Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:50:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader  (Read 7205 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

Lieberman needs to be kicked out for real after we expand our majority in the Senate in 2008. This is just absurd.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »

Question:  Would he be doing this if he had he won the Democratic Primary a year ago?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »

Question:  Would he be doing this if he had he won the Democratic Primary a year ago?

Then he'd be grandstanding with McCain in Iraq over the glorious victory and talking about how true Democrats support the war.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »

Losing a primary didn't make Lieberman a different person, he'd just be undermining the party in slightly more subtle ways. Do you see Mike Gravel or other former Senators who lost a primary undermining their party? No. Only Traitor Joe is.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 10:44:12 PM »

I think he would
Jacobtm

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 01:00:45 AM »

Democrats kicked Lieberman out of their party, and he's supposed to stay loyal to them?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 07:14:12 AM »

Democrats kicked Lieberman out of their party, and he's supposed to stay loyal to them?

Exactly.

He had quite a bit of endorsments behind him from his fellow democrats, and they ditched him the moment he lost the primary. 

Susan Collins endorsed him for re-election, and I'm glad he is endorsing her. The two of them work very well together, so of course he is going to want her to be re-elected. 

Still, he does more than Dodd, who is busy running a losing campaign.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:49 AM »

No one kicked Leibermann out of the party - he left of his own accord.  A traitor, not a deportee. 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »

Losing a primary didn't make Lieberman a different person, he'd just be undermining the party in slightly more subtle ways. Do you see Mike Gravel or other former Senators who lost a primary undermining their party? No. Only Traitor Joe is.

You can't compare Joe Lieberman to Mike Gravel. The CT Dem Primary on 8/9/06 was part of a national effort by Democrats to get Lieberman out of the Senate. Lamont narrowly won, and due to disgust for the Democrats that ousted him out of the primary, he decided to run as an independent. It turned out that the Connecticut voters decided, and they chose classic Lieberman over the Democratic Party.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »

Exactly!

People can say what they want about Lieberman, but the fact is that the PEOPLE of Connecticut chose to re-elect our U.S. Senator, and not the people of the Democrat party.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 10:40:37 AM »

The question is though: Why should any Democrat now like Lieberman, or support him in any way whatsoever?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

The question is though: Why should any Democrat now like Lieberman, or support him in any way whatsoever?

Who's saying they should? I'm just saying that the national Democrats abandoned Lieberman when they supported Lamont, not the other way around when Lieberman ran as an indy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »

Yes, the national Democrats opted to support the Democratic nominee, not a third party candidate. What's wrong with that?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »

Yes, the national Democrats opted to support the Democratic nominee, not a third party candidate. What's wrong with that?

What changed about him after losing the primary, other than the fact that he would be an independent who would caucus with the democrats? What happened to make atleast 90% of his elected supporters switch their support to Lamont over him.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »

1. They were supporting Lamont before the primary
2. Is Lieberman a completely different person before losing the primary and after losing the primary?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 09:49:58 PM »

2. Is Lieberman a completely different person before losing the primary and after losing the primary?

Yes, obviously - he is definitely not the nominee of the Democratic Party.  He can still be a Democrat by not running.  By running as an independent he left the Democratic Party.  Its that simple.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:57 PM »

So, he's a DICO (Democrat in Caucusing Only), what of it?  That's the way he sees things, and that's fine with me.  Its okay with me if he ever decides to join the Republican party.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »

1. They were supporting Lamont before the primary

Wrong. Almost all of them supported Lieberman during the primary.

We really need to strip him of his committee chairmanship when we gain more seats in 2008. Let him go to the Republicans.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »

I just really wish someone would propose legislation that would send Lieberman into orbit.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »

Lieberman's a liberal, he'll never "go with the Republicans."

He may do really annoying things like help Collins get reelected (I expect he'll tone it down if it looks like there's a chance she'll lose), but he'll never caucus with the Republicans.  He's just media whoring himself by implying that he might.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2007, 08:51:40 PM »

The only good thing about this whole situation is that I doubt Lieberman could win another election in Connecticut again after proving to be such a sleazy political opportunist. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »

The only good thing about this whole situation is that I doubt Lieberman could win another election in Connecticut again after proving to be such a sleazy political opportunist. 

If he runs for re-election in 6 years, I'm sure he'll be re-elected. Who knows what will happen between now and than.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »

What I continue to find hilarious is that if Gore/Lieberman had won in 2000, Vice President Lieberman would most likely be the current frontrunner for the nomination next year.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 06:50:59 PM »

What I continue to find hilarious is that if Gore/Lieberman had won in 2000, Vice President Lieberman would most likely be the current frontrunner for the nomination next year.

It's funny that has one event occured, the entire timeline would be messed up. The Republicans would still control Congress, Chris Shays would be a Senator, Ned Lamont wouldn't be the liberal martyr that he is today, John Kerry would be a nobody, etc. etc.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2007, 12:28:31 AM »

At least the last one is the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies