Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:24:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lieberman working to make McConnell Majority Leader  (Read 7332 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: May 14, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »

Those of us who supported Lamont are extremely vindicated.

No, vindication would have been if the little nerd had actually won.

I think he means vindication in the form of being proven to be right about Lieberman.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »

Why is it that its the Dems that are screaming that Republicans should conpromise, but when one of their own actually takes it into practice, they accuse him of helping the uncompromising Republicans?

I don't recall a Democrat saying that Republicans should be raising money for Democrats...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:33:19 PM »

Those of us who supported Lamont are extremely vindicated.

No, vindication would have been if the little nerd had actually won.

I think he means vindication in the form of being proven to be right about Lieberman.

Oh I know, but that wouldn't have been as funny.

Anyway, the way I see it, Lieberman was effectively kicked out of the Democratic Party, and yet is doing them a huuuge favor by actually allowing them to form a majority.  I see no problem if he decides he wants to support one of his friends and colleagues; who also happens to be a fellow moderate.

(Cue jfern with something along the lines of, "Collins is a batsh**t insane hard-right fascist, you f**king moron", or similar.)

I do agree that probably at least some of it has to do with Lieberman getting kicked out, but then again there's always the chicken and the egg thing.  I don't exactly recall Lieberman doing anything whatsoever in an attempt to reconcile differences between himself and the Democratic Party.  Rather, he seemed to revel in the attention he got from those differences.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:31:37 PM »

I don't think President Bush has really lost the Senate, as that is a razor thin majority by the Democrats and Vice President Cheney is still a major factor of the Senate and thus can break any ties.

Given that the Senate has gone from supporting everything the president wants pre-2006 to now opposing basically everything the president wants post-2006, I don't think Bush would agree with you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02:53 PM »

We need more politicians like Lieberman who are not afraid to stand up to partisan politics. Though I disagree with his positions, I feel that Liebrman is a good guy, and should be rewarded for being willing to stand up to a primary challenge from the left. I wish Lieberman wouldn't caucus with the Democrats, though, and would instead opt out of caucusing with either party. I hope he seeks reelection as an independent, but I doubt he will. Sad

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I really doubt that Lieberman actually cares about partisan politics.  I've always kind of felt that he just knows very well that it will get him orders of magnitude more media coverage to be an independent Democrat who reminds everyone at every opportunity that he can stop supporting the Democrats when he feels like it instead of simply being a largely unnoticed Democratic senator.  Same with Hagel, although he's still a Republican in terms of party affiliation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies