If Bush's invasion of Iraq leads to a domino effect of Democracy...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:19:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Bush's invasion of Iraq leads to a domino effect of Democracy...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If I stress IF[/i] Bush's invasion of Iraq leads to a domino effect of democracy in the middle east does he become one of our nations greatest Presidents?
Yes(he already is on of the greats)

Yes (I don't think it'll happen but if it did he would be)

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: If Bush's invasion of Iraq leads to a domino effect of Democracy...  (Read 4528 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »

Well, generally for a domino effect to begin, the very first domino has to actually be pushed... Tongue

Yeah. ...and a PURELY objective theory like the domino effect just doesn't work, especially because it tries to measure subjective issues. 

...and we had a surplus in the 90s. Why can't we have it again. Look. The answer is more liberal research laws, stronger immigration of all skill levels, allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire and flat lining the military budget, with concerns with inflation and using the taxes to strengthen research and health care infrastructure.

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:28 AM »

Not that I thought it could or would occur at the time (see my earlier post in this thread), but remember the circumstances in 2005...the so-called "Cedar Revolution" in Lebanon, a detente with Libya--not to mention Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, and the Ukraine outside of the Middle East.  It was easy to get a bit optimistic at the time--and although that optimism has since been proven to be unfounded, don't dismiss it out of hand.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »

Why is it so amusing to people to bump ancient threads in which people used their current knowledge to judge the future and happen to be wrong?  Who would have known what has happened would happen?  It's not that new a phenomenon that people incorrectly predict the future.  It's pretty easy to look back and say, "what an idiot" because you know now what they didn't know then.  Obviously they wouldn't have said that if they knew how painfully slow development in Iraq would be.

To be fair, a lot of people thought the Iraq war was going to be a frigging disaster as soon as 2002/03, and that anybody who even believed for a second that it could lead to a "domino effect" of democracy was completely off their trolley.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 12:18:52 AM »

If it did work... then yes, I do think he would.  It has been said that "People only thank Presidents who do things for their country".  Well, I think that that kinda thinking seriously underestimates the benefits of having a democratic Middle East for the rest of the world, including the United States.

Of course, thats all an if.  Saddly, the executon has been poor for the start.  Granted, should it work 30 years down the road, people will only remember that it worked, not that it was difficult, and people will be largely forgiving.  But... the poor execution thus far makes it that much less likely.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »

The good lord help me - I agree with every word of a post of Philip's.
Seems that Philip deleted his post.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies