Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader  (Read 7314 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: May 14, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »

Those of us who supported Lamont are extremely vindicated.

No, vindication would have been if the little nerd had actually won.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2007, 06:30:35 PM by Joe Republic »

Those of us who supported Lamont are extremely vindicated.

No, vindication would have been if the little nerd had actually won.

I think he means vindication in the form of being proven to be right about Lieberman.

Oh I know, but that wouldn't have been as funny.

Anyway, the way I see it, Lieberman was effectively kicked out of the Democratic Party, and yet is doing them a huuuge favor by actually allowing them to form a majority.  I see no problem if he decides he wants to support one of his friends and colleagues; who also happens to be a fellow moderate.

(Cue jfern with something along the lines of, "Collins is a batsh**t insane hard-right fascist, you f**king moron", or similar.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:37:55 PM »

Well as you say, it's a chicken-and-egg argument.  Whether Lieberman would be raising money for Collins if he had or hadn't been kicked out is something we can only leave to speculation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »

Plenty of people lose primaries. They tend to not run in the general election, anyways, let alone start fundraising for the other side. Losing a primary is no excuse. Plenty of people lose primaries, and they don't go crazy. Barack Obama even has the endorsement of the guy he lost a  primary to.

As for Senate incumbents defeated in primaries, I don't recall Bob Smith, Alan Dixon, Jacob Javits, Mike Gravel, or Ralph Yarborough raising money for the other party's candidates. No, Joe Lieberman has a lot of apolOgists on this board. They are probabably perfectly happy that Democrats Yarborough and Gravel were defeated, since they were defeated from the right.

Who cares what other people have done in other situations in the past?

Lieberman gave up any pretense of trying to be loyal to the Democratic Party after his primary defeat, and good for him.  I can't remember the number of times I've said that parties are pointless... but that's for another time.  And yet even though he lost any reason to remain loyal to his former party, he is still helping them hold power in the Senate.  That's quite a big gesture towards a group of people who formally shunned him.

But my point is: if he wants to help a friend and colleague in her re-election bid, then so be it.  He doesn't have to care what party she's in, because details like that are only important to the very same people who threw him out of their club in the first place.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:22:58 PM »

Show me a politician who doesn't tell any lies at all in order to get elected, and I'll show you my pet unicorn.  Don't be so naïve.

Believe it or not, I don't particularly like Lieberman, mainly because I firmly disagree with his stance on the war.  My support for him is limited to his independence and his increasing disdain for the Democratic Party.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 07:29:44 PM »

I don't think President Bush has really lost the Senate, as that is a razor thin majority by the Democrats and Vice President Cheney is still a major factor of the Senate and thus can break any ties.

Being able to set the legislative agenda and wielding majorities in the committees adds a great deal more to what's at stake than just a simple numbers game.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »

What I continue to find hilarious is that if Gore/Lieberman had won in 2000, Vice President Lieberman would most likely be the current frontrunner for the nomination next year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies