Louisiana Supreme Court upholds death penalty for rape of an 8-year-old girl
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:39:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Louisiana Supreme Court upholds death penalty for rape of an 8-year-old girl
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Louisiana Supreme Court upholds death penalty for rape of an 8-year-old girl  (Read 16712 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2007, 02:57:04 PM by A18 »

Or did, yesterday, in State v. Kennedy. On the issue of Corker v. Georgia: "while Coker clearly bars the use of the death penalty as punishment for the rape of an adult woman, it left open the question of which, if any, non-homicide crimes can be constitutionally punished by death."

Discuss.

I expect the Supreme Court to grant review.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »

I agree and expect reversal by a 5-4 margin with Kennedy holding the deciding vote.

He's been leaning slightly more to the left on death penalty issues for the last few years.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:26:55 PM »

It should be upheld; I for one, think that the death penalty should be mandatory for anyone committing a felony while serving a life-sentence. (yes, it's possible)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:43:41 AM »

It should be upheld; I for one, think that the death penalty should be mandatory for anyone committing a felony while serving a life-sentence. (yes, it's possible)

Cocaine posession is a felony in some states.  Would you kill prisoners on drugs?
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 02:10:03 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Assaulting another inmate, assaulting a Prison Guard, attempted escape, selling drugs; but yes, I would include possession of illegal substances, if that is indeed a felony. But, as I said, only for anyone already serving a life sentence. It would certainly help with overcrowded prisons.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 02:56:50 AM »

I always knew Teddy would get his come-upence
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:01:30 AM »

Louisiana will be a good state to live in once Blanco crawls back in her hole.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:25:15 AM »

But, as I said, only for anyone already serving a life sentence. It would certainly help with overcrowded prisons.

I think not having silly laws on the books will help more than executing citizens in cutting down on overcrowded prisons.

Louisiana will be a good state to live in once Blanco crawls back in her hole.

Yes, now that those annoying black people are gone.  Republican pride!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Assaulting another inmate, assaulting a Prison Guard, attempted escape, selling drugs; but yes, I would include possession of illegal substances, if that is indeed a felony. But, as I said, only for anyone already serving a life sentence. It would certainly help with overcrowded prisons.
Attempted escape is not even illegal in sane countries.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »

I think not having silly laws on the books will help... in cutting down on overcrowded prisons.

I agree, however, we may disagree on what is a "silly law"
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 07:27:46 PM »

Yes, now that those annoying black people are gone.  Republican pride!

It's sad you're so insecure in your ideology, you back it up with baseless allegations of racism instead of actual argumentation to support it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 05:05:22 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2007, 05:07:04 AM by Ebowed »

Really?  What's the logic behind that?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 05:14:53 AM »

The logic is that a prisoner has every right to do that.

Of course, he'll lose all chance of an early release. And of course, it's illegal to help spring others from jail, which in practice means it's also illegal to attempt escape in groups.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 11:06:05 PM »

Of course, he'll lose all chance of an early release. And of course, it's illegal to help spring others from jail, which in practice means it's also illegal to attempt escape in groups.

Punishments for attempted crimes find their genesis in early English and American common law and exist in no other legal systems.

Early English and American common law regarded these crimes as misdemeanors, only later American criminal statutes (post-1900) regarded these crimes as felonies.  That is how it stands nowadays - England still regards attempted crimes as misdemeanors.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 04:52:42 AM »

Punishments for attempted crimes find their genesis in early English and American common law and exist in no other legal systems.

Early English and American common law regarded these crimes as misdemeanors, only later American criminal statutes (post-1900) regarded these crimes as felonies.  That is how it stands nowadays - England still regards attempted crimes as misdemeanors.
Same goes if you successfully escape (and get caught again years later), though.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »

This will be interestsing once it reaches the Court

There is no way the Court doesn't take this case - it has been obsessed with death penalty cases in recent years - it will take the chance to explore another alcove of it.

I would have to agree with Mr Spade that the case will hinge on Justice Kennedy. Chief Justice Roberts has shown little sympathy to the liberal bloc on this issue, and I do not see Justice Alito, a former prosecutor, parting ways with the conservative bloc.

Justice Kennedy was in the majority of Roper, Atkins and House - all of these ended up favouring the liberal bloc - all recent decisions in capital punishment case law. However, do not bet against Justice Kennedy conscience deciding that the horrific nature of a crime against a child can override his previous drift to the left. He is a sentimentalist after all.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 12:24:46 PM »

The fact that the death penalty is disproportionate to the crime of rape was supposedly established (in Coker) by the fact that only one state authorized capital punishment for rapists. I don't know what the situation is now, but when Coker was decided, only three states authorized capital punishment for child rapists. If forty-nine states represent a "national consensus" that the death penalty is disproportionate to rape of an adult, then surely forty-seven states can be said to represent a "national consensus" that the death penalty is disproportionate to rape of a child. Between forty-nine and forty-seven, I see no meaningful difference.

Needless to say, this notion of counting up states while interpreting the Eighth Amendment is unsound--but the Supreme Court has adopted it nevertheless, so one is forced to conclude that the Louisiana Supreme Court probably erred.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »

Not true. Attempted murder is a crime under Portuguese (civil) law.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 08:33:56 PM »

Not true. Attempted murder is a crime under Portuguese (civil) law.

Interesting, I didn't know that (though I don't swear to be an expert in Portuguese law).  Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »

So in these civil law countries (besides Portugal), you  could shoot at someone and not be tried for anything if you miss? (no attempted murder)

This is assuming of course that it's legal to own the gun in that country of course.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 10:13:38 PM »

LET 'EM FRY!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 04:49:52 AM »

So in these civil law countries (besides Portugal), you  could shoot at someone and not be tried for anything if you miss? (no attempted murder)
No.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 01:15:38 AM »

Cert. granted; see here. "The brief of petitioner is to be filed on or before Thursday, February 14, 2008. The brief of respondent is to be filed on or before Wednesday, March 12, 2008."

My prediction is that we'll be looking at a 6-3 or 7-2 reversal.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 09:26:41 AM »

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-343.pdf

Reversed, 5-4. The court's holding is categorical: "The Eighth Amendment bars Louisiana from imposing the death penalty for the rape of a child where the crime did not result, and was not intended to result, in the victim's death."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »

Kennedy's logic on this one is particularly amusing, by just skimming through the opinion.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies