Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:13:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader  (Read 7305 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: May 14, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »

He's raising money for Senator Collins

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/5/14/172838/568

Those of us who supported Lamont are extremely vindicated.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2007, 06:54:10 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Plenty of people lose primaries. They tend to not run in the general election, anyways, let alone start fundraising for the other side. Losing a primary is no excuse. Plenty of people lose primaries, and they don't go crazy. Barack Obama even has the endorsement of the guy he lost a  primary to.

As for Senate incumbents defeated in primaries, I don't recall Bob Smith, Alan Dixon, Jacob Javits, Mike Gravel, or Ralph Yarborough raising money for the other party's candidates. No, Joe Lieberman has a lot of apoligists on this board. They are probabably perfectly happy that Democrats Yarborough and Gravel were defeated, since they were defeated from the right.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:17:12 PM »

Plenty of people lose primaries. They tend to not run in the general election, anyways, let alone start fundraising for the other side. Losing a primary is no excuse. Plenty of people lose primaries, and they don't go crazy. Barack Obama even has the endorsement of the guy he lost a  primary to.

As for Senate incumbents defeated in primaries, I don't recall Bob Smith, Alan Dixon, Jacob Javits, Mike Gravel, or Ralph Yarborough raising money for the other party's candidates. No, Joe Lieberman has a lot of apolOgists on this board. They are probabably perfectly happy that Democrats Yarborough and Gravel were defeated, since they were defeated from the right.

Who cares what other people have done in other situations in the past?

Lieberman gave up any pretense of trying to be loyal to the Democratic Party after his primary defeat, and good for him.  I can't remember the number of times I've said that parties are pointless... but that's for another time.  And yet even though he lost any reason to remain loyal to his former party, he is still helping them hold power in the Senate.  That's quite a big gesture towards a group of people who formally shunned him.

But my point is: if he wants to help a friend and colleague in her re-election bid, then so be it.  He doesn't have to care what party she's in, because details like that are only important to the very same people who threw him out of their club in the first place.

Lieberman claimed he was an "Independent Democrat" who supported Democrats when he was running in the general election. I see that you support liars. Nice.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »

Question:  Would he be doing this if he had he won the Democratic Primary a year ago?

Losing a primary didn't make Lieberman a different person, he'd just be undermining the party in slightly more subtle ways. Do you see Mike Gravel or other former Senators who lost a primary undermining their party? No. Only Traitor Joe is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies