The Caribbean Statehood Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:16:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Caribbean Statehood Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Caribbean Statehood Act  (Read 9048 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: July 19, 2004, 03:09:59 PM »

This is just to give the Southeast more power...

How does it give it more power?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 03:26:27 PM »

I will open the debating upon this bill.

Would all Senators who wish to please make a statement.

I would like to hear one from the hon. Senator Harry who proposed this.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 05:58:30 AM »

Could I make a request that those who are not Senators please not debate in the Senatorial debating thread. I don't think it happens in the real life Senate although people may be allowed to watch from a public viewing gallery like in the UK, I am not quite sure.

If anybody who isn't a Senator wishes to debate the issues would it be possible to have it in a separate thread?

What do you think? I just think it might be a little better as normally people don't walk into the Senate and stand up and speak on a bill.

I'd like to hear other Senators opinions on this.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 06:24:29 AM »

Anyway, as I see it ladies and gentlemen, we are presented with three possible options for the case of Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Navassa Island. Those are:

1. Grant full statehood to the islands and integrate them fully into the United States of Atlasia, this would mean representation and also mean they pay taxation towards our federal government as I believe that territories currently do not.

2. Keep the status quo with the islands as Atlasian territories and thus are not represented and do not pay taxes to our federal government.

3. Allow them to become separate independent nations who would assumedly continue to be allies to Atlasia.

Those are our only three possibilities in dealing with Puerto Ricp, the US Virgin Islands and Navassa Island as I see it, just like the hon. Senator Hughento views it.

This Act proposed by the hon. Senator Harry obviously goes down track one with full integration into the United States of Atlasia.

So, what are the pluses of each option.

As I see it, the advantage of the first option which the Hon. Senator Harry suggests we go down has a few benefits. Firstly it provides a good strong base of action in the Caribbean Sea close to the West Indies and reasonably close to Cuba.

Having a state in that area could be useful in controlling problems which have arisen in that area, especially in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

It would also aid if we were to ever mount an attack against Fidel Castro in Cuba as it would allow us a good base for operation not only to the North but out to the East.

Allowing them to enter the Union would also provide a new source of income as they would then be paying taxation.

It would also be beneficial for them as it could create a great source of new jobs flooding there and really bolster the economy of the islands.

Those are really the key reasons I can see for allowing these islands to enter the Union.

Now, if we were to take track two I cannot see the benefits to us mainly because we are already experiencing that. The main reason for choosing track two would be if you feel that the status quo is fine and dandy so to speak.

Now, track three. What could this provide?

As I see it, it would give us some new minor trading partners although they would probably not have much of an effect, about the same as that of the Federated States of Micronesia.

Another benefit track three could give us would be new voices in the United Nations Organization, I believe none of these islands are currently represented, however, if they were independent states they could join which would give us some more support there and could be beneficial in gaining things from the UN.

So really those are the key arguments for integration, against integration and for separation as I see it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 02:17:20 PM »

Indepedence would not be a good option, but they would simply be totally dependent on us like the Marshall Islands and the FSMicronesia.  The status quo is bad because they mooch off us without returning anything really.
So statehood is their best option.  It will help us, it will help them.  They owe it to us, we owe it to them.
Additionally, though Navassa Island is not very inhabited, having it part of the state would certainly give us a mandate to have and military activity on the island, which is not far from Cuba.
I urge all Senators to vote yes on this act.

But it could provide more support in the UN if it is independent which may help in close resolutions.

I am inclined to agree with you however.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 03:44:36 PM »

Having a state in that area could be useful in controlling problems which have arisen in that area, especially in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

It would also aid if we were to ever mount an attack against Fidel Castro in Cuba as it would allow us a good base for operation not only to the North but out to the East.

The last time I checked, we were already committing our military in other parts of the world which are currently in much more dire straits than Haiti is, and are much more of a threat. We all know Senator Harry's love for Imperialism, and the "benefits" that come out of this manuever are too few to compensate for the immense difficulty that incorporating these areas into a fully functioning, efficient state will be.

Senator Nation,

I meant they would be useful in cases of future dissent in Haiti as a good base from which to stipulate an attack.

I am more thinking in the long term than in the short term here.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »

The last time I checked, we were already committing our military in other parts of the world which are currently in much more dire straits than Haiti is, and are much more of a threat. We all know Senator Harry's love for Imperialism, and the "benefits" that come out of this manuever are too few to compensate for the immense difficulty that incorporating these areas into a fully functioning, efficient state will be.

Senator Nation,

I meant they would be useful in cases of future dissent in Haiti as a good base from which to stipulate an attack.

I am more thinking in the long term than in the short term here.

I am thinking in the long term as well, Senator Kennedy, and don't believe we need bother ourselves with making Puerto Rico a state.

Well, as I see it, it could only be useful, not only does it give us a firm base of power in the Caribbean, but it provides an extra source on income to the government from taxation.

I think we should hear from representatives of the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Navassa Island, if they support the initiative, full steam ahead I say!
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 05:48:50 AM »

Nation, do not forget this is not technically the USA.

Also Harry, I will wait to hear from a delegation from Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Navassa Island before calling a vote.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 02:46:18 PM »

Atlasia is based off the United States system, whether you think so or not. Foreign posters register with a certain state. These islands are not a part of the United States, thus any member who happens to be from these territories will have to do so anyway.

I would vote yes on any bill which requires voters from these territories to register with a state in the southeast region. It's essentially the same thing, without all the troubles of statehood.
these island ARE in fact part of the United States, actually

To rephrase what Nation was saying with his intention, those islands are not one of the United States of America.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 05:18:34 PM »

Well, although I'd rather wait to hear from a representative of these islands.

Please vote on the Caribbean Statehood Act proposed by Sen. Harry

Vote Yea or Nay.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 05:13:26 PM »

I am rather torn on this issue, I was hoping to hear from somebody from the island chains regarding public support for statehood and as I do not have it I cannot rightly choose a side I feel so I have decided that I shall abstain on voting on this Act until further notice.

Please would all Senators yet to vote, vote soon.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 05:24:34 PM »

Currently the voting on this Act stands as follows:

2 Yeas, 4 Nays and an abstention.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 08:33:14 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2004, 09:27:16 AM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

Puerto Rican Governor Unhappy Over Carribbean Act
(Routers) San Juan, PR
Governor Sila Calderon (PPD) called on the Atlasian Senate to reject the Caribbean Statehood Act and for President Gustaf to veto it if they should pass it.  "This bill is slap in the face of the People of Puerto Rico.  Three times those in favor of statehood have lost referendums and now the pro-Statehood forces appear to seek to win the debate by the simple expedient of not asking the People of Puerto Rico whether they desire statehood or not."
Pedro Rosello, head of the pro-statehood New Progressive Party (PNP) echoed the governor's comments.  "While we favor statehood, we would prefer a referendum so that the legitmacy of our accession to the Union would be unquestioned.  We also see no need to include the Virgin Islands in our great State.  While we wish the Virgin Islands no ill will, they simply are not part of Puerto Rico."

That disagrees with you on their willingness Harry.

I declare the motion to have been defeated by five votes to two with one abstention and two no-shows (Boss Tweed and Michael Z).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies