Any Chance Romney Would Pick Huckabee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:04:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Any Chance Romney Would Pick Huckabee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any Chance Romney Would Pick Huckabee?  (Read 1358 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:56:48 PM »

If Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination, is there any chance he would pick Mike Huckabee for Vice President?

Please discuss.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:00:36 PM »

Romney/Huckabee vs Clinton/?? humm sounds like a sure win for Clinton.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »

If he feels that his Mormonism is his greatest hindrance (which it very well may be), yes.

Who knows whether Huckabee accepts or not, though.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:56:07 AM »

Yes - and I think he will.  Huckabee would help Romney out in the deep south where due to Romney's Mormonism, he'll need it most - especially in AR.  Now, if Clinton is the Dem. candidate, it won't matter, and Romney will lose - but I don't think she'll get the nomination.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »

If Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination, is there any chance he would pick Mike Huckabee for Vice President?

Please discuss.

I don't see why not.  Primary winners often pick primary losers for their running mates.  Clinton and Bush the Younger didn't, but Reagan picked Bush the Elder, even after they had heated debates in the 1980 primaries.  Moreover, I think Romney would be interested in choosing a running mate based on his ability to help deliver electoral votes, and I think that having a genuine protestant minister on the ticket might be something Romney's think-tank advisors may adivse, given that there are those who still apparently have a problem with Mormons, Jews, Catholics, Mormons, and pretty much any who isn't calvanist or mainline protestant.  Sad, perhaps, but true.  So in terms of strategy, he may be advised in that way.  And if he were going to pick a running mate from among the primary losers (and it has been done in the past), the only one you can really rule out is Thompson, who actually deigned to run an anti-Romney ad during an intra-party debate.  I figure you can call Thompson "dead" in the minds of all the other GOP hopefuls.  But the rest have generally made nice with each other.

Also, don't think "ideology" necessarily has anything to do with that.  Remember Reagan/Bush in 1980, who were about as far apart on every important issue as two republicans could be.  Or remember Gore/Liebermann in 2000.  For example, in the primaries, Liebermann was all about vouchers, or, as he called it "school choice."  ("What, vouchers?  did I say I was for school vouchers?".)  How quickly he became an avid vocal opponent once Gore's henchmen put him under wraps.  These deals are made secretly, and who knows what promises are made by candidates to their vice-candidates.  It's easy to call the VP candidate a hypocrite, since he often changes his tune once selected, but you have to remember that candidates also sometimes change their tunes in cases where older, more experienced VP candidates are selected.  (Witness Johnson convincing Kennedy to pursue the Great Welfare State legislative agenda, or Cheney convincing Bush to pursue a foreign policy far removed from the one he campaigned on.)

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can't think of any reason why you could rule out Romney picking Huckabee.  In fact, all things considered, I think that among the 305 million americans alive today, Huckabee would be in the top million or so for his VP choice.  Not too shabby.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:22:48 PM »

Romney may need to.  If there is a chance that the RR will split off, then he needs Huckabee to appease them.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 02:58:03 AM »

Romney may need to.  If there is a chance that the RR will split off, then he needs Huckabee to appease them.

Absolutely agree - it's one of the only ways Romney would be able to pull off a win.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 03:37:25 AM »

Mike Dale Huckabee is Romney's only choice for the Vice Presidency, if Romney is indeed nominated next year. As Inks said, Huckabee would help in the Deep South. But if Senator Clinton was nominated it could cause problems for a Romney/Huckabee ticket, especially the way polls are going in Arkansas and many toss up states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies