What makes Thompson such a strong candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:33:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What makes Thompson such a strong candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What makes Thompson such a strong candidate?  (Read 1386 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »

He's a pro-war southern conservative who's closely aligned with Bush. Yeah, that's EXACTLY what the GOP needs to retain the White House. What's so great about him?

(Note to those who have difficult of reading: The question is "What makes Thompson such a strong candidate?" not "What makes Hillary a weak candidate?")
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »

People remember what happened when they elected an actor last time?

Essentially he's a decent media performer, with a profile. Despite six years in the Senate he hasn't got too much of a political record to defend, which in the Rep. primary, is a good thing.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 04:34:08 PM »

On all the interviews I've seen he seems..... slow.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »

He's got a whole bunch of ex-girlfriends who have publicly endorsed him!  And if that doesn't make him a strong candidate, I don't know what does.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1977478.ece

Uh, apart from that, I don't really know.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:21:51 PM »

It's kind of like getting contaminated water in the desert, you really don't care what is in there as long as it is something.  His greatest asset is Rudy McRomney
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:14:43 PM »

Nothing. Basset hound face gets crushed in a general election when voters realize that he doesn't understand the issues and that he is extremely lazy.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »

I don't see how he can even win the nomination. I mean, he'll be at least 40 million behind the leaders of the pack. And you have to assume that the image is always greater then the man. I doubt when Thompson really begins to campaign, he''ll win many people over. If your not with him yet, I doubt you'll ever be with him, because this is really the peak of his hype. As it is, I only really think he can go downhill. Who knows though, maybe I'm missing something.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 11:27:29 PM »

Nothing. Basset hound face gets crushed in a general election when voters realize that he doesn't understand the issues and that he is extremely lazy.
Do you agree with me that he looks sickly and unelectable, according to his actual physical appearance?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »

Do you agree with me that he looks sickly and unelectable, according to his actual physical appearance?

He doesn't look sickly, he looks kind of scary, which certainly isn't a positive. It makes it difficult for him to appear optimistic or open to change simply because his natural face is rather aggressive. Is that bad? Well, I can't think of a President with a similar set jaw; it reminds me of Cheney more than anyone else, and that's certainly not a good subconscious connection.

Of course, how much that would actually affect an election is a whole different issue. I doubt it would have much, if any, impact, but you never know.
poughies
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:47:30 PM »

I'm thinking Fred Picker. Squasi unknown, but political past. Has experience.

Once the ghosts come out it might be the end...... Though I'm one who thought for a while that Romney wouldn't get off the ground.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 03:46:01 AM »

I'm thinking Fred Picker. Squasi unknown, but political past. Has experience.

Once the ghosts come out it might be the end...... Though I'm one who thought for a while that Romney wouldn't get off the ground.

Fred Picker, eh?  Are you suggesting that Thompson is a corrupt former coke fiend and a closet homosexual?  Wink
skybridge
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 05:02:52 AM »

Nothing.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:39 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »

He isn't a strong candidate, not really. It's just that all the other candidates aren't exactly what you'd call "strong" either.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »

Thompson is the dream candidate because he hasn't actually entered the race in earnest.  His hypothetical candidacy represents more of an ideal than anything tangible; once voters realize that the man has faults just like any other, his numbers will fall to exactly where they belong.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

Thompson is the dream candidate because he hasn't actually entered the race in earnest.  His hypothetical candidacy represents more of an ideal than anything tangible; once voters realize that the man has faults just like any other, his numbers will fall to exactly where they belong.

^^^^^

Of course, I don't deny that his numbers could go up when his faults are recognized, but I consider that an extremely remote possibility, especially of what I've seen of him on TV so far.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies