2024 South African general election, 29 May:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:51:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2024 South African general election, 29 May:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: 2024 South African general election, 29 May:  (Read 14524 times)
Flyersfan232

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2024, 04:08:40 AM »

If EFF gets into power the US must immediately grant asylum to all white South Africans.

EFF are crazy but they're not quite to that level. That'd be BLF (Black First Land First) which I mentioned earlier in the thread, and they've struggled to even get 0.1% of the vote.
The Eff openly supports arming hamas
Logical

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2024, 06:55:05 AM »

If EFF gets into power the US must immediately grant asylum to all white South Africans.

Flyersfan232

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2024, 04:38:48 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_German_National_Jews
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2024, 07:40:17 PM »

EFF are crazy but they're not quite to that level. That'd be BLF (Black First Land First) which I mentioned earlier in the thread, and they've struggled to even get 0.1% of the vote.
The Eff openly supports arming hamas
Yes, I did say they were crazy.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 03:07:14 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_German_National_Jews

A couple of weeks ago I went for a group run in a certain East Johannesburg suburb which I will not name (it's not Brakpan nor Alberton, but it's a bit like both of them). That morning, a guy that I had literally never spoken to before, in fact I hadn't even brought up politics and the extent of our conversation at that point had basically been to exchange names, randomly started on his theory about how the fact that whites were descended from people who had migrated to the harsh european climates meant that they had evolved to be harder working and more adapted and therefore it was totally natural that the whites would rule over the blacks. Now I am very fond of South Africa and South Africans. But it's weird that it's also literally the only place where I have these sorts of experiences.

More to the point. South Africa is a country undergoing multiple crises - unemplyoment and stagnation, inequality, crime, crumbling infrastructure, intense corruption and an increasing sense of shared despair that increasingly threatens to descend into social unrest. There is a real threat of post electoral violence. But it is black people, not whites, especially in kwaZulu-Natal, who are the most exposed to this threat. In particular a situation where Zuma has repeatedly challenged the legitimacy of the Independent Electoral Committee and threatened violence should the results not go the way of the MK party. How utterly predictable that this site would be unable to actually consider any of this beyond the prism of the deranged obsessions of the American far right.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 04:51:44 PM »

Meanwhile, DA (apparently) surging while MK party are killing EFF and IFP. Congratulations, South Africa, in always managing to come up with something worse than the alternatives that already exist.

(MPC is the Multi Party Charter, ie DA and friends)

Full stuff here .
Including polls of the Western Cape - DA on 53%
KZN  - DA/IFP on 39% (19% each); MK on 25%; ANC on 20%; EFF on 14%
Gauteng - DA & friends on 38%; ANC on 34%; EFF on 11%

The latter two will be hillarious, or chaotic, take your pick.

Also worth noting though, 43% indicating they would rather South Africa aligns itself geopolitically with the west v 19% who would rather it aligns with the BRICS.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2024, 10:36:14 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I went for a group run in a certain East Johannesburg suburb which I will not name (it's not Brakpan nor Alberton, but it's a bit like both of them). That morning, a guy that I had literally never spoken to before, in fact I hadn't even brought up politics and the extent of our conversation at that point had basically been to exchange names, randomly started on his theory about how the fact that whites were descended from people who had migrated to the harsh european climates meant that they had evolved to be harder working and more adapted and therefore it was totally natural that the whites would rule over the blacks. Now I am very fond of South Africa and South Africans. But it's weird that it's also literally the only place where I have these sorts of experiences.

Oh no you can also experience this among the Saffas who left for Oz. One of my old high school teachers never shut up about his days at the University of the Orange Free State and teaching at “proper” schools back before he was “forced” to escape the evils of change. Would randomly bring up anecdotes about living near the “scary” homelands.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2024, 10:44:10 PM »

what even is MKParty's ideology? ANC but even more corrupt?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2024, 11:07:06 PM »

MK seems to be a pro-Zuma ANC splinter
woahhh
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2024, 02:30:01 PM »

what even is MKParty's ideology? ANC but even more corrupt?

Imagine Trump lost the primary and started the Patriot Eagle Freedom Truth party.

Basically it's that, in Zuma flavour.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2024, 08:00:37 PM »

Oh no you can also experience this among the Saffas who left for Oz. One of my old high school teachers never shut up about his days at the University of the Orange Free State and teaching at “proper” schools back before he was “forced” to escape the evils of change. Would randomly bring up anecdotes about living near the “scary” homelands.
Spent some time teaching in the UAE where there's a lot of South Africans and quite a few of those types. One guy actually fought in the Bush Wars and used to tell the kids about his fighting days. One pupil (was only about 10 or so) asked to do a project on Mandela - he said it was alright but he should mention why Mandela went to prison (basically saying to the kid he was a terrorist). Definitely think the place attracted a certain type of Saffa.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2024, 01:59:57 AM »

Saying Mandela was a terrorist isn't wrong - he literally was.

But people who make a point of bringing it up and letting it overshadow his actual achievements for a peaceful resolution of that conflict, have to fall under a bit suspicion.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2024, 05:49:39 AM »

Saying Mandela was a terrorist isn't wrong - he literally was.

But people who make a point of bringing it up and letting it overshadow his actual achievements for a peaceful resolution of that conflict, have to fall under a bit suspicion.
Oh yeah, I get why he see things that way. But it did seem a bit off to me to be saying it to a kid of 10 (who tbf it probably flew over his head). Guy was not PC to say the least - almost got fired for calling a child a camel. Once heard him say he'd rip a child's tongue out for talking (which sounds scary in a South African accent). He was the most egregious example but there was a few (mostly the older ones) who said certain things about things in South Africa and I'd be like 'eek' (younger ones seemed to be more progressive)
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2024, 06:53:18 AM »

That kind of SA diaspora is probably everywhere tbh. Rory Sabbatini, a golfer who married a Slovak woman and won us a silver medal in Tokyo got in hot water after people noticed that he has a tattoo that suspiciously resembles the three sevens in the logo of AWB. His wife explained that it's actually three Ls that stand for "love, laughter, loyalty" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2024, 08:44:24 AM »

Spent some time teaching in the UAE where there's a lot of South Africans and quite a few of those types. One guy actually fought in the Bush Wars and used to tell the kids about his fighting days. One pupil (was only about 10 or so) asked to do a project on Mandela - he said it was alright but he should mention why Mandela went to prison (basically saying to the kid he was a terrorist). Definitely think the place attracted a certain type of Saffa.

#notallsaffaexpats

(but yeah a lot of them suck, especially those that left in the initial white flight of the 90s)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2024, 03:15:40 AM »

That kind of SA diaspora is probably everywhere tbh. Rory Sabbatini, a golfer who married a Slovak woman and won us a silver medal in Tokyo got in hot water after people noticed that he has a tattoo that suspiciously resembles the three sevens in the logo of AWB. His wife explained that it's actually three Ls that stand for "love, laughter, loyalty" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Almost poetic that a controversial South African in Slovakia would be an Italian South African. Even rhymes with Pellegrini...

My favourite Italian South African is of course the man who moved there as an adult to become Buthelezi's libertarian legal advisor. You really can't make this stuff up.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2024, 05:28:23 PM »

The Bart, the!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2024, 09:47:15 AM »

The election so far seems to be EFF and MK gaining or ANC relative to 2019
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2024, 02:47:26 AM »

ANC was doing badly already, but their campaign couldn’t have got off to a worse start: Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, the Speaker of the National Assembly had her home raided, was arrested and charged with corruption.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2024, 05:03:07 PM »

Polling indicates that the ANC plus its two main splinters wins 50-60% of the vote.

The ANC may be able to eke out one more term, but they are going to definitely lose the next election. Fitting that they lose to the anti-government Multi-Party Charter, very much similar to the same coalition that won in Argentina.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2024, 04:24:40 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/south-africa-election-anc-zuma-court-d409db1059c7f563cc169668bd9357f0

"South Africa’s ANC fails in bid to ban former leader Zuma’s party from polls"

ANC's attempt to keep Zuma's MK off the ballot fails.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2024, 09:11:35 AM »

My colored family in Cape Town always complains about how corrupt and ineffective the ANC is. I don't honestly care who wins as long as the ANC is kicked out of power.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2024, 04:08:16 AM »

My colored family in Cape Town always complains about how corrupt and ineffective the ANC is. I don't honestly care who wins as long as the ANC is kicked out of power.

Yeah. Personally I'd vote DA/MPC- they have some problems, but the ANC is worse on so many levels.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2024, 11:56:15 AM »

Well that’s it then, I’m tactically giving critical support to the EFF.

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2024, 10:02:39 PM »

Well that’s it then, I’m tactically giving critical support to the EFF.

The EFF would join a coalition with the ANC, which tbh is my biggest issue with them
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies