New Iowa results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:01:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  New Iowa results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Iowa results  (Read 5733 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2003, 03:50:37 PM »

http://www.surveyusa.com/2003_Elections/IA031121demcaucus.pdf

Dean has a mega-lead according to this poll, but he does not have the state for sure. For starters, the second poll results, where Dean has only a five point lead and 6% undecided, are probably more relaible. And of course it's a caucus, so a lot could not be decided for sure until election night.

Still, Dean's history has been gain, gain, gain, without slowing down yet, and he has another month and a half. Dean is popular among dem caucus voters for being a bush basher, and bashing Dean for bashing Bush is likely to be a poor strategy.

My bet? Yeah, it'll be Dean alright. He's already clinched NH. On Feb 3, he'll win all the states except maybe SC, and then sweep to nomination.

If he loses Iowa, he'll still probably be nominated, but it becomes a lot less certain. The anti-Dean'll have to rally to an unlikely leader- Gephardt, Clark, or Edwards- if they want the nomination. But even this scenario only works if Dean loses Iowa. short of that, he clinches the nomination in mid January.

Only Lieberman would have a chance at the general election, and he'll never be nominated. He's too decent- hell, I like him, and I'm a Republican! Reminds a lot of us of Scoop Jackson. Gephardt, Edwards, and maybe Clark would lose respectably. Howard Dean is a leader of lemmings, and he will lead his party staright over a cliff. I'm talking Bush winning 45+ states, GOP net gain of 4-7 seats in the Senate, maybe as many as 20+ in the House.

Hillary would watch such a situation with dismay, as she needs a party that is only slightly losing to lead to triumph in '08. The part, with many of its moderates knocked out (the vulnerables in congress are in conservative and split states) may move further to the left. At the same time, the Greens may be about to nab city hall in Frisco, and Evan Bayh, Zell Miller, John Breaux, and others will grow increasingly uncomfortable with their party's stances.

What we may see in the next decade is a complete reordering of American politics. By the time the dust settles, you may not recognize the Dem party- it may have a new name, or have been dissolved and replaced completely. Even stranger things could be around the bend.

What's really weird is that I think several socially liberal issues are nationally popular right now. But the Dem campaign is like Dewey in '44 saying, "We are not at war with Germany. Only Japan attacked us. Hitler is evil, but it's not really our problem, is it? The President has no exit strategy from Europe. When will our troops be pulled from Germany? Why do we need to build democracy there? What did Hitler ever do to us anyway? I will act as if we are not even at war, and bring back the glory days of peace and prosperity under Herbert Hoover."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 10:53:25 AM »

I'm going to refrain from saying any more than this:

Do you know what "wishfull thinking" means?
M

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 01:19:57 PM »

Sure. Thinking Raegan would fail to be reelected. I find it quite humorous.
Demrepdan

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 04:47:37 PM »

Sure. Thinking Raegan would fail to be reelected. I find it quite humorous.
Raegan was never re-elected.......but I think Reagan was. Grin
JNB

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 05:23:20 PM »

Socially liberal issues are only popular in some states, and the states where socially liberal issues are popular allready are very solidly Democratic. In the Northeastren Corridor states of MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA and VT, the Democrats allready have 15 of 16 senate seats. Other states in the corridor I have not listed, such as PA, NH and ME have other factors such as NH having a Libertarian lean and ME and PA having far fewer demographic changes than surrounding states. In the West Coast, the Democrats have 5 of 6 senate seats. So in these states that make up the liberal core, the Dems have a toltal of 20 of 22 senate seats.

The rest of the nation except for possibly the Chicago area is far more conservative on social issues.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 03:10:14 PM »

Socially liberal issues are only popular in some states, and the states where socially liberal issues are popular allready are very solidly Democratic. In the Northeastren Corridor states of MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA and VT, the Democrats allready have 15 of 16 senate seats. Other states in the corridor I have not listed, such as PA, NH and ME have other factors such as NH having a Libertarian lean and ME and PA having far fewer demographic changes than surrounding states. In the West Coast, the Democrats have 5 of 6 senate seats. So in these states that make up the liberal core, the Dems have a toltal of 20 of 22 senate seats.

The rest of the nation except for possibly the Chicago area is far more conservative on social issues.

I agree with your post except for the last sentence. I would not divide according to states but urban-rural-suburban. Parts of interior California are as conservative as Texas and many inner-city areas (of even Texas like Austin) are as liberal as San Francisco.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies