Would FDR have won a fifth term? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:09:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would FDR have won a fifth term? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would he have won in 1948
Yes

No

Don't Know

Wouldn't have run

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Would FDR have won a fifth term?  (Read 4637 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: May 31, 2007, 01:45:42 AM »

I'm going to break the trend and say no.  All things considered, Dewey did pretty well in 1944, in fact, the war is probably the only reason he didn't defeat FDR.  That's a big reason, but I don't think a post-war America would like FDR anymore just because the war was over.  Also, people in post-war America would not have thought too much of FDR's "let's just do it now and worry about the results later" style.  People would have wanted spending reigned in, and they would not have taken well to any grand expiriments in any other areas.  The reason people liked Truman was because he brought the economy under control and calmed the country down while providing a model for stability.  Even if FDR were in good health, people would have been ready for someone else.  I think FDR goes down in a narrow, but still clear defeat to Taft, Warren (who would have won by the widest margin) or Dewey.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies