Native Americans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:40:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Native Americans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Native Americans  (Read 6560 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: July 16, 2004, 10:24:18 AM »

http://img5.exs.cx/img5/9924/NAvoting2000.gif

The areas circled in yellow are Indian reservations, or counties with high Indian populations.

Also, check out the WI historical maps:

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/comparemaps.php?fips=55

That small county in the Northeast corner that is always deep red is the Menominee reservation.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:30:48 AM »

I used to call them 'Red Indians' but I believe that is racist?

Yes, I wouldn't call them "Red"

There was a "Red Pride" movement in the early 70s, similar to the "Black Pride" movement.  But since then, "Red" has been very un-PC.

It hasn't stopped the Washington DC NFL team from still calling themselves the "Redskins."  Although I think they stopped using their fight song with the lyrics "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! -- We want heap more!" (those were the lyrics as I learned them as a kid in suburban Maryland.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 01:40:12 PM »

I have to wonder if the tendency to vote Democrat among Western Indians stems from all of the Republican administrations in the 2nd half of the 19th century who continually screwed them over.

The southeastern Indians were screwed over by Jackson, though, so it would make sense that they'd vote Republican Smiley.

(I'm a teeny-tiny bit Cherokee myself)
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 02:23:34 PM »

My maternal grandfather's mother was part Cherokee.  She had jet-black hair.  I'm guessing she was maybe 1/4 or 1/8, which would make me 1/32 or 1/64.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:45:22 PM »

Native American is the mainstream term, American Indian is the distant second place but I've heard many use that term for themselves (eg the American Indian Movement or AIM).  

I don't really see the term "Indian," as being completely incorrect, since in old European parlance, "India" was a generic term for all far-flung lands that were not China or Japan.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is urban myth (perpetuated by the likes of Miriam-Webster).  Eskimo does not mean "raw-meat-eater."  It actually means "snowshoe-netter."  But I think the myth has done enough damage that the actual people now do not like the term, and prefer their own tribal names.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies