Portuguese speakers in Massachusetts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:11:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Portuguese speakers in Massachusetts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Portuguese speakers in Massachusetts?  (Read 2733 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:46:32 PM »

I type up business forms at my work, I had to do one for a place in Fall River, MA. I noticed they had two phone lines, one labeled English, the other Portuguese.

Upon looking it up, it appears Fall River is almost half ethnically Portuguese. It also has a fairly large foreign born population, almost 20%, but the vast majority of these are from Europe, not Latin America. So the Portuguese speakers aren't Brazilian.

So are there actually places in Massachusetts where people still speak Portuguese and is still have immigration from Portugal?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »

Many are from Cape Verde, I know someone who is working as an interpreter in the public schools in Boston. There is a very sizable portuguese speaking population in Mass.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »

I type up business forms at my work, I had to do one for a place in Fall River, MA. I noticed they had two phone lines, one labeled English, the other Portuguese.

Upon looking it up, it appears Fall River is almost half ethnically Portuguese. It also has a fairly large foreign born population, almost 20%, but the vast majority of these are from Europe, not Latin America. So the Portuguese speakers aren't Brazilian.

So are there actually places in Massachusetts where people still speak Portuguese and is still have immigration from Portugal?

It's not folks from Portugal -- it's folks from Brazil, specifically.  Off the top of my head, (South) Framingham, (East) Somerville, and (East) Cambridge all have sizable Brazilian areas, complete with Brazilian groceries, Brazilian restaurants, Brazilian bakeries, and Brazilian clothing stores.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 04:42:06 AM »

No, it's mostly folks from Portugal (and the Acores, IIRC.) It's even larger percentage-wise in Rhode Island.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:02:23 AM »

Of course. Areas in the southern part of the state (eg, New Bedford and thereabouts) have been areas of Portuguese settlement for ages now. I am not sure, how much of new immigration from Portugal is occuring (though, why not? - Portugal still has some of the poorest parts of the "old" EU, and  there is a lot of migration to Spain, for instance), but links are still very close.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:13 AM »

I type up business forms at my work, I had to do one for a place in Fall So are there actually places in Massachusetts where people still speak Portuguese and is still have immigration from Portugal?

The whole southeastern section of Massachusetts (New Bedford, Fall River, Somerset, etc.) is very Portugese. I have some relatives in this area. Most of the people speak English and live normal American lives, but are of Portugese ancestry.

My grandmother is 100% Portugese (Azores Islands to be exact) and she moved to Massachusetts when she was a baby.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »

According to the Census site, 34.6% of residents in Fall River speak a language other than English as their primary language.

I'm still surprised that Portuguese Americans (as opposed to Brazilian immigrants) would still use that as their primary language. I figured they would've integrated a few generations ago.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »

Ludlow and Milford are also heavy Portuguese towns in MA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies