Gay Marriage: sixteen states' different takes.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:02:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage: sixteen states' different takes.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage: sixteen states' different takes.  (Read 3268 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 12:05:03 PM »

New York is going to be the first state to pass gay marriages and have the bill signed.

It passed the House today, and will probably pass the Senate sometime in the next term or two. Governor Sptizer also openly supports gay marriage.

The New York State Senate is Republican-controlled. Are they seriously going to pass a gay marriage bill?

No, that's why I said it will probably happen in the next term or two when the Democrats take the State Senate.

It will certainly happen in the next 4-8 years.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »

Massachusetts is a clear case that once a place legalizes SSM, the people will eventually support it. I am guessing that when it was first legalized, most opposed it- or at least it was closer. Same thing here. Peoples' opinions have dramatically shifted since before and after legalizing SSM. Once people realize how harmless it really is, they accept it.

Indeed you'd be correct.

In fact, I'd argue that the surge in support is totally a consequence of gay marriage becoming "cool," and enticing soccer moms by the truckload to embrace a new gay lifestyle choice and get one of those "gay marriages" they keep hearing about on Oprah.

The thing is, DWTL could have posted this seriously.

I would because the main reason for support of gay marriage stems from fear of being labeled homophobic and wanting to fit in

And if so few people support gay marraige because they think it's a good idea, who is everyone else trying to "fit in" with?

The number of support is probably something like 30%, and those people do a good job of convincing others they will labeled as homophobic for not supporting it.  It reminds me of a Family Guy quote, "Anyone who doesn't want to go to war is gay!"

If by "homophobia" you mean people who are afraid of gays, then yes, this particular gay marriage supporter believes a majority of those opposed to gay marriage do so because of a(n) (irrational) fear of gays and the (non) consequences of gay marriage.

They seem to firmly believe (ridiculously) that their own marriage will somehow be threatened by gay marriage, that the divorce rate will increase (though gay marriage has ironically sent the divorce rate in MA sharply lower), or will cause their four-year-old son Timmy to come out of the closet because he saw two men kissing once on the TeeVee.  (Yuh huh.)

Most people support gay marriage because (1) they have a gay/lesbian family member, friend, or co-worker, (2) its the right thing to do from a civil rights stand point, and (3) there are absolutely no perceived negative consquences for most sane, logical people in allowing gays to marry (save, perhaps, for an overpowering fear of the wrath of God).

Applause.
DuEbrithil
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 04:36:06 PM »

Massachusetts is a clear case that once a place legalizes SSM, the people will eventually support it. I am guessing that when it was first legalized, most opposed it- or at least it was closer. Same thing here. Peoples' opinions have dramatically shifted since before and after legalizing SSM. Once people realize how harmless it really is, they accept it.

Indeed you'd be correct.

In fact, I'd argue that the surge in support is totally a consequence of gay marriage becoming "cool," and enticing soccer moms by the truckload to embrace a new gay lifestyle choice and get one of those "gay marriages" they keep hearing about on Oprah.

The thing is, DWTL could have posted this seriously.

I would because the main reason for support of gay marriage stems from fear of being labeled homophobic and wanting to fit in
no, thats not it at all. It should be passed because it is the right thing to do.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »

As opposed to the fear of being labeled a homosexual by some people on the right?  There's a flipside to everything.

I personally couldn't care less if no one but me supported it.  I support gay marriage because it's the right thing to do, and it's a shame that people are denied a chance for equality, not because it's "cool."

Which, by the way, it still isn't.
DuEbrithil
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »

As opposed to the fear of being labeled a homosexual by some people on the right?  There's a flipside to everything.

I personally couldn't care less if no one but me supported it.  I support gay marriage because it's the right thing to do, and it's a shame that people are denied a chance for equality, not because it's "cool."

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 03:13:01 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 04:20:42 AM »

pWn3d.

Yeah, gay marriage is reaaaalll cool.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies