man, you ask. My answer is neither. It is to me like asking does the trunk make the tree or the tree the trunk. Neither can be imagined without the other and both depend on the other for its existence. The man can change the office in certain ways, but of course the man will not remain unchanged by the office either. I know how much it meant to me when I first started out in the Church. I remember what it was like to become a Bishop. Attaining a position created by God in which one has to assume the highest of all duties will of course affect a man in a way I think only one who has held the post can thoroughly understand.

I would say that we must always remember that while no man is larger than the office, that office could not exist without a devoted and courageous keeper. Many forget one of those two facts at times and I pray with all my heart that this will not happen here and now.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »

Thank you.

*sits down*

Brothers, Cardinal Bertone's questions seem to strike at the dual essence of the Papacy.  On one hand, we have the pontifex maximus, the universal leader of the flock, the Vicar of Christ.  On the other hand, we have the Bishop of Rome, the Primate of Italy, the head of the state of the Vatican City.  So how do we reconcile these two apparently opposing duties?  Should the Holy Father be primarily universal in focus, or should he stay true to his other titles and put down roots in Italy?

The Pope's influence on the world can be mighty.  Through the years, we have seen Pope after Pope change the course of human history, for good or for ill.  Pope Saint Gregory VII forced an emperor to do penance, before he himself was unseated.  Urban II called the First Crusade, which led to the foundation of a Christian Kingdom of Jerusalem.  Innocent III saw the kings of several nations bow before him as their feudal lord.  Gregory XIII produced the Gregorian calendar, which is still in use today.  Their varied experiences seem to have one common denominator: faith.  Faith in tradition, faith in the methodical study of scripture, and, most importantly, faith in God.  When faith in any of these pillars was shaken, the office teetered: witness the, ahem, "de-secularization" of the Papal office overseen by Pius IX.

So, I believe, to the world, the Pope can offer much.  He can lead the true believers against those who would seek to weaken the One True Faith.  He can make reforms and revisions so that the church stays contemporary without becoming "modern".  He can praise, protest, declaim, demand, oversee, override.  No, I do not suggest we could, or should, expect the Pope to order, say, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva to halt the murder of fetuses immediately, or to push Nicolas Sarkozy to one knee to swear an oath of loyalty.  But the Pope can provide a voice for the voiceless, can raise the concerns of a few before the many, can give needed advice to those who need advising.

Now, this all pales before the spiritual primacy of the Pope.  As we all know, when speaking ex cathedra, the Holy Father is endowed by the Holy Spirit with the utter inability to err in his judgement.  Ever since Christ gave his disciple, Saint Peter, the keys to the gate of heaven, saying, "Et tibi dabo claves regni cælorum. Et quodcumque ligaveris super terram, erit ligatum et in cælis : et quodcumque solveris super terram, erit solutum et in cælis." {I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.- Mark, 16:17-19}, the Pope has been given "supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls" {Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 937}.  This it not something that could have been given lightly.  The Dogmatic Constitution says that "he is the supreme judge of the faithful, and that in all cases which fall under ecclesiastical jurisdiction recourse may be had to his judgment" {ch. 3, s. 8}.  He can appoint bishops and prefects, modify Liturgy, canonize and beautify saints, and issue encyclicals.  Though it is true many administrators have been appointed so that some of the workload of the Pope has been taken off his hands, he still has ultimate authority over those decisions.  And, despite all the power he is supposed to wield, he is still subject to one, vast, almighty power: that of God himself.  He must remain a humble servant.

His spiritual power is not just of the universal kind.  This brings us back to the original conflict.  How can he keep so much power, but still be a responsible Bishop of Rome and Primate of Italy?  Are these tasks to be shunted aside, as weak or unimportant?  I think not.  Look at the evidence.  From the papacy of Adrian VI to the Venerable Pope John Paul II, the Holy Spirit saw fit to have the Vicar of Christ be Italian in origin.  That is 455 years of Italian Popes.  Perhaps this was an indication of the importance of the titles "Bishop of Rome" and "Primate of Italy" to the office of Pope.  Should those duties be ignored?  I think not.  Even the great Pope John Paul II spent a good deal of his time at the Vatican.

And, to your last question, I think the office both makes and is made by the man.  I would liken the office of Pope to the occupation of master cabinetmaker.  The cabinetmaker is given an order by a client, just like the Pope is empowered by the Holy Spirit to fulfill some certain function in the world.  So, he begins work.  He can choose whether to make the cabinet of ash or oak or maple, he can choose whether it should be plain or elegant, he can choose whether it has three shelves or seven.  But he is still making a cabinet, and still must abide by the requests of his client.  That is how a Pope serves, I believe; with some parts of the job predetermined, but others left to his own devices.  Thank you, brothers, for listening.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2007, 12:40:44 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2007, 02:02:26 AM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

The time for discussion has concluded.  We will now start the 4th Ballot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2007, 01:01:57 AM »

Gianfranco Cardinal Antonelli
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2007, 01:09:08 AM »

Luka Cardinal Jergović
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2007, 04:32:12 AM »

Guilherma Cardinal Ribeiro

Cardinal Ribeiro would also like to apologize for the ailment which prevented him from attending the last voting and discussion, but his health is restored now and he can resume his duties.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »

Cardinal Cruijff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies