Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:09:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination? [last Intrade transaction price in brackets]
Fred Thompson [26.8]

Rudy Giuliani [26.0]

Mitt Romney [22.1]

John McCain [13.0]

Ron Paul [2.0]

Mike Huckabee [1.7]

Newt Gingrich [1.6]

Mike Bloomberg [1.1]

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?  (Read 2925 times)
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »

Huckabee has been sucked up by the Fred Thompson non-announcement parade.  His campaign has been really low on funds since the start and I simply don't see that changing.  I sincerely believe that he doesn't stand a chance of getting out of that tornado before it hits in July, unless Thompson decides not to enter.

He would make a good VP candidate for Rudy, less so for Thompson or Romney, IMHO. (well, better for Romney than Thompson)

Huckabee said during the debate that he wouldn't run under someone who was pro-choice.  Guess that excludes him as a Rudy VP.

Though I think Huckabee would be the best running mate for Romney.  Huckabee wins Arkansas (important if he's up against Hillary), solidifies the South, and wins social conservatives in key states like Ohio and Missouri.  Plus he's also very personable.  A Romney/Huckabee ticket would be quite formidable

A lot of Thompson's momentum will depend on his performance before the media and in the future debates. He hasn't really created all this campaign momentum, it's just sort of been there for him. If he gets in and it looks like he's just another empty suit, look for one of the second tier candidates to break through.
nlm
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »

As of now, I'd say Mitt has the best chance - but it's fairly well wide open. Mitt has the money and slickness. He strikes me as the best used car salesman at the GOP lot currently.

Ron Paul seems to be the only one trying to sell new cars at the GOP lot, but folks are largely reacting to him like he's selling Yugos.

The main challenge for most of the Republicans seems like it's going to be explaining to the American people what they would do differently than Bush if given the chance. If they can not, I don't think it's really going to matter all that much who wins the GOP nomination.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »

Thompson, obviously.  Who do you think are the hardcore Republican primary voters?  I won't elucidate but I will say they're not voting for a mormon or a wop.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »

I would say Fred Thompson or possibly Mitt Romney.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 04:39:05 PM »

Ron Paul seems to be the only one trying to sell new cars at the GOP lot, but folks are largely reacting to him like he's selling Yugos.

How is an eighteenth-century foreign policy comparable to a new car?
nlm
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 09:25:59 PM »

How is an eighteenth-century foreign policy comparable to a new car?

Every thing that is old shall be new again. He's really the only one selling something of actual difference to what Bush sold, or so it seems sometimes. The rest are just trying to recycle Bush with their own little twists. The "new" Republicans are of little interest to me. I've always held a certain amount of respect for McCain, but he's really pushed the envelope of what I find to be stupid over the last few years.

So while Ron Pauls ideas about actually abidding by the constitution are very old, they are "new" to the people that run the current GOP it would seem - and not very popular with them either it would seem.

Listening to Rudy openly embracing "nation building" as the center of his foriegn policy during the last debate really demonstrates just how far the GOP has drifted in only the last 6 years. We should have seen tomatos and small pieces of garbage being tossed in his general direction - not a crowd of so called Republicans cheering him. But the "new" GOP is it's own beast.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies