The National Weekly Atlasian (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:38:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 171500 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: June 26, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2009, 01:04:10 PM by SPC »

Hello, comrades. I have started a newspaper for Atlasia. It will be a mixture of news and commentary. I welcome anyone wishing to contribute, but I encourage them to PM me first.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2007, 10:00:29 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

Exclusive Interview with True Democrat
by South Park Conservative

28 June 2007-Today, I held an interview with Northeast Senatorial Candidate True Democrat. As you might know, True Democrat and Keystone Phil are competing in a runoff election for the Senate seat being vacated by Ernest. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: True Democrat, if elected, what would be your top five priorities in the Senate?

True Democrat: First, a resolution authorizing the president to use force solely to end the genocide in Darfur.  Included in the resolution will be diplomatic means, including sanctions and peace talks. Second, a comprehensive energy/environmental bill that not only ends dependence on foreign oil, but also protects the environment by lowering emissions. Third, a bill that would allow college education to be tax-deducible on a progressive level. Fourth, a resolution that creates a national commission to examine the possibility of recognizing the United States as a separate nation. Fifth, a bill that would increase aid to fight diseases around the world, most notably AIDS, TB, malaria, and the eradication of polio.

SPC: One of your complaints against your opponent, Keystone Phil, is that he didn't campaign for the Northeast Senate seat. Please explain.

True Democrat: Phil claims to be an active citizen of Atlasia, and yet I have not seen one instance of public campaigning of the Senate seat.  He claims that he will be an active Senator, but I'd like to believe that the level of activity in the campaign would reflect the level activity when serving.  I do not wish to go much further into depth on this topic because I believe that Phil's public absence on the Elections board speaks for itself.

SPC: If elected, how would you work with PPT Ebowed?

True Democrat: First of all, with the way things are looking right now, I highly doubt Ebowed will be PPT in the next session of the Senate.  However, if PPT does manage to win reelection to another term as PPT, I will work with him to create more of a concensus in the Senate.  I don't believe that 6-4 votes in the Senate should be the goal of the body.  Instead, all Senators, including the PPT, must work together to try to create 10-0 votes.  I realize this is an unrealistic goal, but it what we should work for.

SPC: I don't mean to be pessimistic, but, assuming you lose your race with Keystone Phil, would you be willing to run for the seat being vacated by President-elect Colin Wixted?

True Democrat: I know the odds are against me in the race.  With Colin out of the country and not being able to vote, plus Kevin possibly having his vote count this time, it will be difficult for me to win.  If this scenario occurs, I will decide at that time whether to run for Colin's seat.  At this point, I am leaning towards not running, and instead pursuing a different course in Atlasia, perhaps a more private life.  Once again, a decision with this regard will not be made until after the election.

SPC: What offices have you held prior to running for Senate?

True Democrat: I have been Lt. Governor of the Northeast (late 2004), a Senator from District 1 (December 2004 - January 2005), Prseident (March - April 2005), Secretary of Forum Affairs (April - June 2005), a Senator from the Pacific region (July - November 2005), Secretary of State (November 2005 - March 2006), GM (April - May 2006), Vice President (December 2006), and most recently I was President (December 2006 - March 2007).

SPC: Thank you for taking the time to do this interview.

The National Weekly Atlasian would also like to encourage other candidates and political figures to have an interview as well. We would like to see Keystone Phil, Rockefeller Republican, or Walter Evans Edge come on for an interview, in particular. Thank you.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:20:01 PM »

Exclusing Interview with Former Governor Polnut

29 June 2007-Today, I once again held an inteview with Former Governor Polnut. He recently lost a Senatorial race, and has some comments to say about Atlasian current events. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: You recently lost a Mideast Senate race. Do you think Al will do a good job?

Polnut: Al is a very competent person, I have no reason to doubt he will do a good job, mind you, I'd probably say the same about Masterjedi.

SPC: What is your opinion about Jas' proposed reforms? Do you think they will help Atlasia?

Polnut: While I'm not a huge fan of aggressive overhauls, I think Atlasia badly needs a swift kick in the backside. Jas's proposals are very much needed, and I believe will do good, assuming they're able to work

SPC: Do you have any future aspiration for political office?

Polnut: When I was wrapping up as Governor, I had no plans to do anything else for a while. Then people started to ask me to run for the Senate seat, I was very hesitant at first, but I was honoured that they asked me, I threw my hat in. So, I suppose that's my long winded way of saying, while I say I have no further aspirations, things can change.

SPC: Do you think your sucessor, Inks, is doing a good job as governor?

Polnut: The Governor and I have very different values and vastly opposing political views, however, I respect him as I think we both have the same fundamental concern for the interests of the citizens. I think, as long as he is pragmatic, and doesn't try to go idelogical he'll be fine.

SPC: What do you think is the most important issue facing Atlasia?

Polnut: I think representation in general. Far, far too many of the representatives are more interested in serving themselves, and their own political dogma, rather than being servants of the public. I believe people will become more active and interested when the process isn't full of personal political point scoring.

SPC: Thank you for having an interview with the NWA.

Polnut: Thanks very much, I enjoyed it.

We at the National Weekly Atlasian would like to encourage other political figures to have interviews as well. Rockefeller Republican will have ann interview next, and I will be providing news stories on Monday.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 11:34:07 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2007, 11:42:30 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

Contested Elections in Northeast, Midwest
By South Park Conservative

02 July 2007 (Developing)-Controversy has arisen this week over two incredibly close senatorial elections in the Midwest and the Northeast. In the Midwest, Ernest filed a lawsuit agains the SoFA for counting votes that were supposedly an hour early, which would have handed the Midwest Senate election from Lewis Trondheim to Yours truly. He has since withdrawn his suit.
      In the Northeast, the results of the runoff election are tied. Keystone Phil and True Democrat are tied at 11-11, due to Ernest casting his ballot at the last minute for Keystone Phil. Significant controversy has also arisen over the validity of Kevin's vote for Keystone Phil, even though Kevin had moved to the Pacific. Other significant votes are Rockefeller Republican's switch from Keystone Phil to TrueDemocrat and EarlAW's switch from Dr Cynic to TrueDemocrat. Also controversy over the time in which the voting booth was closed. Given the several controversies, a court case is likely.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:18:35 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2007, 12:54:07 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

Exclusive Interview with DWTL

02 July 2007-Today, I held an interview with Senator DWTL. As you might know, he is a senator running for reelection next month. Rockefeller Republican has yet to show up for the interview, so DWTL was interviewed in the meantime. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: A recent thread has shown that you are an unpopular senator. Why do you think this is?

DWTL: Why do I think that thread showed I was so unpopular?  Well I am certainly not among the most popular Atlasia's that thread was a bad thread.  The responders including Hashemite who is still bitter over me defeating him, Sensei who is mad I wrote an article about him, TN2024 who is just a left-wing spy or somethinig, and MasterJedi who said he would consider voting for me again.  That thread certainly did not get a good feel for Atlasia as none of my supporters posted there because they are above TN2024's push polls and games.

SPC: What do you think is the #1 problem facing Atlasia?

DWTL: I think the number one problem facing Atlasia is personal vendettas.  The amount of crap being thrown around is out of hand and I am trying to do my best to stop it.  Do I join in sometimes, yes, but only in defense.  Notice how I am the one trying to calm feuds and even offered my endorsement to Porce's reelection campaign for the time being.  I think we need people to learn it is a game and that they should lighten up a bit and have fun.  If the game becomes one of name-calling and stupid remarks, it isn't fun for anyone and it gets real boring real fast.  If we could intellectual debates and party actually doing something to promote their candidates, the game would be a lot more fun.  However, I think the occasional personal scuffle and feud is good for the game.  The amount of attention that was paid to my court case and my attempt to expel Porce as PPT really spiked activity for that time.  It made some people who had never tried to the game before try it.  Those things should be kept to a healthy level though and not just be blatent personal attacks, both those situations had merit to them.

SPC: What is your opinion of the independent commision's ruling that Ebowed is not doing a good job as PPT?

DWTL: I would have to agree.  Ebowed has shown himself too smart for his own good.  He has continually bent the rules to try and benefit personal gain.  That is why I think we need a new fairer PPT, if for nothing else than we want to show Ebowed that we will not just stand by and let him break the rules.  However, I must say I have enjoyed the controversey from him being the PPT.

SPC: What do you think about Speed of Sound's court case arguing that Kevin's vote should count in the Northeastern Special Election (which was a tie)?

DWTL: I have had a few private conservations with Kevin in which he expressed to me his intention to move out west was to challenge Rob or Ebowed for their seat, when this fell through, he decided to just stay in Rhode Island and did know he had to change back.  However, I do not know how well this will stand up in court, but the case against Defarge is strong so I am not worried.

SPC: Are you looking forward to the makeup of the senate in the next Senate?

DWTL: Well, it seems like Phil will be the next senator from the Northeast so yes, I am looking forward to it.  You have four strong conservatives, myself, BrandonH, PBrunsel, and Phil paired with moderates Sam Spade and Rockefeller Republican (hopefully, and I do not believe WEE can even move).  Then the also enjoyable votes of Al and Lewis Trondheim.  Plus the liberal bloc of Porce and Rob.  Can't say I have any qualms about the next senate, however, conservatives will be on the major defensive in the next election and that's why it is important to start supporting our campaigns now.  I look to have a Republican or RPP on every ballot.

Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:35:11 PM »

DWTL's article was hilarious, I'll answer some questions any time.

I'll send you the questions within the next few minutes.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »

I ask for this thread not to turn into a dis war. Thank you.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 07:05:55 PM »

Exclusive Interview with TN2024

03 July 2007-Today, I held an interview with former Senator TN2024. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: What was the main reason you resigned from the Senate?

TN2024: There were a couple, I was generally tired of the useless things that were being debated in the Senate. Also, and I would say that this was the main reason, I was running the office of my local state representative here in Austin while also taking a full class load at the University of Texas, it was very stressful and I had little time for myself, muchless the forum.

SPC: Do you think your successor Sam Spade is doing a good job?

TN2024: From the looks of it he is doing a great job, most of his proposals that I have looked at are great ideas and he seems to be in line with how I would vote on most things. That of course is my personal feelings, more importantly Spade is doing a great job at being involved in a positive Atlasia, which is more important than his personal politics.

SPC: You are a strong opponent of DWTL. Do you have any constructive criticism to offer him right now?

TN2024: If he wants a future in Atlasia he should resign, he will likely lose a Republican primary if someone chooses to run against him, and will surely lose a general election, if DWTL claims to care about a conservative Senate as he suggests all the time, he should stand aside.

SPC: Do you have any plans to return to elected office?

TN2024: Probably not anytime soon, had BrandonH won the presidency I would have pursued his Senate seat, but it is not that way now, and I am fine with that. I won my Senate seat very easily that first time even though I had little experience, I think I could use a lot more before pursuing office again.

SPC: If given the chance to redo your term in the Senate, is there anything you would do differently?

TN2024: I would have made sure I had more time to commit to Atlasia, I only spent the last month or so really paying attention to the Senate, I was far too busy and should have anticipated not having the proper time.

TN2024: Thanks for the chance to participate in an interview, I am always available for an opinion, keep up the good work on your paper, this is great for Atlasia.

Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2007, 09:37:09 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

TrueDemocrat Concedes Northeast Senate Race

03 July 2007 (Developing)-In the midst of several court cases, TrueDemocrat has conceded the Northeast Senate election. In his concession speech, he recognizes that he conceded to end the court cases.
   The first of these cases, Ernest vs. Gabu III, regarded the validity of the vote of Defarge, cast for TrueDemocrat. Accorfing to the plaintiff, Defarge's vote was invalid because he did not meet the posting requirement for voting. The defendant had no defense.
   Another case, Speed of Sound vs. Gabu, regarded the validity of Kevin's vote. Although Kevin's vote for Keystone Phil was disqualified due to his residence, Speed of Sound and DWTL claim otherwise.
   TrueDemocrat hopes that Keystone Phil will adopt some of his policies, and is proud of the high turnout this election received.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

I would like to answer some questions, as I am an elected official and my own constituents don't even know how I stand on things, and if possible it would clarify my views.

I will PM you soon with the questions.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »

Exclusive Interview with Ebowed

03 July 2007- Today, I held an interview with Senate PPT Ebowed. I was much looking forward to the interview. Here was the transcript:

SPC: How would you rate your own service as PPT?

Ebowed: I think I've performed pretty well.  I have attempted to keep the Senate running on time and conducted the job in a fair and impartial manner-- I have blocked bills and amendments from both liberal and conservative Senators.  While I have criticized Senators and their legislation in the Senate and in my newspaper (as is my right), I believe that in my function as the President Pro Tempore I have not given any Senator unfair treatment, despite the ill-informed worries of Mr. DownWithDaLeft.

SPC: A recent independent commitee came to the conclusion that you do not run the senate efficiently. Do you have any plans to change how you run the senate based on this conclusion?

Ebowed: Well, with all due respect to the members of that committee, based on the "findings" of their first report (and the unanimous nature of it) I would question exactly how politically motivated they are, as opposed to flaunting their supposed independence.  Do I have any plans to change how I ran the Senate?  Well, not based on their report, not at all.  The entire text of the report states:

"Ebowed did not run the senate efficiently. Therefore, we are rallying all support behind an opponent of our choice for PPT. No disrespect to Ebowed, but what must be done, must be done to clean up our fair senate."

Upon my request for further detail, some sort of elaboration was promised but never delivered.  So, based on what I have here, there isn't a whole lot to go on, is there?  It simply states that I did not run the Senate 'efficiently.'  Well, in all honesty and subjectivity, if I had to offer any criticisms of the way I run the Senate, inefficience would not be one of them.  I challenge the committee to find a PPT who was truly inefficient and contrast their tenure to mine.  I think what the committee was actually trying to say was that I pissed them off by holding up the Naso vote.  Of course, inefficience is a much nicer way of putting it, even if it isn't exactly true.

SPC: Your stalling of a presidential nominee two months ago created controversy. If you could go back two months, would you do anything differently?

Ebowed: I stalled that hearing to illustrate a point about how incompetent the nominee, Mike Naso, was.  Now, you make it sound like I was stalling the hearing against his well-informed will.  In fact, I started the confirmation vote immediately when a citizen finally brought the rule to public attention.  The nominee, on the other hand, was willing to wait for a cloture vote and was perfectly happy to answer all of the questions I offered which effectively stalled the hearing.

SPC: Who would you say were your favorite and least favorite senators in the last Senate?

Ebowed: I will refrain from answering questions like this simply because I feel it would be inappropriate to compare the qualities of different Senators in a negative light while PPT.  I am happy to offer praises or criticisms to any Senators who I feel deserve them, but I will not designate 'favorite' or 'least favorite' members.

SPC: What do you plan to accomplish in the next Senate?

Ebowed: I hope to work closely with the Colin Wixted/Jas administration to support their reform proposals, as well as work with the Progressive Caucus to launch economically and environmentally liberal proposals.  I will also continue sponsoring all legislation I currently have waiting in the Senate queue, as well as the legislation of any retiring Senators who have introduced sound bills.

Ebowed: Thanks.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »

Exclusive Interview with Sam Spade

04 July 2007- Yesterday, I held an interview with newly elected Senator Sam Spade. Here is the transcipt of the interview:

SPC: Now that you're a Senator, what are your five major goals to achieve in there?

Sam Spade: Five major goals?  Wow, that's a lot.  Hopefully, I can be that successful.

The two most important goals to accomplish (in my mind) are:

1) a return to comity, compromise and fair discussion in the Senate.  The past Senate has been filled with enmity b/w various members and this must stop.  The Senate is a place of reasoned discussion and rules, not personal attacks and power grabs.

2) Because of the past Senate session, it seems clear to me that the Senate rules must be written in a way to ensure that the PPT position is an administrative position, not a position of power.  Moreover, in the original rules, a number of provisions were left silent for interpretation.  This past session has indicated to me that these provisions must be fleshed out.

Thus, an equally important goal to me is to finish a rewrite of the rules to ensure that these two concerns (and others) are met.  Until I have rewritten the rules, gotten advice from other Senate members and the Vice-President, I will propose a base-line of basic rule provisions on such issues as sponsorship, censure and absentee voting (to name a few), until the revision is complete.  This will ensure equal treatment for each Senator, unlike what occurred in the last session.

As for the other three goals:

3) I hope to return the Senate to a path of centrist legislation and policy goals in general.

4) As always, I want to pass legislation that benefits the Southeast Region and most importantly represents the views and sentiments of the Southeast citizenry as a whole.  It is their support that provides me the opportunity to legislate to begin with and I desire to do so on their behalf.

5) Long term, my last main goal is to see most of Article V of the Constitution (and election regulations altogether) be transferred into statute, where changes can be made by legislation much easier and quicker.

SPC: What do you think is the most important issue facing Atlasia right now?

Sam Spade: I think Atlasia has done a good job of picking up citizens and renewing interest over the past few months in its government, myself included.  Although this will probably sound hackneyed, I still think the most important issue facing this country is still attracting new people and most importantly, getting them involved. 

For example, we have a new Lt. Governor in the Southeast, Sensei, who has taken the opportunity to run for office, to be active, and as time goes forth, to propose new legislation to strengthen our fair land.  This should our goal and aim - to see each and every new citizen involved in government.  Not sitting at the sidelines, waiting for a PM every 2-4 months to vote in a election, but rather at the forefront, as a representative of the people.

We have a large and varied forum here to draw upon.  I will continue my support of any plans designed to increase forum membership in our citizenry.  I have long pushed for strong Regional government as an alternative outlet for members to express their ideas and become involved in Atlasia.  It has pleased me to see relatively new  members like Sensei, South Park Conservative (you) and Inks getting involved in government at the Regional level.

And although I do not support term limits b/c I think our citizens are well-educated enough to decide when enough is enough, I will continue to run for office only when I have goals in mind or things I wish to accomplish.  I will not stay in the Senate for longer than two terms.  When I am done, someone new should follow and someone will.

SPC: Do you plan on reelecting Senator Ebowed as PPT?

Sam Spade: I intend on running for PPT myself.

SPC: Do you think your predecessor, TN2024, did a good job in the Senate?

Sam Spade: I thought he did a fine job as Senator, was active, and represented the Southeast well.  However, as I said in my announcement speech, I was unhappy with his actions in trying to expel a certain member of the Senate.  Regardless or whether one thinks that certain member should actually be in the Senate or not, the people of District 2 elected him there.  That member has been active and a regular contributor to debate and deserves to have his voice heard.

It boils down to this for me.  Whether or not I might think someone's particular ideas are stupid, they deserve a chance to speak their side.  One must always keep an open ear to all sides of the debate, even how badly reasoned it might seem.  But the goal of civility and reasoned discourse must be first and foremost in debate within the Senate.   I thought TN2024 was quite correct to call for that certain member of the Senate to tone his rhetoric down.  But a call for toning the rhetoric down does not equate to a personal vendetta, nor does it equate to expulsion.

As Senator, that is how I will maintain myself on the floor at all times, concerning all members of the Senate.

SPC: What of you think of Senator Jas' proposed reforms?

Let me answer first concerning the first five reforms presented.

I wholeheartedly support the first one.  With the second proposal, I am primarily worried about an inordinate strengthening of executive power.  The third proposal I will not support under any grounds - our country is not a democracy, it is a Republic.  Moreover, I have witnessed plenty of times how inactive voters can be used to gain elective office; little do I want that to effect legislative process.  The fourth proposal I can pass, on the conditionevery piece of citizen legislation must have a Senate sponsor.  The fifth proposal I am completely undecided on - mainly b/c I do respect judicial independence, but a 12-month term seems reasonable.

Concerning the most recent proposal - proportional representation - I will choose to maintain an open mind, even though it fundamentally changes the system.  My primary concern is with accessability.  A proportional representation scheme may be tough for new Atlasians to pick up and learn quickly, especially those from the US, where proportional representation is rare.

As of this present moment, I am undecided as to whether to support the legislation or not.  I will probably seek some amendments to it, but I have not formulated those in my mind yet.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 12:19:29 AM »

Exclusive Interview with Rockefeller Republican

05 July 2007- Today, I held an interview with District 1 Senate Candidate Rockefeller Republican. He is running for the seat soon to be vacated by President-elect Colin Wixted. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: If elected to the Senate, what would be your top 5 priorities?

Rockefeller Republican: To be quite honest I don't have any priorities if I'm elected into the Atlasian Senate. Though, I do have one particular priority and that is the work for the interests of the citizens of the Northeast. If I can fufill this priority then I would be a happy man.

SPC: What made you decide to drop out of the Northeast Senate Race?

Rockefeller Republican: I dropped out of the Northeastern Senate race. because I thought I was going to have an uphill battle against the respected Senator Ernest. I thought that the voters would rather have a person they knew, than a person they didn't know all that well. Boy, was I wrong about how the Senate race ended up turning out.

SPC: If elected, do you think you would be a swing vote in the Senate?

Rockefeller Republican: I believe that I could be a swing vote if I'm elected into the Atlasian Senate. It all depends on what the proposed legislation is. For instance if the legislations on Abortion then I would vote for it. Or if it was a bill for Tax Cuts to the rich then I would vote against it.

SPC: Who in Atlasian politics do you most admire?

Rockefeller Republican: I do admire one person in Atlasian politics. That person is PBrunsel. I admire him because of his strong leadership and that he's a respectable conservative. I would have admired him more if he was a progressive in the 1920's.

SPC: Do you have any complaints against Walter Evans Edge?

Rockefeller Republican: I don't have any complaints against Walter Evans Edge at the present time, however I would like to challenge him to a debate though during the current campaign.

Rockefeller Republican: Thanks for your time.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »

Soon enough. I'm on vacation right now.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

Okay, my paper has been viewed by 444 people (or bots) since I started it. I have charged $0.50 per viewing, so my paper has created $222 in revenue. I will decide who to donate that to in the coming weeks.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 07:40:05 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2007, 11:34:48 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

GPorter, Naso launch Presidential Campaigns

14 July 2007- In the last week, two individuals have taken steps toward presidential campaigns. The first of these individuals, suspected hack GPorter, started his campaign by criticizing "President Ebowed" and "his plan to make a 15% tax cut", both of which make absolutely no sense. In response to criticism over his campaign, GPorter sent nasty PMs to the critics and put them on his ignore list. He also is inable to spell the name of Lloyd Bentsen. Although I intend to run an unbiased paper, this guy is such an obvious hack that I believe it is justification for breaking that rule.
   Our next potential candidate, former Governor and frequent candidate Mike Naso, launched an exploratory commitee today, along with a poll to allow him to test the waters. He has based his campaign on his long record and states that it is important to start the campaign early. If you consider two weeks into the new President's term to be early, then you are correct.
   Overall, I think that these campaigns are going to have a lot of competition, but it is way to early to tell.

_________________________________________________________________________________
If you wish to join the National Weekly Atlasian or do an interview, please PM me. Thank you for reading. Smiley
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 10:39:45 PM »

Exclusive Interview with Mike Naso

15 July 2007-Today, I held an interview with former Southeast Governor and potential presidential candidate Mike Naso. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: You are testing the waters for a presidential campaign in 3 months. Why so early?

NASO: I think that my campaign will clearly be an uphill battle, and that's why I'd rather begin exploring now rather than in August or September, by that time I'm sure many other candidates will be in. I think back in February I began my campaign too late, and I had running mate issues of course with Everett leaving the ticket and Inks joining it, although I think Inks helped alot in the end. But even with other strong conservatives in the race, we only lost by 20 votes which...given Everett leaving the ticket, my late start, and other conservatives being in the race, I still felt was impressive. So yes, it is early and if I end up running I should announce sometime late this month or in early August.

SPC: What do you think of GPorter and his antics?

NASO: You know, one issue of forum politics that I am not fond of is dirty politics. As many know I enjoy making people laugh, I enjoy being truthful and I don't want to begin negativity against any one campaign or candidate. I hope to run a very optimistic campaign with a strong, hopeful message.

SPC: If elected president, what would be your top five priorities?

NASO: Well, my first priority is to bring more people to the forum. We are slowly but surely getting more and more activity, but I believe through advertising and word of mouth, we can increase membership by atleast 25% during my Presidency.

Secondly, I want to repeal the Marijuana Legalization Act signed into law by President Alcon two years ago. Marijuana should be an illegal drug, and I plan on making sure that this dangerous drug be made illegal in our country once again. In doing that, we will also likely have to make revisions to the
National Sin Tax Act, to remove marijuana from the tabacco products list.

Third, I want to build up Atlasia's military by increasing funding for military equiptment, and personal. I intend to create a military branch field where after a week long test training event, people in Atlasia can become members of Atlasia's military branch. I know this seems like an interestly bold move by a President, but I feel including people in a fantasy military will not only help build up our nation's military might, but it will also help increase participation.

Another thing I intend to do as President is have a bi-partisan cabinet. I will make sure I have a large array of cabinet members from different political parties serving in my administration to assure I hear both sides of the issues at hand.

Finally, I intend on bringing an optimistic tone back to Atlasia. I still think our nation is full of too much anger and cynicism and that we must come together, united as one, in order to increase participation and better the country.

SPC: What have been your accomplishments in the offices you have held?

NASO: I think the thing I am most proud of, something I feel is more important then any legislation I ever passed or tried to pass, was bring a steady hand on the Southeast Region in September 2006 after the resignation of Governor Harry. I understand I had a mishap with the December Election vote in the Southeast region, but I feel that the way I was able to prevent a regional incident or chaos as I had to take the title of Governor, was remarkable. Harry resigned and I took office as if it were natural, as if his term was over...not as if he was leaving early. The people of the Southeast rewarded me with my own election as Governor and I feel that while I did a good job, I still could have done better. But I think handling my sudden ascension to the Governorship was my best accomplishment. I mean, a liberal President nominated me to be Vice President. I mean, I ran against the guy! Yet still, he chose me. While I lost Senate confirmation, I think the President knew that I was capable of the job, which I was and am, and I think that shows even more, how qualified I am to bring together all political parties...and serve as President.

SPC: Do you like what the Wixted/Jas presidency has accomplished in its first two weeks?

NASO: I think the introduction to Atlasia bill, which is now in place and lead by Vice President Jas was a decent thing to do. I think it adds encouragement to increasing activity. I'm hoping that Senator Ebowed's disgusting Liberalization of Sex Laws bill which weakens penalties for very nasty sex crimes fails and I hope President Wixted comes out strongly against Senator Ebowed and his twisted way of enforcing laws against criminals. Again, this upcoming campaign won't be one against any one candidate...but a campaign for one nation. I hope I can earn people's support as I consider a run and I appreciate the interview. Thank you.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »

Update: $111 of that the National Weekly Atlasian has earned will be donated to the SPC for Lt. Gov. Campaign Commitee. The rest will be used for advertising for the National Weekly Atlasian
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »

Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment Likely To Pass

21 July 2007 (Developing)- With overwhelming support in the Midwest, Mideast, and Pacific regions, it would appear that the Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment is likely to pass. However, the focus of the election is on the results in the Northeast and Southeast regions. In these regions, the Aye vots only narrowly leads the Nay vote. If both of these region vote Nay on the amendment, it will not pass.

District 1 Special Voting Booth Opens

21 July 2007 (Developing)- The voting booth for the special election to replace President COlin Wixted in the Senate has been opened today. Opened a week late, Senate candidate EarlAW complained that he and fellow candidate Rockefeller Republican were not informed about the date of the election. Neither candidate did any major campaigning, and votes have yet to be cast.

The National Weekly Atlasian will be giving a commentary about next month's Senate races on August 13.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »

Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment Passes

24 July 2007- Over the last seven days, the voters in all five regions decided to add the Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment to the Atlasian Constitution. The Amendment repealed the requirement of officeholders to display their residency.

EarlAW wins Special Election

24 July 2007- Over the weekend, the citizens of District 1 voted to have EarlAW replace President Colin Wixted in the Senate. He started the election as the forntrunner and maintained that status throughout Election Day. The campaign was rather uneventful, but, on the bright side, at least the month-long vacancy held in the District 1 Senate seat is finally over.

The National Weekly Atlasian will be selling ad space for candidates of the upcoming election at $500/ad. Please contact the National Weekly Atlasian via PM to obtain your ad. We will also be holding Senatorial debates for any district candidates that wish to participate.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2007, 12:17:24 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

The National Weekly Atlasian will be publishing its commentary on recent legislation:
Decriminalization of LSD Bill Oppose
People's Referendum Amendment Oppose
Education Funding Clarification Bill Oppose
2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007 Support
Expansion of Presidential Line-Item Veto Power Amendment Support
Withdrawal Resolution Support
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »

The Significance of Kevin

27 July 2007- Last week's special election highlighted one of the significant parts of our Atlasian election system--Kevin. Yes, Kevin has been famous for his record of casting invalid ballots for Atlasian elections, and the District 1 Special Election was no exception. Kevin, who had moved to California prior to the election, ran into legal controversy when his vote would have given the election the Keystone Phil if it wasn't deemed invalid. Keystone Phil got elected anyway because of the invalidity of Defarge's vote. The irony of this is that Kevin cast his vote in the District 1 Election from his former residency of Rhode Island after it had been deemed hat he resided in Calfornia. A question that will rise, due to the recent passage of the Fairness to the Voter Amendment last month, if Kevin will continue his tradition and cast yet another invalid ballot in the August Senate Elections, or if kevin will make a milestone and cast a valid ballot. Whatever happens, Kevin's record of invalid ballots will forever be an Atlasian landmark.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 11:21:30 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2007, 11:31:58 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

The National Weekly Atlasian will be publishing senatorial voting records comparing their votes to the NWA's positions:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
NWA N N Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N Y
PBrunsel N 0 Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y N 0 Y Y Y N Y 94% A
DWTL N Y Y Y 0 0 0 0 Y N N N Y Y Y N Y 93% A-
BrandonH N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y 0 N N Y Y N N Y 88% B+

Sam Spade N Y Y Y N Y 0 Y Y Y Y N N Y Y N Y 82% B-
Keystone Phil N Y Y Y N 0 Y Y Y Y Y N N N N N N Y 71% C-
Ebowed Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y 61% D-
Al 0 Y Y Y 0 0 Y Y Y 0 Y Y N Y N N N N 57% F
Rob Y 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Y 0 Y N Y Y Y 57% F
EarlAW 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Y Y Y N 0 N Y N N 50% F
Lewis Trondheim Y Y Y Y Y 0 0 0 Y 0 0 0 0 0 N 0 Y Y 44% F

Y=Aye
N=Nay
0=Absent/Abstain
Red=Up for reelection

First=Acceptance of Science Bill
2nd=Carbon Tax Act
3rd=SoFA Confirmation
4th=Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment
5th=Yates Cancer Research Bill
6th=SoEA Cofirmation
7th=AG Confirmation
8th=Copyrights Bill
9th=Perjury Bill
10th=Introduction to Atlasia Bill
11th=Darfur Divestment Bill
12th=Bill to Establish Atlasian Policy Towards HIV/AIDS
13th=Resolution on the issue of Atlasian Recognition of the USA
14th=Liberalization of Sex Laws Bill
15th=2nd Immigration Reform Bill
16th=Decriminalization of LSD Bill
17th=People's Referendum Amendment
18th=Expansion of Presidential Line-Item Veto Power Amendment
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »

SPC, would it possible to make it a little clearer what each bill is?  I would also like to state here again that I am the only senator to vote against the capitalist infringment bill that was the Darfur Divestment Bill

All the bills are the ones that came to a final vote in order according to Jas's 20th Senate Notice Board, with the exception of the Amending to Position of th Sean of the Senate Bill. I will try to clarify this.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »

Sure, just PM me and I'll send you the questions. Sorry, I've been kinda sidetracked.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies