Who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:51:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination? [last intrade transaction price in brackets]
Hillary Clinton [50.6]

Barack Obama [29.0]

Al Gore [10.3]

John Edwards [6.5]

Bill Richardson [2.2]

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Who do you THINK will win the Democratic nomination?  (Read 4096 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:44:12 PM »

clinton
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:46:42 PM »

Obama. I have come to accept that the nominee will be either him or Clinton, and Obama seems to excite the base more, so Obama.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »

chris dodd.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »

I don't think so. Surely even you have come to accept that Chris Dodd won't win the nomination?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »

I'm starting to believe the notion that the Clinton following will be too strong to take down.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »

Hillary Clinton. People want to go back to the last time we had a Clinton in office. Hillary herself has done a great job of making her self seem more human in the last few years, I think.  If Romney and Hillary face off in 2008, I'd have to go to Hillary. I really don't understand why most Republicans loath her so. She's easily the most right wing of the democrats running.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »

I don't think so. Surely even you have come to accept that Chris Dodd won't win the nomination?

It took him until October to realize Ken Blackwell would lose so I'm pretty sure he's serious.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »

It took him until October to realize Ken Blackwell would lose so I'm pretty sure he's serious.

indeed im serious, comrade.

you should get over your obamamania and your man-crush on gus hall and come join the dodd squad!
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 07:38:18 PM »

What? People are not getting distraught by the Bush-Clinton cycle yet?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 07:58:18 PM »

Hillary Clinton. People want to go back to the last time we had a Clinton in office. Hillary herself has done a great job of making her self seem more human in the last few years, I think.  If Romney and Hillary face off in 2008, I'd have to go to Hillary. I really don't understand why most Republicans loath her so. She's easily the most right wing of the democrats running.

whoa.  slow down there hoss.  she may very well win her party's nomination, but there's a reason folks don't like her.  Sure, she and her husband are fairly centrist, despite what some rightists claim, but that doesn't make her more human than the field.  She's an opportunist, not unlike the single-celled organism Escherichia coli.  Note that epidemiologists never call Escherichia coli a pathogen, but rather an opportunist.  So long as it's in the soil, or in your digestive tract, or around the rim of your anus, where it is probably the most ubiquitous of all species found thereabouts, it's not really harming anyone.  But when you start to poke around your rim with your fingers, then stick your fingers in your mouth, you get sick.  Children sometimes do this, much the same way as Democrats sometimes start to make noises about promoting reasonably well-serving US Senators to the Presidency.  They tried this is 2004, and the public resoundingly reminded them that those two jobs have remarkably different job descriptions (see articles 1 and 2 of the Constitution), and there's no reason we ought to apply the Peter Principle at every opportunity. 
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »

Al Gore
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 08:21:38 PM »

Hillary
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

whoa.  slow down there hoss.  she may very well win her party's nomination, but there's a reason folks don't like her.  Sure, she and her husband are fairly centrist, despite what some rightists claim, but that doesn't make her more human than the field.  She's an opportunist, not unlike the single-celled organism Escherichia coli.  Note that epidemiologists never call Escherichia coli a pathogen, but rather an opportunist.  So long as it's in the soil, or in your digestive tract, or around the rim of your anus, where it is probably the most ubiquitous of all species found thereabouts, it's not really harming anyone.  But when you start to poke around your rim with your fingers, then stick your fingers in your mouth, you get sick.  Children sometimes do this, much the same way as Democrats sometimes start to make noises about promoting reasonably well-serving US Senators to the Presidency.  They tried this is 2004, and the public resoundingly reminded them that those two jobs have remarkably different job descriptions (see articles 1 and 2 of the Constitution), and there's no reason we ought to apply the Peter Principle at every opportunity. 

Well, she’s not my first choice, even among the democrats. [that would be Joe Biden. I don’t agree with him on much, but I like his plan for Iraq, and believe him to be a man of integrity who sticks to his principles. And that’s not meant to be an ironic statement, though it may look like it.] But I like Hillary, and I do feels sorry for her after all that Bill put her through. A part of me wants to see the old girl elected just to shake the old boys club up a little. However, I should stress that I’d only vote for her over Romney or Fred Thompson, and I would consider voting libertarian depending on who they put up.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »

old girl?  I agree that it'd say something positive about our society if we elected a woman.  The way Wyoming and Texas became the first US states to elect woman governors in 1924, just five years after women could even vote.  Or the way Margaret Thatcher was elected PM in 1979.  But there's a difference.  Thatcher didn't suck anyone's dick to get there.  And she didn't marry into it.  She did it on her own.  And being a female conservative in 1970s Britain can't have been easy.  It must have taken tenacity.  And it must have required an open-minded, if frustrated, voting populace.  And that says something wonderful about her and about her country.  So we respect her and we respect her people, albeit grudgingly.  If Hillary wins, all the Brits can ever say about us is that apparently to get elected US president, you have to be a self-obsessesed lawyer married to another self-obsessed laywer who likes really good head better than he likes his own country.  That's sad, man.  And it's a sad day for egalitarianism.  There are many intelligent women out there.  I have voted for many of them myself.  I voted for that harley-riding bulldyke Ann Richards for governor, for example.  Twice.  In 1990 and in 1994.  And she didn't jump on any man's coattails to get her job.  She did it all by herself.  And that says something positive about her and about the good people of the state of Texas.  And I voted for Dianne Feinstein.  And that says something positive about her and about the good people of the state of California.  I do think we should look beyond gender to seek our best leaders on merit.  And I think we're a mature enough society to do that.  I'm pround to have had Richards for a governor and Feinstein for a Senator.  I'm not proud of Clinton.  Any woman who would put up with what she put up with from her husband is the sort of 1950s repressed hausfrau that should make any modern woman cringe.  Or she's the sort of opportunist that would put her own career ahead of her integrity and her humanity.  No, thanks.

Ah, but to each his own.  Or her own.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  Among the Democrats, I favor Obama.  Among the Republicans I'm undecided.  To answer the poll, I'd probably guess either Clinton or Obama, but I generally try to avoid voting in these assinine polls, because it says nothing other than I'm literate enough to follow commonly available polling data, or that I have a crystal ball.  But if I had a crystal ball, I'd have invested wisely enough by now that I'd be sailing around the world on a full-service yacht rather than sitting in a cramped apartment entertaining myself in front of a laptop arguing politics with other geeks, wouldn't I?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »

Barack Obama.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

I used to support, Bill Richardson but I abondoned his candidacy bandwagon.

If Al Gore runs, then he'll easily kick the other Democrats asses.

Hillary Clinton, will try to win the nomination but even with her machine I don't think she'll stop the excitement of the charismatic Barack Obama.

So in short, I voted for Obama.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:21 PM »

Obama.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 11:36:17 PM »

Most realistically right now, it will be Hillary Clinton.  I think that's unfortunate; I have much the same opinion about her as Angus does, though I could never have stated it so well.

It should be Al Gore; he's the only one that I think has the balls to actually try to solve some of this country's problems.  He'd win the election in a landslide too--call it 'buyer's remorse' if you will, but I think people really regret how things turned out in 2000.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 11:46:57 PM »

I really don't understand why most Republicans loath her so. She's easily the most right wing of the democrats running.

Wow, a Republican who realizes this!

Obama.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 11:58:10 PM »

Obama
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 12:11:27 AM »

Hillary Clinton, for better or worse.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 01:34:51 AM »

1. Chris Dodd will be the Democratic Presidential nominee.
2. Thad Cochran will lose to some Democrat we never even have heard of.
3. Ernie Fletcher will wipe the floor with that Beshear fellow.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 09:45:43 AM »

1. Chris Dodd will be the Democratic Presidential nominee.
2. Thad Cochran will lose to some Democrat we never even have heard of.
3. Ernie Fletcher will wipe the floor with that Beshear fellow.
And George W Bush's reputation will recover during his lifetime.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 10:22:46 AM »

You can never tell, with that one. Even Nixon mostly recovered his reputation by the time he died.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »

You can never tell, with that one. Even Nixon mostly recovered his reputation by the time he died.
No. The media just pretended it had for the duration of a two-week lovefest after his death.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies