Rugby World Cup 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:20:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Rugby World Cup 2007
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup 2007  (Read 9628 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2007, 04:04:26 PM »

And so the State of the Irish Rugby team..

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »

Aer Lingus! No, no - surely Ryanair!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »

Aer Lingus! No, no - surely Ryanair!

Nah they go on Aer Lingus so they can avoid carrying the Shell that was Ronan O'Gara into the luggage department and thus paying €1,000,000 for the priviledge...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2007, 06:09:29 PM »

I think we can say officially now "we are out". Sad

Though I'm still hoping for surprises from Tonga and Fiji.. It's been an interesting RWC so far all things considered (even if the worst performance ever by an Irish side in one.)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »

HORRIBLE

AWFUL STUFF
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2007, 02:57:28 AM »

Yep, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I remember checking the scores in the first half... first time was 3-7, then 3-15, then 3-18, then 3-24...

They have got to do something about their dire showings during the first half. Second half; fine. Good side in the second half. First half; dreadful, leaning diabolical.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2007, 06:37:07 AM »

We're through in a nailbiter with Italy. Phew Smiley
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007, 02:45:44 PM »

Yep, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I remember checking the scores in the first half... first time was 3-7, then 3-15, then 3-18, then 3-24...

They have got to do something about their dire showings during the first half. Second half; fine. Good side in the second half. First half; dreadful, leaning diabolical.

Try firing our uppity ass-hat of a coach.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »

With Ireland and Wales out can little old Scotland count on some transferred support? (BEGS) Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »

Well , if England and/or Scotland make it through to the final and win, I'll be Smiley

Why can't we have a British national team Sad?

Dave
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2007, 11:00:36 PM »

All southern hemisphere semi-finals, here we come!

Argentina will beat Scotland, and Australia, South Africa and New Zealand are too good to lose to any team other than one of the other two. I'm hoping for Argentina vs. Australia in the final, but it'll probably be South Africa vs. New Zealand.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2007, 07:14:07 AM »

Did Georgia beat France?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »

Dave

It would significantly reduce the number of regular competitive games playable in the Northern hemisphere. The 6 Nations (or whatever it would then become) would presumably be dominated by such a team with only France able to compete against them.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:40 PM »

Dave

It would significantly reduce the number of regular competitive games playable in the Northern hemisphere. The 6 Nations (or whatever it would then become) would presumably be dominated by such a team with only France able to compete against them.

It would be quite silly, especially if Ireland was part of it.

Sigh...... I am quite depressed, my Grandpa sent me an essay he wrote a few years ago about how Welsh political and economic well being seems to mirror the success of the rugby team, hopefully this year wll be the exception, because we are truly in a miserable state.

However, there are some exciting prospects for a new coach, and in the words of JT "we're bringing sexy (Gavin Henson) back" and not a moment too soon.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2007, 12:14:35 PM »

If the US diverted its focus into Rugby it would probably be world champions in a short time indeed Grin I'm sure it is the most popular game across the pond in an alternate universe.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2007, 12:18:58 PM »

If the US diverted its focus into Rugby it would probably be world champions in a short time indeed Grin I'm sure it is the most popular game across the pond in an alternate universe.

It's mildly popular in a few areas of the country (New England, Gulf Shores, Southern California) the problem is sub-proffessional sports in New England is the worst in the country, and American Football dominates the South and SoCal, not to mention feminine diseases like lacrosse have infected quite a few cowardly kids in the NE and West Coasts. I for one will back rugby teams here, and play in college, hopefully one day I will have a US team I can be proud of.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »

Are the Welsh obsessed with rugby?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »

Well... they'res not alot else to go on, with England dominant in soccer (tho Welsh Euro chances look very mildly possible) we have to focus on one thing, they do alright for such a little country.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »

Well... they'res not alot else to go on, with England dominant in soccer (tho Welsh Euro chances look very mildly possible) we have to focus on one thing, they do alright for such a little country.

Good point. Scotland, up until 10 years ago was a regular performer in football on the international stage (despite not reaching the second round of any major tournament) and Rugby played second fiddle and was seen as too middle class a pursuit. The nation, particularly young people are getting more interested in rugby because, well we can win something in it sometimes. Smiley This year however Scotland sits atop it's group in the Euro 2008 qualifiers (after loosing out on the bid to host it) and if we qualify and Glasgow bags the 2014 Commonwealth Games, then as a nation we will get a boost.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »

Good point. Scotland, up until 10 years ago was a regular performer in football on the international stage (despite not reaching the second round of any major tournament) and Rugby played second fiddle and was seen as too middle class a pursuit. The nation, particularly young people are getting more interested in rugby because, well we can win something in it sometimes. Smiley This year however Scotland sits atop it's group in the Euro 2008 qualifiers (after loosing out on the bid to host it) and if we qualify and Glasgow bags the 2014 Commonwealth Games, then as a nation we will get a boost.

We've got decent rugby and high unemployment, thanks for the latter Labour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2007, 12:50:31 PM »

If you're going to make a pointless (not to mention off topic) partisan point, at least try to make it an accurate one; unemployment in Wales these days is around about the U.K average.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »

If you're going to make a pointless (not to mention off topic) partisan point, at least try to make it an accurate one; unemployment in Wales these days is around about the U.K average.

The country is miserable, in the ten years I've been sharp enough to notice when I visint in the summer, it doesn't get any better, they knock down historic buildings to build a shopping center so it can go out business in two years.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2007, 01:15:12 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2007, 01:18:59 PM by afleitch »

But what an average Grin

''Official figures from the Department of Work and Pensions reveal that the 957,000 people claiming jobseekers' allowance are joined by 2.7m people on incapacity benefit and 777,000 lone parents deemed not to be in "the field of work".

An extra 368,000 people were judged not to be in paid work but instead caring for relatives and hence eligible for a special benefit. A further 314,000 people are in a special disability category, separate to Incapacity Benefit. The total amounts to a massive 5.29m people in receipt of out-of-work benefits, equivalent to 16% of Britain's working-age population. .

There is also a sharp regional variation, with the figure peaking at 31% in some parts of the Welsh valleys. In Glasgow and Liverpool, over 25% of the workforce is now jobless. This rises to 60% in the more deprived suburbs of large cities. Britain's long period of economic growth has completely bypassed 2.39m people who have been dependent on benefit for five years or more, the vast majority in categories which are not included in the official unemployment claimant count or survey, the analysis also reveals. ''

Edit. Off topic. I'll be good now. Obvious dig at government, not the disadvantegment of the Welsh Valleys or indeed my own local Lanarkshire coal belt.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »

But what an average Grin

''Official figures from the Department of Work and Pensions reveal that the 957,000 people claiming jobseekers' allowance are joined by 2.7m people on incapacity benefit and 777,000 lone parents deemed not to be in "the field of work".

An extra 368,000 people were judged not to be in paid work but instead caring for relatives and hence eligible for a special benefit. A further 314,000 people are in a special disability category, separate to Incapacity Benefit. The total amounts to a massive 5.29m people in receipt of out-of-work benefits, equivalent to 16% of Britain's working-age population. .

There is also a sharp regional variation, with the figure peaking at 31% in some parts of the Welsh valleys. In Glasgow and Liverpool, over 25% of the workforce is now jobless. This rises to 60% in the more deprived suburbs of large cities. Britain's long period of economic growth has completely bypassed 2.39m people who have been dependent on benefit for five years or more, the vast majority in categories which are not included in the official unemployment claimant count or survey, the analysis also reveals. ''

Edit. Off topic. I'll be good now. Obvious dig at government, not the disadvantegment of the Welsh Valleys or indeed my own local Lanarkshire coal belt.

Yeah nvm, go Scotland and England as far as I matter at this point.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »

Official unemployment statistics are, of course, a fiddle (up to a point anyway). Though they're actually less of a fiddle now than they used to be.

There are, of course, a lot of people on IB in Wales (a consequence both of an economy reliant on heavy industry and of the economic catastrophe that hit South Wales in the 1980's and early '90's), and as a result the overall employment rate in Wales is slightly below the U.K average.

Blaming the current government (both at Westminster and at Cardiff Bay) is just silly; it's quite clearly not the fault of either.
I happen to think that more can be done as regards the social problems in the Valleys (housing is a big issue; the area will continue to lose population until the quality of housing improves. A majority of houses in the Rhondda Valley were built before 1918 and many are in a dreadful state) and I also think that more could have been done over the past decade (little rant here; the Assembly Government might have been able to do more had the official measure of deprivation not been deliberately rigged against the Valleys), but the time to deal with (at least in the sense of "getting them jobs") the issue of former miners on IB and the like (along a lot of people who were just unlucky enough to be young in the early 1980's) was in the early '90's.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies