Again, to my Friends.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Again, to my Friends.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Again, to my Friends.  (Read 11997 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »

My Friends,

It gives me great grief to say this, but this may very well be my final post on this forum.  I would like to begin it by sincerely, from the deepest part of my soul, thanking all of you for your kindness, sympathy, and prayers over the past couple weeks.  You have done more than you know for me, and I am truly grateful to you all.

In my original post in the thread titled “Friends,” I revealed to you all that I currently am the host of a very malignant brain tumor, of which there are no currently known means of recovery.  However, I did not reveal even more depressing news.  This news is that I have some other health issues, which I would prefer not to espouse in great detail, which are likely to dramatically decrease my life expectancy, giving me even a shorter time to live.  My doctor, back in Chicago, has informed me that none of the few patients he has had in my scenario have lived for more than one month.

I will do whatever possible to prove this prognosis wrong and extend my life expectancy, remaining optimistic through and through.  However, I am resigned to the fact that my life will not be much longer.  In an odd fashion, this feeling of resignation comforts me.  I have moved past denial, which I first experienced when I received the news of the tumor’s presence, and I have moved past grief.  I can accept the fact that I have a terminal illness – more than one, rather.

Many have asked how I am feeling, knowing this news.  The simple reality is this: I feel very calm.  Just as in preparation for a good night’s sleep one’s body begs the brain to relax, I am now beginning a period of relaxation before the final sleep.  Scared and depressed feelings have been replaced with calm and, to an extent, pleased ones.  I feel satisfied at what I have been able to achieve in my life, though I certainly wish my life would not be cut so short.

Now, let me take a moment to discuss this forum.  For over one year, this forum has provided me with a place to discuss issues, both political and issues surrounding everyday life, with a group of intelligent and kind people.  Every one of you has contributed to my wonderful experience on this forum.  For a list of those who made my time here especially joyful, see the Member List.

In the coming weeks, my cousin, Edward, has agreed to send e-mail updates to my coworkers and all of you regarding my condition, upon my becoming unable to.  To retrieve these updates directly from him, you may contact me or you may contact him at eey_ia@yahoo.com.  He has kindly agreed to update you all.  As for me, I hope to be able to maintain posting on this forum for as long as I possibly can, as I wish to maintain normality in my life until the very end.  I will likely never know when I am typing my last post.  I anticipate that my end will be quick and painless, and will not be accompanied by pain or suspense. 

To close out this post, my friends, I would like to share with you a lesson I have learnt over the past few weeks.  My friends, I cannot escape the feeling that we all have a destiny.  We are here for a reason.  As for me, I will likely not achieve my destiny.  However, in all of you, I see people who will achieve theirs.  I see Senators, attorneys, doctors, friends, and parents among you all.  My friends, never give up on what you aspire for.  Never lower the bar for yourself.  Never let anyone tell you that you cannot achieve something in life.  Never let the odds convince you to abandon your dreams.  Never let setbacks discourage you; learn from them.  Never let greed take over you.  Never be discouraged by the state of the present; let it motivate you to change the future.  And, most importantly, always remain true to yourself.  Be who you are, as our Lord created you in a special and beautiful way, and it is by being yourself that you will achieve your destiny.

Though I have never met any of you, have never spoken to any of you over the phone, have never even corresponding with any of you via the mail, I truly love you all.  May the years I will never get the chance to live be divided among you all, giving you all even fuller lives.  Thank you all, beyond any thanks I have ever given on this forum, for your immense kindness, and please continue to pray for me.  God bless you all.

Yours,
David/Yates
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »

Did you contact Moffitt or any other nationally known cancer treatment centers? The worst thing in the world you can do is resign yourself to death!! Doctors are wrong, and quite regularly! Spend every dime if you have to, it's only money, go where you can. Moffitt does a damn good job at cancer treatment and they even treated the Prince of Saudi Arabia. If you need to talk, PM me and let me know.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »

I'm very sad to hear this Yates, I hope that you will proove your doctor wrong and live a long life. I wish you the best.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »

Wow....I'm speechless, and deeply saddened. Sad Even as an atheist, I will pray for you. I wish you the absolute best Yates, you have given me so much, and I thank you for that, and I hope one day you will teach me again.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »

Although it is extremely unlikely, I hope here was a misdiagnosis. I recommend that you spend your last moments on Earth doing what you truly love. I hope that you enjoy the time you have left, and although I barely know you, you seem very heroic to me, not afraid of death, and I wish you the best.

-SPC
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »

Oh, Yates.  I won't do you the injustice of a sob post.  It would be simply unfair to you.  So, to you, I say this: Thank you.  Thank you for being such a good person.  Your biggest contribution to the site is not your excellent analysis or reasoned debating, but rather your wonderful, diplomatic attitude and your true kindness.  You've done us all a great service, and I know I'll always have fond memories of one of my favorite Midwesterners and good friends.

I know others in this thread will advise you to keep fighting it no matter what, or offer unbridled optimism.  But I know that you are the one here has all the information.  As much as I'd like to say I hope you live forever and ever and ever, I know that cannot be the case.  The decision must ultimately be yours, and I know that, whatever you decide to do, you will perform it with grace, humor, and good spirit.

God bless you.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »

Yates, I am deeply saddened by your post. I hope you prove those doctors wrong and do everything you can to fight this. Just from this forum I can tell you are a stand up guy and will not be forgotten here on this forum and in our lives. While I am not sure to what faith you resign yourself too, there is priestly blessing that comes from Numbers 6:23-27, and therefore one of the oldest in known kind. I find it can be universal.

May the Lord bless you, and keep you - יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה, וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ
May the Lord shine His face upon you, and be gracious to you - יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ
May the Lord lift His countenance upon you, and grant you peace - יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם

Keep fighting!
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »

Like everyone else, I am unable to tell you how saddened I am. I know having Jesus in your heart must be the biggest comfort of all.

May God bless you Yates.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:15:05 PM »

Enjoy your last few months Yates. I'm sorry to see that this wasn't a misdiagonis and I just hope you can live out whatever you have left enjoying yourself.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »

I'm no less shocked now by this than when I first found out.  David, I hold out hope for a miracle.  I admire you for the man you have shown yourself to be on here.  I have always had the greatest respect for you, and believe that your life will be justly celebrated in the midst of this tragedy.  You are young, yet you are alreay the kind of person I can only aspire to be.

Thank you, David.  The best of luck.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »

It's quite a shame to see a life which is not much older then mine quite possibly being cut short, Your post also truely brought tears to my eyes Yates.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »

Thank you for being such a good person. 

Indeed
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »

Yates, I apparently missed your first post, so this information was all new to me.

I am deeply saddened by this, but the fact that you have trusted God is your greatest comfort.

God bless you - you are a great person!

Nathan/Inks.LWC
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »

Yates,
Good luck and we are all hoping for a miracle that you somehow overcome the odds.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 11:31:40 PM »

We spoke the other night about this and it makes me just as sad whenever it is repeated. You are an amazing person, Yates. You have always had the nicest things to say to me and everyone here. You are a true inspiration to us all. I will continue to pray for you and hold out hope for a miracle. I know you have great trust in the Lord and I'm sure you are familiar with this line from a well known poem. I want to post it so that you never, ever forget this...

My precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

You will find peace soon, my friend. God bless you.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 11:53:12 PM »

Fair winds and following seas, Yates.  We all hope that you will beat this, but if not, know that one day we will all meet again in the next life.  Stay positive and best of luck.  You are a great guy!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:21:40 AM »

Can't even begin to describe how saddened I am to hear the news. 
Best of luck to you and I truly hope that you will prove all the doctors wrong.  You have always been one of the best and nicest posters on the forum and hopefully that continues for years to come.  As grim as the news is, never lose hope and keep fighting.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 05:52:22 AM »

This is heartbreaking news David. All I can say to you is to take care, stay strong and God bless.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 06:38:02 AM »

You'll be missed, man.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 08:22:07 AM »

Again, I just don't know what to say.  You just don't deserve this, David.  All I can say and do is wish you luck, and if that fails, then I wish you peace.  I'm not giving up hope for you.

Joe.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 09:35:12 AM »

It is inspiring to see you handle such an ill fate in this calm and composed manner. I hope I will be able to do the same and, in fact, if we all were able to be more like you in the way we treat our life and others this world would be more like the place where I am sure you are headed. But hopefully not too soon! Good luck and keep fighting.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »

David, I'm so sorry, man. I don't know what else to say. It's shocking how something like this can come so quickly, to anyone. You may not feel as if you've fulfilled your destiny, but you've made a contribution to the forum and I'm sure to many other people's lives as well. You've aleady provided a model of courage and grace in the face of such a tragedy. When a time comes like this, it is a reminder of our mortality which comes before all else. There is nothing abnormal about it. Put your faith in God that he is looking after you. I wish you all the best in your remaining time.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »

Yates,

I'm not the praying kind, but I'm making an exception here. It can't hurt anyone if I tried, and maybe mine might be that one extra one you need. I hope so. I am very sorry for you and your family. I want to thank you for being such a good friend to me, if I never get the chance to say it again.

Prove the sons of bitches wrong and live a long life. Remember the fighting spirit can sometimes pull even the darkest prognosis through.

I, my girlfriend, my roommates, who are my family, wish you nothing but the best. Godspeed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »

David,

I'm deeply saddened to learn that your prognosis has deteriorated further. I can only prayer your doctors have got it wrong; that you can exceed expectations and live your life as best as you possibly can

You've become a very good friend to me, and many others on the Forum, and I thank you Smiley for being so

Dave
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 03:32:16 PM »

David,

Enjoy the rest of your life to fullest and spend the rest of your days surrounded by the love and kindness of family and friends. You have always been a nice, gracious, kind, and curteous person David and I'm happy and thankful that you decided to share those character traits with us here on the forum.

Here's hoping that you pull through this and I know we will all try our best, through prayer, through hope, through compassion, to try and see the best come through.

I would like to thank you for your encouragement to me and the rest of the forum and I would like you to thank Edward for his offer to keep us up to date on your condition.

There is nothing more that I can say that has been said before. There are only so many words that can be said to express sadness, mourning and loss, only so many things you can say to call on you to keep up the fight and prove the doctors wrong. Let me just say that I hope you find some peace in these hard times and hopefully you will have peace in whatever awaits us beyond the grave.

Good luck to you Yates and my heart goes out to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies