Arguments against God’s existence, counterarguments, and so on… (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:23:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Arguments against God’s existence, counterarguments, and so on… (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arguments against God’s existence, counterarguments, and so on…  (Read 252 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« on: December 05, 2023, 02:23:40 PM »

What you believe doesn't matter in the sense that it doesn't change what is.
If, for example, you believe in an afterlife, it won't matter.
If the afterlife exists, your belief won't change that fact.
The same goes for if no afterlife exists, your belief won't change the fact.
It also seems more important to question whether there is an afterlife than whether there is a Supreme Spirit.

The word "god" means different things to different people.
I don't like the word because it implies that the supreme being or spirit is male.
I also don't believe that the supreme being (if he/she/it exists) is personal.
The idea is that there is some intelligent super human being that creates/controls everything.
Also some people see god as three disparate personalities.
That is very different from a single entity which is the idea in most religions.

"1aa. Counter-counter: the problem of suffering, even without free will, there is still suffering inherent to the natural world (ex: disease, famine, earthquakes, floods, etc.)"
This makes sense to me.

As for evil, it seems wiser to ask "why not" than "why". Understanding why evil exists isn't going to change anything, asking "why not" makes more sense to me since it involves making things better.

Whether hell exists depends on your concept of the Supreme Spirit. If a Supreme Spirit exists, that doesn't mean that hell exists.
So, while it may be meaningful to ask oneself if hell exists, it seems irrelevant to whether a Creator exists.

"God is just identical to nature as explained by science."
This also makes sense to me.

If a personal Supreme Being does exist, wouldn't that Being be more concerned about what you do than what abstract and complicated philosophical or metaphysical thoughts are going through your mind?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies