Would Giuliani spark a 3rd party challenge from the right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:27:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would Giuliani spark a 3rd party challenge from the right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would Giuliani spark a 3rd party challenge from the right?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Would Giuliani spark a 3rd party challenge from the right?  (Read 2488 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2007, 05:45:10 PM »

In todays Politico there is an article titled Conservatives would bolt GOP over Rudy

here is an excerpt
You must be logged in to read this quote.

so would Rudy spark a 3rd party conservative? Could he get 'Nadered'? If so who would that candidate be and how strong could he be?  Could a strong southern cultural christian conservative possibly pick up a number of Bible belt states in a Rudy v Hillary race?

and could this possibly lead to the GOP finally splintering between its Religious Right/Social Conservative and its more Libertarian/Fiscal Conservaitve wings?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:56:48 PM »

I voted yes but I'm half and half. Most of the people who would make a serious challange probably would decide against running when knowing which Democrat would win so it would probably be some nobody that would hardly get any votes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »

Yes and the Constitution Party would be the likely beneficiary. Probably get Naderish numbers with most of the votes picked up in states that won't even be close.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »

Yes, if Rudy gets nominated the religious and libertarian wings of the party could very possibly split off. (Rudy is not a libertarian.)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »

Maybe but it wouldn't be a very serious challenge.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »

A Nader-2000 kind of challenge, not someone seriously able to win any states, let alone the Presidency.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »

Maybe but it wouldn't be a very serious challenge.

I agree.  I think that GOP voters (or former party voters) would still vote for Rudy depending on how liberal the democratic candidate is.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »

Not one that would get a significant % of the national vote, but definitely enough of one to take some swing states away from him.

For example, if it's Guiliani vs. Hillary, I'd definitely bet on Hillary winning Arkansas thanks to the 3rd party right winger.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 09:01:19 PM »

Not one that would get a significant % of the national vote, but definitely enough of one to take some swing states away from him.

For example, if it's Guiliani vs. Hillary, I'd definitely bet on Hillary winning Arkansas thanks to the 3rd party right winger.

Get real, Harry.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:09:10 PM »

This poster would vote for a third party conservative in the Buchanan/Paul mold over Rudy.  It just depends if the right kind of conservative decides to run or not in 2008 should somebody like Rudy, McCain, Romney, or even Thompson be nominated.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »

Roy Moore hasno more political capitol left after his disasterous run for Alabama Governor in 2006, so he's out. Patrick Buchanan seems to be sick of making long shot bids for the White House. Jim Clymer and his Constitution Party suffer from such little name recognition I don't beleive they could make a seriosu bid.

I would assume a serious run could be mounted by Jerome Corsi, but he is the only figure on the far-right I can think of who could gain any votes at all. Perhaps he could run with Jim Gilchrist.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 10:15:17 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if this occured, if Giuliani became the Republicans nominee in 2008. However, with Giuliani switching positions on Abortion everyday, it seems that by doing this he's 'trying' to attract more conservative voters to his voter base. But, if he keeps his position on liberal opinion on Abortion then a third party will run against Giuliani in the presidential election of 2008.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 10:31:34 PM »

Yes, I suppose, but how is it remotely possible that the Religious Party will nominate an Italian from New York?  It is not.  Keep in mind that dislike of Gulianai's type - ethnicity and regional background - is far more important for his rejection by the Southerners than any details of his views (though of course the two things are probably not seperable).

In all seriousness, more of these people would vote for Edwards than Gulianai, even though they agree with him less - he's a white Southern Protestant.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »

Get real, Harry.
I am being real.  I promise that I believe that will happen, I am not trying to deceive you.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 11:29:51 PM »

Roy Moore hasno more political capitol left after his disasterous run for Alabama Governor in 2006, so he's out. Patrick Buchanan seems to be sick of making long shot bids for the White House. Jim Clymer and his Constitution Party suffer from such little name recognition I don't beleive they could make a seriosu bid.

I would assume a serious run could be mounted by Jerome Corsi, but he is the only figure on the far-right I can think of who could gain any votes at all. Perhaps he could run with Jim Gilchrist.

Right now, Corsi is the likely CP nominee.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »

lol.

When I saw the thread topic, I read it as "Would Giuliani spank a 3rd party challenge from the right?"
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 11:54:14 PM »

Get real, Harry.

I gotta agree with Harry on this one. Arkansas is not a GOP stronghold...yet. AR will be a complete tossup in this scenario. As it is, Rudy won't have quite the same appeal as a southerner that Bush did, and he didn't landslide AR even against Kerry!

I can only see Rudy carrying AR if he chose Huckabee as his VP.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 02:15:30 AM »

Get real, Harry.

lol...crazy Harry.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 02:21:47 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2007, 02:26:30 AM by Eraserhead »

Get real, Harry.
I am being real.  I promise that I believe that will happen, I am not trying to deceive you.

Harry you also thought Chris Bell was going to be the next Governor of Texas last year. I'm sure you believe what you're saying but the problem is that it doesn't make a lot of sense.
skybridge
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 04:08:16 AM »

2008 is an open election, something that favors 3rd parties. But what is so not-conservative-enough about Giuliani? Doesn't anyone listen to him? His social liberalism pales in comparison to the fascist measures he proposes!
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »

maybe Jerome Corsi?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 09:41:41 PM »

Get real, Harry.

I gotta agree with Harry on this one. Arkansas is not a GOP stronghold...yet. AR will be a complete tossup in this scenario. As it is, Rudy won't have quite the same appeal as a southerner that Bush did, and he didn't landslide AR even against Kerry!

I can only see Rudy carrying AR if he chose Huckabee as his VP.

Huckabee would not be a bad choice for Rudy. He will need to project some balance and a conservative from the South is a good choice. A governor also works if he wants to run from outside DC.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »

Hillary would easily defeat Giuliani in Arkansas, 3rd party or not. Giuliani is about as awful as is possible for a candidate in Arkansas.

A gun-grabbing, pro-choice, union busting Republican with a horrible marital record running against someone married to the most popular guy in the state  in a state full of pro-life, pro-gun, economically populist Democrats?

Yeah, that sounds like a wonderful scenario for the GOP.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 03:34:44 AM »

Very possible but I really can't say for sure right now. What many Rudy fans don't realize is that this could really hurt the GOP, too. I don't think the candidate would receive a significant amount of the national popular vote but it could be enough to swing a few states. But I realized in the past couple of days that arguing with Rudy supporters is worse than having a brain tumor. Some of those people are just flat out stupid.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »

Very possible but I really can't say for sure right now. What many Rudy fans don't realize is that this could really hurt the GOP, too. I don't think the candidate would receive a significant amount of the national popular vote but it could be enough to swing a few states. But I realized in the past couple of days that arguing with Rudy supporters is worse than having a brain tumor. Some of those people are just flat out stupid.

Hey, nice to see that you realize that.

What the Giuliani supporters fail to realize is all the moderate voters who voted for Kerry and Democratic candidates last election are not pro-war and not going to vote for a pro-war candidate. Their ideal candidate is not a pro-choice pro-war candidate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies