The Caribbean Statehood Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:04:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Caribbean Statehood Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Caribbean Statehood Act  (Read 8916 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2004, 03:44:36 PM »

Having a state in that area could be useful in controlling problems which have arisen in that area, especially in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

It would also aid if we were to ever mount an attack against Fidel Castro in Cuba as it would allow us a good base for operation not only to the North but out to the East.

The last time I checked, we were already committing our military in other parts of the world which are currently in much more dire straits than Haiti is, and are much more of a threat. We all know Senator Harry's love for Imperialism, and the "benefits" that come out of this manuever are too few to compensate for the immense difficulty that incorporating these areas into a fully functioning, efficient state will be.

Senator Nation,

I meant they would be useful in cases of future dissent in Haiti as a good base from which to stipulate an attack.

I am more thinking in the long term than in the short term here.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2004, 03:48:40 PM »

Having a state in that area could be useful in controlling problems which have arisen in that area, especially in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

It would also aid if we were to ever mount an attack against Fidel Castro in Cuba as it would allow us a good base for operation not only to the North but out to the East.

The last time I checked, we were already committing our military in other parts of the world which are currently in much more dire straits than Haiti is, and are much more of a threat. We all know Senator Harry's love for Imperialism, and the "benefits" that come out of this manuever are too few to compensate for the immense difficulty that incorporating these areas into a fully functioning, efficient state will be.

Senator Nation,

I meant they would be useful in cases of future dissent in Haiti as a good base from which to stipulate an attack.

I am thinking in the long term as well, Senator Kennedy, and don't believe we need bother ourselves with making Puerto Rico a state.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2004, 05:30:41 PM »

having a firm foothoold in the Caribbean will be a boon in future years.  mark my words.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »

Senator Nation,

I am thinking in the long term as well, Senator Kennedy, and don't believe we need bother ourselves with making Puerto Rico a state.

Well, as I see it, it could only be useful, not only does it give us a firm base of power in the Caribbean, but it provides an extra source on income to the government from taxation.

I think we should hear from representatives of the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Navassa Island, if they support the initiative, full steam ahead I say!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2004, 08:22:57 PM »

should we go ahead and vote on this?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2004, 08:31:49 PM »

I say we give the Caribbean a consulting delegate in the Senate, but no Statehood or Senator. Maybe they could vote for President, but that is all.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2004, 10:28:32 PM »

No one has mentioned the fact that the vast majority of Puerto Rico is a Spanish-speaking state, which would clash with the rest of America.

some implications: what this would mean in practice is that a resident of America's 50 other states who finds himself on trial in the state of Puerto Rico could be expected to defend himself in a foreign tongue. The relatively few who speak fluent Spanish may not object, but the vast majority of mainland U.S. citizens may find this an unnecessary difficulty

A New Yorker arrested for a federal crime in New Hampshire can feel free to defend himself with the help of an attorney based in New York, New Hampshire or any other state. But if Puerto Rico attains statehood, yet is allowed to run its courts in Spanish, only a foolhardy man would not hire a bilingual attorney to defend him in a Puerto Rican courtroom.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2004, 10:38:52 PM »

No one has mentioned the fact that the vast majority of Puerto Rico is a Spanish-speaking state, which would clash with the rest of America.

some implications: what this would mean in practice is that a resident of America's 50 other states who finds himself on trial in the state of Puerto Rico could be expected to defend himself in a foreign tongue. The relatively few who speak fluent Spanish may not object, but the vast majority of mainland U.S. citizens may find this an unnecessary difficulty

A New Yorker arrested for a federal crime in New Hampshire can feel free to defend himself with the help of an attorney based in New York, New Hampshire or any other state. But if Puerto Rico attains statehood, yet is allowed to run its courts in Spanish, only a foolhardy man would not hire a bilingual attorney to defend him in a Puerto Rican courtroom.

their courts can be required to be in English; in fact, I believe a governor of PR made English the official language, much to the chagrin of the populace
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 01:05:39 AM »

Not quite. From 1902 to 1991 both English and Spanish were official languages of Puerto Rico.  In 1991, under a pro-commonwealth Popular Democratic (PPD) government, Spanish was made the only official language, but in 1993, under a pro-statehood New Progressive (PNP) government, English was restored to official status. The PPD currently controls the government but has not tried to return to Spanish-only.  The Puerto Rican Independence (PIP) nas only one represenative and one senator in the commonwealth's legislature.  The Democratic and Republican parties are also active in Puerto Rico, but they hold no offices in Puerto Rico..
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 05:48:50 AM »

Nation, do not forget this is not technically the USA.

Also Harry, I will wait to hear from a delegation from Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Navassa Island before calling a vote.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2004, 02:32:40 PM »

Also Harry, I will wait to hear from a delegation from Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Navassa Island before calling a vote.

Excellent idea, Senator Kennedy. Until we have a representative from any one of these islands, we should not have a vote, and I encourage all Senators to not support any motion to vote before then.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2004, 02:36:33 PM »

Excellent idea, Senator Kennedy. Until we have a representative from any one of these islands, we should not have a vote, and I encourage all Senators to not support any motion to vote before then.

That's utterly horrendous logic!  We don't have anyone from Montana or Alaska or North Dakota, and do we just ignore those areas?  No!  of course not!  We put them in districts and regions and have it set up so that as soon as we do get a poster from those areas we're ready for them!
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2004, 02:41:17 PM »

Atlasia is based off the United States system, whether you think so or not. Foreign posters register with a certain state. These islands are not a part of the United States, thus any member who happens to be from these territories will have to do so anyway.

I would vote yes on any bill which requires voters from these territories to register with a state in the southeast region. It's essentially the same thing, without all the troubles of statehood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2004, 02:44:31 PM »

Atlasia is based off the United States system, whether you think so or not. Foreign posters register with a certain state. These islands are not a part of the United States, thus any member who happens to be from these territories will have to do so anyway.

I would vote yes on any bill which requires voters from these territories to register with a state in the southeast region. It's essentially the same thing, without all the troubles of statehood.
these island ARE in fact part of the United States, actually
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2004, 02:46:18 PM »

these island ARE in fact part of the United States, actually

To rephrase what Nation was saying with his intention, those islands are not one of the United States of America.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 02:50:36 PM »

Correct, my mistake, but my point was that they don't have to pay taxes, things like that. Most don't speak English, and until we have a representative from these territories, it is foolish to grant statehood.

Your comparison to Montana doesn't work because Montana is already a state, has a better probability of getting a registered voter in the forum, and speaks English.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 03:14:57 PM »

Currently, Puerto Rico has a population of 3,858,806, which is more than Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, North Dakota, and Delaware put together.  And no one in fantasy elections are registered in those areas.  But by no means would anyone ever say, "Let's not let WY, MT, AK, ND, or DE be states.  When someone registers from those states, we'll hear their opinions and then decide."  Of course not, we allow them to be states, and when a person joins from one of those areas, they have a state they can be a part of.  Why should Puerto Rico be any different?  Why should Puerto Rico not be part of a region or a district?  Why should Puerto Rico not get representation in the Senate, or a vote for president?  Why should Puerto Ricans not have to pay income tax?  These questions have NO legitimate answers, and this horrible situtation the area is in can only be allievated in one way:  statehood.  And as a boon, the more affulent but similarly unrepresented and untaxed Virgin Islands can join nearby Puerto Rico in this new state.  And the uninhabited Navassa Island can also become a part of this great state of Puerto Rico as a testament that we're holding on to this island--that Cuba or any other hostile Carribean power will be closely monitored.  Yes, it is the solution to a large quandry, a large injustice.  I urge ALL senators to vote yes on this evening out of rights denied, in making our brothers in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands equal with these rest of us great citizens of the World's Greatest Nation--Atlasia.
With that, I ask our esteemed PPT to put this bill to a vote.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2004, 04:48:18 PM »

I request that before this measure be put to a vote, we have at least one other Senator besides Mr. Harry that second his motion to vote on the Caribbean Statehood Act.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2004, 04:50:05 PM »

I request that before this measure be put to a vote, we have at least one other Senator besides Mr. Harry that second his motion to vote on the Caribbean Statehood Act.

I second this motion.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2004, 05:05:11 PM »

I second this motion.

Thank you. I'll contact Senator Kennedy in order to have a vote as soon as possible.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2004, 05:18:34 PM »

Well, although I'd rather wait to hear from a representative of these islands.

Please vote on the Caribbean Statehood Act proposed by Sen. Harry

Vote Yea or Nay.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2004, 05:20:43 PM »

I vote NO on the passage of the Caribbean Statehood Act.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2004, 05:48:02 PM »

Yes
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2004, 06:35:44 PM »