The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:36:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 171439 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: March 16, 2009, 07:55:19 PM »

whoa people need to cool down.

DWTL,
What will you do since you lost PPT race?

Yeah, DC you need to stop posting like an imbecile. There are still two votes to be cast.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #726 on: March 16, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »

whoa people need to cool down.

DWTL,
What will you do since you lost PPT race?

Go away. You are an idiot and have no business posting here.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #727 on: March 16, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »

HappyWarrior Declares: No Senate Better Than DWTL Senate

In a move further showing he may not grasp exactly what the position of PPT is all about, "anti-DWTL" candidate HappyWarrior defended his decision to back Al in the last PPT election stating:

I feel it was right.  Al may have been ineffective but thats better than being a partisan such as yourself.

Sen. DWTL was asked for comment to which he stated, "It is clear that my opponent is more bent on seeing myself not become PPT than he is on having an effectively run senate."  Two votes remain in the PPT race, one a DWTL lock the other a DWTL leaner.  VP Meeker has stated he will support whichever candidate he feels like do the best job of running the senate, something that is becoming clearer by the minute.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #728 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »

^^^

I would have to recommend not writing articles about your own problems. You come off as kinda, sorta ridiculous and only worsen your chances at actually getting the PPT position.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #729 on: March 16, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »

^^^

I would have to recommend not writing articles about your own problems. You come off as kinda, sorta ridiculous and only worsen your chances at actually getting the PPT position.
I think its important that people see just how much HW does not understand what the job entails.  The thing that is making so angry about this whole is that we elected a PPT last time with limited commitment and the senate died.  The same thing is repeating itself and no one sees it
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #730 on: March 16, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »

^^^

I think its important that people see just how much HW does not understand what the job entails.  The thing that is making so angry about this whole is that we elected a PPT last time with limited commitment and the senate died.  The same thing is repeating itself and no one sees it
DWTL you're problem is that you just see everything as you want to, not as they are.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #731 on: March 16, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »

^^^

DWTL you're problem is that you just see everything as you want to, not as they are.
You seem to have this problem, not myself.  You are the one unwilling to admit your shortcomings.  You are the one running solely to stop someone from winning.  I truly want to be the PPT and win and it is only fair to the people to see that you truly do not grasp what being the PPT entails or that Al did a horrible job at it.  Hell, even Al admitted that he was a bad PPT, yet you refuse to admit that you were wrong to not support me when I pledged to give the time committment that Al could not.  Is one to assume that you would do exactly what Al did as PPT?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #732 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »

^^^

Understood, but you are only hurting your case with such public acts. I would just recommend against these kind of things in the future. For your sake.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #733 on: March 16, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »

^^^

You seem to have this problem, not myself.  You are the one unwilling to admit your shortcomings.  You are the one running solely to stop someone from winning.  I truly want to be the PPT and win and it is only fair to the people to see that you truly do not grasp what being the PPT entails or that Al did a horrible job at it.  Hell, even Al admitted that he was a bad PPT, yet you refuse to admit that you were wrong to not support me when I pledged to give the time committment that Al could not.  Is one to assume that you would do exactly what Al did as PPT?

No DWTL, I am only making the obvious point that you show no respect towards others whos ideas differ from your own.  I have been an actve, capable senator since my election and have shown it time and again.  Frankly I fear for the Senate should you be elected because you will act in a highly partisan manner if you are the same as a PPT as you are as a senator.  I admit that Al did poor but I really do doubt whether you would have been the slightest bit better.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #734 on: March 16, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »

Everyone, especially those opposing DWTL, really need to back up and take a breath. I'm not defending some of DWTL's comments here, but it's difficult to say you view the position as non-partisan when you're running and "anti-DWTL" candidate.

Is he active? Check. Is he a well known Senator? Check. Does he follow procedure? Check.

Al made a joking jab at SPC in one of the bills he presented and referred to SPC's introductions of legislation after he was elected as a "Spamming session." Who cares about these things? Silly junk like that didn't keep Al from the position.

I wish we could stop pretending this is about "maturity" or "activity" and just admit this is about DWTL personally and his party. For goodness sakes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #735 on: March 16, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2009, 10:30:04 PM by Verily »

Everyone, especially those opposing DWTL, really need to back up and take a breath. I'm not defending some of DWTL's comments here, but it's difficult to say you view the position as non-partisan when you're running and "anti-DWTL" candidate.

Is he active? Check. Is he a well known Senator? Check. Does he follow procedure? Check.

Al made a joking jab at SPC in one of the bills he presented and referred to SPC's introductions of legislation after he was elected as a "Spamming session." Who cares about these things? Silly junk like that didn't keep Al from the position.

I wish we could stop pretending this is about "maturity" or "activity" and just admit this is about DWTL personally and his party. For goodness sakes.

But it's not. That you support DWTL and see it that way is one thing. But there are many, many people who oppose DWTL for what they believe are genuine concerns, and on issues that really are more important than "getting personal". Belittling, dismissing or simply denying those concerns does not in any way address them--or convince anyone. You're not raising the dialogue by doing so; you're lowering it.

The chief concern I see and hear--and perhaps you have missed it--is that DWTL will make the position a partisan one. You stated in another thread that you do not consider the PPT to be a partisan job. If this is the case, you should at least be able to see where the opposition is coming from, regardless of whether you believe DWTL is extremely partisan. (I myself have been highly concerned by the sense that DWTL is "owed" the position, by MasterJedi for being a member of his party, by Bacon King and HappyWarrior for having supported them in long-past races, etc. That strikes me most of all of partisanship.)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #736 on: March 16, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »

As usual I agree with Marokai. I fail to see how all this relates in any way to whether either of these candidates hold the qualifications be PPT. Egregious mischaracterizations and provocations for the purpose of eliciting emotional outbursts are simply making this entire contest a joke.

I implore the members of the Senate to take the next 24 or so hours to reconsider their votes, for either candidate, and vote for the member who they believe can serve responsibly in the role, both properly conducting Senate business and maintaining the trust of the Senate.

But it's not. That you support DWTL and see it that way is one thing. But there are many, many people who oppose DWTL for what they believe are genuine concerns, and on issues that really are more important than "getting personal". Belittling, dismissing or simply denying those concerns does not in any way address them--or convince anyone. You're not raising the dialogue by doing so; you're lowering it.

My concern is that many of those issues members have with DWTL are simply blown out of proportions or based on provocations. I will agree that DWTL is a pretty explosive member, but even worse than his temper is the attempt by others to tap into that temper for their own advantage. It is phrases like "anti-DWTL candidate" that worries me.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #737 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »

As usual I agree with Marokai. I fail to see how all this relates in any way to whether either of these candidates hold the qualifications be PPT. Egregious mischaracterizations and provocations for the purpose of eliciting emotional outbursts are simply making this entire contest a joke.

I implore the members of the Senate to take the next 24 or so hours to reconsider their votes, for either candidate, and vote for the member who they believe can serve responsibly in the role, both properly conducting Senate business and maintaining the trust of the Senate.

My concern is that many of those issues members have with DWTL are simply blown out of proportions or based on provocations. I will agree that DWTL is a pretty explosive member, but even worse than his temper is the attempt by others to tap into that temper for their own advantage. It is phrases like "anti-DWTL candidate" that worries me.

Well Purple State just to let you know that is not the sole reason I am running.  I also know myself to be one of the most active Senators(to my knowledge I have never missed a vote and I have also proposed many bills of my own), and also I have always shown myself to be good at what I do.  I believe that I am a person who will be right for the job based on more than just being the "anti-DWTL" candidate.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #738 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »

^^^

I understand that and have been keeping track of all of what's been said since this whole PPT skirmish began. However, while you may have had other, highly rational reasons for running, I find it pretty revealing that you chose to announce your candidacy on that "anti-DWTL" phrase. You listed nothing else in that initial post and I find it disheartening.

I have resolved to remain impartial in this debate and do hope that no matter who wins they will run the Senate responsibly. It shoud just be noted that, in the future, candidates should be more considerate in the way they frame their actions. We look for civility, not hostility, and these boundaries have been left on the wayside by both sides of this.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #739 on: March 16, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

Double Standard?
by South Park Conservative

Just for the record, I will not be supporting Mr. DownWithDaLeft for President Pro Tempore under any circumstance. In fact, if he is somehow elected to the position, I will resign on principle.
I still have not once, not once, and frankly you have numerous times, acted without tact during senate proceedings.

So when,during Senate business, you called HappyWarrior a "lousy Senator" or when you said he had "idiotic" ideas,or when you called Al a "fascist" or when you said he was the "most childish/annoying Senator" since me - were you (a) being tactful or (b) not being tactful and so actually lying in the above quote?

(Further examples of 'tactful' behaviour available on request.)

SPC = SELFISH PRICK

Barmy new Senator clogs up Senate with CRAZY bills

In an act of SHEER SELFISHNESS not seen for years, BARMY new Senator SPC has clogged up the Senate with BARKING bills within minutes of the start of the new sessionwrites Trevor Cadaver.

THE RAG SAYS:
  WHO DOES SPC FINK HE IS!?!!11

In the rest of today's paper...

SPORT! GOSSIP! TITS! TRASH!

The Rag is an IngSoc Publication
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #740 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »

Al's Rag is just what it says it is: an intentionally ridiculous parody of tabloid journalism. For that it is permitted some, ah, artistic license.

In any case, such statements did not take place on the Senate floor. You could at least cite things Al posted there.

(For the record, it's more than just what is posted, but also the attitude with which it is posted. Al is absurd but harmless, although certainly he harms his own cause among the self-righteous more than he helps it.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #741 on: March 16, 2009, 11:16:35 PM »

I think than the problem for many people is than DWTL is too passionated by the issues to be the PPT.

A good PPT needs to be neutral or almost neutral. DWTL is too passionated to be a good PPT. He is too intense. Being too intense is not a problem. It is even a assess when you are in the Senate. To be a good PPT, DWTL would need to be less intense about issues and this is not a good idea. I also think than AL was too intense for being PPT. The perfect PPT would be very active but low-profile.

Being the chief of a party and being PPT at the same time seems to be a bad idea, when you are an effective chief like DWTL.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #742 on: March 17, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »

I urge the same. I hope the Senators make this decision clear-headed.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #743 on: March 17, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2009, 05:22:36 PM by Sen. DownWithTheLeft »

BREAKING NEWS

After long debate, the senate has spoken and they have chosen HappyWarrior and two more months of inactivity.  Many are already speculating whether after this failure the senate will finally elect a capable PPT.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #744 on: March 17, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »

One person (you) = many?

mkay

SPC runs one of the finest journalistic institutions in Atlasia; I'd hate for DWDL to ruin its reputation by turning it into his poorly-written propaganda outlet.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #745 on: March 17, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

After long debate, the senate has spoken and they have chosen HappyWarrior and two more months of inactivity.  Many are already speculating whether after this failure the senate will finally elect a capable PPT.

^^^^

it's precisely statements like these that made me vote against you.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #746 on: March 17, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »

One person (you) = many?

mkay

SPC runs one of the finest journalistic institutions in Atlasia; I'd hate for DWDL to ruin its reputation by turning it into his poorly-written propaganda outlet.

As opposed to Al's "parody" paper that is just an excuse to be a jackass to anyone he doesn't like?

mKay.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: March 17, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »

One person (you) = many?

mkay

This is not poorly written propaganda.  I think anyone has been paying attention realizes I was much more qualified to run the senate and that we made this mistake of electing a PPT not up to task.  First time Al was inactive, now we have a PPT who is incapable.  I would have no problem with you or Franzl being the PPT but HW is just not cut out for the job.  Again, I will be vindicated, but I assume again I will not win the PPT next senate.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #748 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »

I believe that HappyWarrior will make an excellent PPT. There are a few great candidates in the Senate to have done the job, and I believe that SPC would have made a great one.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #749 on: March 17, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

One person (you) = many?

mkay

As opposed to Al's "parody" paper that is just an excuse to be a jackass to anyone he doesn't like?

mKay.

Al's paper doesn't pretend to be much more than that.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies