Suffolk GOP, no candidate endorse Dem County Exec Steve Levy's re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:29:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Suffolk GOP, no candidate endorse Dem County Exec Steve Levy's re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Suffolk GOP, no candidate endorse Dem County Exec Steve Levy's re-election  (Read 2424 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:21:34 PM »

How bad has it gotten for the GOP in Suffolk County??  For the first time in Long Island history one of the two major parties is not selecting a candidate to run for county executive.  Even when the Republicans controlled everything on Long Island the Democrats were at least able to field candidates for County Executive.  But this year the Republicans have chosen not to field a candidate of their own and instead are endorsing Steve Levy's re-election bid.

Granted Levy isn't exactly the most liberal Democrat.  The two Dem Congressman from Suffolk, Tim Bishop & Steve Israel are further to the left, Bishop quite a bit further left.   Levy is quite conservative when it comes to immigration.  Levy is pretty popular and even if the GOP did nominate someone they stood virtually no chance of winning or even being competitive.   However, it is a real telling sign of how far the GOP has fallen on Long Island when they can't even come up with a candidate for County Executive.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »

Now if only Nassau could get someone to boot Rep. King out of office.... any news?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 02:15:51 AM »

Now if only Nassau could get someone to boot Rep. King out of office.... any news?

Not at the moment. However, 2008 could be interesting for a few reasons.  For starters King's races other than last year have generally been the closest during Presidential elections, in part due to the Democrats generally winning the district (Bush won in 04 due to the 9/11 bump) but its traditionally Dem on the Pres level.  the higher turnout generally causes a closer election.  Also due to the fact King had to spend last year like he hasn't done in the past, he has $500,000 less in the bank now than he had at this point in the 06 cycle.   

I wouldn't be surprised if Mejias decides to take another run at King, but if it happens don't expect any news till late in the year or early next year since he will be running for re-election to the Nassau County Legislature this year.  Mejias is my rep in the Nassau County Legislature (Nassau L.D-14).

King greatly benefited last year from not having serious competition in the past which resulted in him having a large amount of $$ to start.  Having $500,000 at this point will lesses King's $$ advantage.  Also Mejias entered quite late (end of May) more than likely regardless if its Mejias or someone else, they will get into the race quite a bit sooner than that.  Able to raise more $$ as well as more time to build name recognition. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 03:08:40 AM »

Holy sh**t. Hadn't this position been Republican forever until recently? I know that it flipped more recently than the Nassau county legislature, which had been Republican from 1917-2001. Long Island Republicans were real dirtbags from what I could tell. I saw one steal an election sign once.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 03:15:11 AM »

Holy sh**t. Hadn't this position been Republican forever until recently? I know that it flipped more recently than the Nassau county legislature, which had been Republican from 1917-2001. Long Island Republicans were real dirtbags from what I could tell. I saw one steal an election sign once.

I think you are referring to the Nassau County Executive, which wass Republican from 1938 till Suozzi won in 2001 with the exception of 1962-1970 when Eugene Nickerson was the County Exec and a Democrat.  The Democrats did hold the office in Suffolk a couple times prior to Levy, the last was Patrick Halpin who served from 1987 till 1991.  Regardless it was for the most part Republican and for a long time Republicans controlled Long Island politics on the local level and won on the national level.

Now Democrats hold both county execs, the GOP can't even get a candidate to run for County Exec in Suffolk, the Dems hold  both county DA's, hold most county wide offices in both counties, majorities in both county Legislatures, hold the majority of town supervisor positions on LI, have 4 of the 5 members of Long Island's Congressional delegation and vote Democratic on the Pres level.  The GOP still holds the majority of the State Senate seats on Long Island, but have lost everything else.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:07:40 PM »

An interesting example of how an entrenched local machine can collapse with great speed. Although, over here they often rebuild themselves equally quickly and almost always do so eventually. There are exceptions (such as the fall of the Newcastle Tories) though. And in some cases the rebuilt machine is nothing on the old one (though, again, not always).
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 07:52:18 PM »

So the local GOP endorses your guy for county exec, and you still complain about it?

Sheesh.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »

So the local GOP endorses your guy for county exec, and you still complain about it?

Sheesh.

Looks like celebrating to me, not complaining.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »

Sheesh.

I'm actually in Nassau, though I am close to the Suffolk border, but I wasn't complaining about it, not in the least.  I have commented for awhile now how far the GOP has fallen and how much they have lost on Long Island in recent years and this is just another example.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 12:36:15 AM »

Another article on how far the Suffolk GOP has fallen

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lipols0603,0,1054518.column?coll=ny-linews-headlines

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies