Roy Moore 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:37:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Roy Moore 2004
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Roy Moore 2004  (Read 29728 times)
NHPolitico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2004, 12:00:48 PM »

A sop to Moore from Richard Shelby who is sponsoring a bill written by Moore's lead counsel...

A recent press conference was held in Prattville, Alabama when former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, Rep. Robert Aderholt, Sen. Shelby, Sen. Brownback, and Ambassador Alan Keyes formally announced the introduction of S.2082 (A bill to limit the jurisdiction of Federal courts in certain cases and promote federalism or "Constitution Restoration Act of 2004") to the media. Also in attendance were conservative luminaries such as Phyllis Schlafly and Howard Phillips. The bill was drafted by a star-studded legal team including Chief Justice Moore's lead counsel, Herb Titus.

Co-sponsoring the bill in the Senate: Allard, Brownback,  Graham, Inhofe, Miller

There is a companion House bill.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2004, 09:38:30 AM »

From Politics1:

"MOORE ACTING MORE LIKE A CANDIDATE. Ousted Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore (R) -- the "Ten Commandments Judge" -- is starting to act more and more like a third party Presidential candidate. For a guy who isn't running for President "right now" (to quote his spokesperson), he's sure starting to act like a candidate. Moore is speaking at Constitution Party events in Oregon and Montana this month, according to the party's website. With President Bush currently trailing both Kerry and Edwards for re-elction by double-digits -- according to the latest CNN poll -- that last thing he wants in November is a "Ralph Nader of the Right" draining Christian conservative votes from his essential base."

----

RUN ROY RUN!!!! RUN ROY RUN!!!!!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2004, 03:34:39 PM »

From Politics1:

"MOORE ACTING MORE LIKE A CANDIDATE. Ousted Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore (R) -- the "Ten Commandments Judge" -- is starting to act more and more like a third party Presidential candidate. For a guy who isn't running for President "right now" (to quote his spokesperson), he's sure starting to act like a candidate. Moore is speaking at Constitution Party events in Oregon and Montana this month, according to the party's website. With President Bush currently trailing both Kerry and Edwards for re-elction by double-digits -- according to the latest CNN poll -- that last thing he wants in November is a "Ralph Nader of the Right" draining Christian conservative votes from his essential base."

----

RUN ROY RUN!!!! RUN ROY RUN!!!!!

The 1992 feeling constantly increasing... Cheesy
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »

I liked Moore during his whole Ten Commandments battle.  I still like him for that.

But if he runs for president as a third party, I won't support him.

I think he could potentially be as strong a third party candidate as Nader--clearly unable to win the election, but able to pull just enough votes to tilt the election to one side or the other.  He could hurt Bush.

But here's a fun question:  What if BOTH Moore AND Nader run?  Nader will pull votes from the Dems, while Roy will pull votes from the Reps.  They could equal each other out.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2004, 04:24:24 PM »

I liked Moore during his whole Ten Commandments battle.  I still like him for that.

But if he runs for president as a third party, I won't support him.

I think he could potentially be as strong a third party candidate as Nader--clearly unable to win the election, but able to pull just enough votes to tilt the election to one side or the other.  He could hurt Bush.

But here's a fun question:  What if BOTH Moore AND Nader run?  Nader will pull votes from the Dems, while Roy will pull votes from the Reps.  They could equal each other out.

Hard to tell. It would depend on battleground states. If you look at 2000, it appears that Nader got relatively little support in close states (FL being the obvious exception). If they get an equal national vote share, Moore will hurt more since his vote will be more concentrated.

Nader's best states in 2000:

1. Alaska

2. Vermont

3. Massachusetts

4. Rhode Island

5. Montana

6. Hawaii

7. Maine

See what I mean? Smiley

In 1948, Strom Thurmond got 2.41% of the vote and won 4 states for 7.34% of the EVs, whereas Henry Wallace got 2.37% of the vote and won no EVs. Wallace's best state was New York where he got 8.25%, Thurmond'd best state was Mississippi where he got 87.17% of the vote...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2004, 04:29:36 PM »

87%?Huh? surely you mean like 8.7....
dunn

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2004, 04:31:39 PM »

87, you cant win with 8.7, thtumond won the state
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2004, 04:33:16 PM »

oh, ok, i got confused, didn't realise you were talking about Thurmond winning a state lol
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2004, 06:54:19 PM »

Moore would only need to poll around 15% in the Southern states to make all of them tossups.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2004, 06:55:27 PM »

Moore would only need to poll around 15% in the Southern states to make all of them tossups.
He would do that in the deep south, maybe poll 5-10% amond the other southern states.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2004, 07:03:19 PM »

He would do that in the deep south, maybe poll 5-10% amond the other southern states.

Still enough, considering that Bush had more than 20% in TX and OK only.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2004, 07:12:50 PM »

Still enough, considering that Bush had more than 20% in TX and OK only.
Yep!  run ROY run!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2004, 03:35:27 AM »

I think you can look back at Perot's vote percentages in states to discover how many foolish Republicans those states contain - the same people who would be likely to vote for this Moore.   Though I think Moore would get a lot less.

dunn

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2004, 03:38:15 AM »

I think you can look back at Perot's vote percentages in states to discover how many foolish Republicans those states contain - the same people who would be likely to vote for this Moore.   Though I think Moore would get a lot less.

perot attracted ind and some dem along rep. Moore is way mor right wing
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2004, 03:41:30 AM »

Perot was very weak in the South, and his campaigns were a hell of a lot more centrist than any Moore campaign could possibly be. In 1996, the vast majority of Perot voters would have preferred Dole to Clinton, but in 1992 they would have broken roughly equal in a Preferential Voting system. So it's not a valid comparison. Much wiser to look at the 2000 percentages of Buchanan, the Constitution party, the Libertarians, and add a premium in Alabama and Mississippi. In other words, Moore too won't do much damage.
But even a little damage can be decisive. It's possible he'll technically cost Bush Florida, or West Virginia, or Missouri, and thus the election, even though he's got less than 2% in that state.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2004, 05:41:57 AM »

Perot was very weak in the South, and his campaigns were a hell of a lot more centrist than any Moore campaign could possibly be. In 1996, the vast majority of Perot voters would have preferred Dole to Clinton, but in 1992 they would have broken roughly equal in a Preferential Voting system. So it's not a valid comparison. Much wiser to look at the 2000 percentages of Buchanan, the Constitution party, the Libertarians, and add a premium in Alabama and Mississippi. In other words, Moore too won't do much damage.
But even a little damage can be decisive. It's possible he'll technically cost Bush Florida, or West Virginia, or Missouri, and thus the election, even though he's got less than 2% in that state.

Nader cost Gore Florida with 1.63% of the vote...we'll have to wait and see, but I don't think Perot is comparable to Moore in any way. Moore should rather be compared to Wallace or Thurmond than Perot. Perot looks more like a progressive, electorally that is.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2004, 05:46:03 AM »

Moore might be able to poll well in Alabama and Mississippi (though I doubt that he'd win either state) and O.K in a few other Southern States... but I don't see him polling a higher % than Perot in '96
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2004, 07:51:15 AM »

Moore might be able to poll well in Alabama and Mississippi (though I doubt that he'd win either state) and O.K in a few other Southern States... but I don't see him polling a higher % than Perot in '96

Perot might not have been conservative enough for the Southerners...also he wasn't on home turf there. And people view the South as safely Republican, so they would be more prepared to vote 3rd party there. I definitely think Moore could do better than Perot in the South, though of course much, much worse everywhere else.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2004, 08:44:32 AM »

In recent history SOutherners have been rather reluctant to vote third party. Perot scored worst there, so did Nader, so did Anderson.
Seems they lost interest in voting third parties after 1968...Or maybe it's because voting patterns are now so strongly determined by race.
Doesn't bode well for a third party candidate who's logical base in SOuthern. Let me once more remind you of what happened to Buchanan.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2004, 10:56:37 AM »

In recent history SOutherners have been rather reluctant to vote third party. Perot scored worst there, so did Nader, so did Anderson.
Seems they lost interest in voting third parties after 1968...Or maybe it's because voting patterns are now so strongly determined by race.
Doesn't bode well for a third party candidate who's logical base in SOuthern. Let me once more remind you of what happened to Buchanan.

That's just b/c there have been no, or at least very few, Southern 3rd party runs since back then, there wasn't much need for it, basically. None of the 3rd party candidates since 1968 have been conservative southerners. Buchanan messed up, I'm not sure whether he should be viewed seriously. He didn't run strongly anywhere.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2004, 10:58:17 AM »

http://www.freewebs.com/draftmoore04
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2004, 11:00:30 AM »

patriotic colours man and a logo, give it a real format, look at the dem and rep candidates webpages.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2004, 11:01:11 AM »

patriotic colours man and a logo, give it a real format, look at the dem and rep candidates webpages.
You want to make the logo?  Give me your e-mail adress, I'll mail you the password.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2004, 11:03:17 AM »

i will make a logo and mail it to you so you can stick it there if you get me a pic of the guy.....
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »

plus needs to just be www.draftmoore04.com otherwise people won't find it.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies