What is the earliest Presidential election a _______ could be elected? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:50:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is the earliest Presidential election a _______ could be elected? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the earliest Presidential election a _______ could be elected?  (Read 965 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« on: December 19, 2023, 11:28:47 PM »
« edited: December 20, 2023, 03:44:24 AM by Born to Slay. Forced to Work. »

Part of me thinks there was a narrow chance of a woman being elected president in the 40s with Frances Perkins becoming VP and succeeding Roosevelt. She was obviously close to him being one of the few people to last his entire presidency.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 02:47:32 PM »

Part of me thinks there was a narrow chance of a woman being elected president in the 40s with Frances Perkins becoming VP and succeeding Roosevelt. She was obviously close to him being one of the few people to last his entire presidency.

Keep in mind that the scenario is asking if a woman could be elected outright. The post-World War II purge of the rosies- and the insistence throughout the war that women's gains were temporary- makes me doubt that she's taken seriously. If she falls into the job like you suggest, she's seen as a caretaker until the next election, which itself would be a testament to the progress made by that first waver generation of suffragist activists.

There are examples from that time period of women who fell into office but were able to campaign and keep it. Hattie Carraway is an example of this. If, for example, Perkins succeeds FDR in 1945 she’s have essentially a full term to get the party behind her and set up for re-election in 1948.

It’s not a likely scenario, but I think it is the earliest a woman could have been elected president. After that I don’t think till the 70s of 80s though.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 08:30:52 AM »

I feel like for a lot of these, it depends upon how they present.

A good example would be Obama 2008 - when he ran, he defied many of the negative stereotypes about black people and was able to win. I think if he was a black man that fit into certain stereotypes, even physically, he may have had a harder time (i.e. darker skin, an urban African-American dialect, ect).

Same goes for gay/bi folks. I think America could theoretically elect a gay President like Pete Buttigieg in 2024, however, a gay man who presents as more submissive and feminine, defying many traditional gender roles would probably not be able to win.

I think for a lot of these groups, individual members could be elected, but members who fit into certain subsets of these groups wouldn't be.

The major issue for Gay candidates is actually the polarization. The best for one would be Blue/Purple state Republican or a Red State Democrat, but a gay male would have to be a notch or two to the right of a heterosexual one in a similar fashion to how Obama initially signaled that way.

The best trajectory would probably be a Gay Lee Zeldin. Gay, ultra Pro-Cop(which in the current climate would mean major fights with Pride groups which have seen a total ACAB takeover) immigration and whose credit for "ending anarchy" in a blue state would get him credit in the right. At the same time being in a blue state would get them forgiven some stuff.

Also if married with kids they would probably need a Sister Souhjah moment of stating how uncomfortable they were with sex in schools and give a heartfelt interview in favor of parental rights. That they would likely be hated by activists and the feeling would be mutual would aid them

This person probably couldn't win the nomination. They could potentially stumble into the Vice Presidency however

The candidate you described would hemorrhage support from democrats
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies