Comeback for Nixon in 1964?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:10:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Comeback for Nixon in 1964?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comeback for Nixon in 1964?  (Read 884 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:07:28 PM »

In January, 1964, a mere two months after taking office, a haggard looking  President Lyndon B.  Johnson stuns the nation and the world by announcing he will not be seeking a full term as President. 

"It pains me to the very core of mah being, that I will not be running for a full term as your President, but my health will simply not permit me to go through yet another political campaign, and in particular the rigors of a Presidential campaign.  Therefore, in order to allow other candidates to come forward, I am announcing my decision now.  God bless America."

Stunning as well, other top Democrats, Hubert HUmphrey, Stuart Symington, Henry Jackson, all announce they have no interest in the nomination.

Former Vice President Richard Nixon sees an opening, and decides to get back into Presidential politics fours years ahead of his original plan.

Nixon defeats Nelson Rockefeller and Barry Goldwater to win the Republican nomination, and makes a surprise pick for Vice President, former top notch executive and recently elected Governor of Michigan, George Romney.   

The Democrats turn to senior statesman, Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield of Montana as their Presidential nominee.  Mansfield as well makes a surprise pick for Vice President, persuading top labor lawyer and former Kennedy Labor Secretary to step down as an Associate Justice of the Supresme Court, to run with him on the ticket as Vice Presidential nominee.

Does Nixon make it to the White House four years ahead of schedule?

How does this election turn out?

Maps? 
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:38:09 PM »

I don't think Nixon would have done well at all in 1964. Not only is this just two years after he loses the California gubernatorial race, but his 'silent majority' doesn't exist yet. There aren't any official U.S. ground troops in Vietnam yet, racial riots and Vietnam War protests haven't shaken the nation, RFK and MLK are both still alive, etc. The Democrats could merely evoke the Kennedy/Johnson legacy and act in a gung-ho, militaristic manner come Gulf of Tonkin.

Interesting choice with Mansfield, though. Although he obviously voted for Gulf of Tonkin, he became a Vietnam critic as well as a proponent of the Nixon Doctrine.

This would actually be the perfect time for a segregationist third party candidate. Mansfield introduced the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Nixon had a pro-civil rights record as Vice President and re-affirmed his support for civil rights during the 1960 campaign. Given the opportunity, I doubt the south would vote for either of those two men.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »

I neglected to name the Democratic VP candidate in  my original post, as you know, the former Labor Secretary and Associate Supreme Court Justice was Arthur Goldberg of New York.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 04:21:07 PM »

I neglected to name the Democratic VP candidate in  my original post, as you know, the former Labor Secretary and Associate Supreme Court Justice was Arthur Goldberg of New York.

I thought you meant, Byron 'Whizzer' White of Colorado.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies