Georgia Supreme Court Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:04:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia Supreme Court Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Georgia Supreme Court Election  (Read 4906 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2024, 07:26:39 PM »

Is Pinson winning more than 25% of the black vote right now?

There’s a case he is
iceman
United States

« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2024, 07:28:51 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2024, 07:46:41 PM by iceman »

Honestly, the fact that Barrow is even getting 45% (and likely higher) of the vote based off of just $1M running against an incumbent with no party affiliation actually tells me that he had a pretty strong case here.

trying to sugarcoat things again eh?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2024, 07:31:13 PM »

I wonder if Barrow being sort of a “good old boy” style Democrat is at least partly responsible for these types of results. A less severe version of this was observed in the 2018 SoS race.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2024, 07:32:15 PM »

Fayette is very weird. Super strong Barrow precincts vs super strong Pinson precincts.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2024, 07:32:57 PM »

Perhaps, but if this election were taking place in Wisconsin I don't think it would have gone the way it did.

Barrow failed to galvanize the state party, donors or the voters who should have cared about the issue to find out who to vote for.

If Barrow were up 10% now this thread would be having a very different conversation.

The 2023 Wisconsin Supreme Court race had $51 million spent in it and was an open race.

This election had about $3 million and has an R incumbent.

If there was another ~$48 million spent on this election then most likely the Atlanta suburbs would've come alive and possibly given Barrow a chance, *maybe* helped by the abortion issue but I don't think we'll ever know that.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2024, 07:33:34 PM »

I think a lot of low-info black voters who voted Pinson didn’t know he was a Republican and Barrow a Democrat. I’m pretty certain this race would look more like a traditional partisan race had there been partisan labels.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2024, 07:34:11 PM »

Perhaps, but if this election were taking place in Wisconsin I don't think it would have gone the way it did.

Barrow failed to galvanize the state party, donors or the voters who should have cared about the issue to find out who to vote for.

If Barrow were up 10% now this thread would be having a very different conversation.

The 2023 Wisconsin Supreme Court race had $51 million spent in it and was an open race.

This election had about $3 million and has an R incumbent.

If there was another ~$48 million spent on this election then most likely the Atlanta suburbs would've come alive and possibly given Barrow a chance, *maybe* helped by the abortion issue but I don't think we'll ever know that.

Lol at that money difference
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2024, 07:37:39 PM »

“John barrow” sounds more rural and white than Andrew Pinson

Might explain some of the results too
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2024, 07:37:51 PM »

I don't know what to make of this election.

All I know is that I wanted something encouraging to happen out of it, and I'm not sure I got that.
This race wasn’t super DIScouraging but it wasn’t very INcouraging either, definitely does not generate the vibes shift we need.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2024, 07:38:57 PM »

Looks like this will be typical GA where all the rurals will end up completing, and leaving us with all of the bigger cities.

Athens and Macon with nothing to report nearly 2 hours later...
JMT

« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2024, 07:53:51 PM »

My thoughts: uncontroversial incumbents almost always do well.  The incumbent tag powered Pinson, but this was mitigated by Barrow's higher name recognition in the areas he used to represent.
Do you know why Barrow chose to run against Pinson? There were three other justices seeking re-election today as well who were left uncontested.

I have no idea.

I’m also not certain, but my guess is that Barrow ran for Pinson’s seat because Pinson hasn’t stood for election before, so maybe Barrow thought Pinson would be easier to defeat. The three other justices were all elected in 2018 (and perhaps have higher name recognition), whereas this was the first Supreme Court race Pinson ran in (he was appointed to his seat in 2022).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2024, 07:57:27 PM »

Fayette biggest county yet to be finished - Pinson+8, lower than Carr +11. On par with Trump +7.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2024, 08:02:09 PM »

Rockdale finished. Pinson +8 lol. Biden +41
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2024, 08:08:14 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2024, 07:56:28 AM by CityofSinners »

Easy to blame GA dems for not investing in a court race like the WI dems did. The enourmous difference between the race was that WI mattered very much. While Barrow winning would get you nothing beyond bragging rights.
Dems winning in WI got them new legislative maps and a slew of other favorable rulings. Investing tens of millions for Barrow would be a waste of money.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2024, 08:11:41 PM »

As more votes come in for the Atlanta Metro, it just seems very clear that these voters did not get the memo on this race/Barrow being the D candidate.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2024, 08:12:19 PM »

Easy to blame GA dems for not investing in a court race like the WI dems did. The enourmous difference between the race was that WI mattered very much. While Barrow winning would get you nothing beyong bragging rights.
Dems winning in WI got them new legislative maps and a slew of other favorable rulings. Investing tens of millions for Barrow would be a waste of money.

Very true. Would've been nice to at least have just a D/R race though without the incumbent label so that we got a proxy special election Wink
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2024, 08:13:51 PM »

Easy to blame GA dems for not investing in a court race like the WI dems did. The enourmous difference between the race was that WI mattered very much. While Barrow winning would get you nothing beyong bragging rights.
Barrow alone no, but they let 3 other judges walk away uncontested. Had Dems somehow swept tonight in every SC race they would only be a knifes edge away from the majority.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2024, 08:18:04 PM »

Seems like white liberal voters got the memo that barrow is the dem
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2024, 08:18:39 PM »

Barrow alone no, but they let 3 other judges walk away uncontested. Had Dems somehow swept tonight in every SC race they would only be a knifes edge away from the majority.

Yes, it is odd.  They had a chance to make it 5R/4D and barely tried. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2024, 08:19:59 PM »

The Reaganite 3 legged stool is well and alive in the great state of Georgia . Long live Reaganism and the Reagan revolution
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2024, 08:22:31 PM »

The Reaganite 3 legged stool is well and alive in the great state of Georgia . Long live Reaganism and the Reagan revolution
The map looks like a lot like one from decades ago too.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2024, 08:23:00 PM »

The map looks like a lot like one from decades ago too.

Yes and it’s beautiful
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2024, 08:23:45 PM »

“John barrow” sounds more rural and white than Andrew Pinson

Might explain some of the results too

Plus I imagine that rural whites are a lot more likely to vote against incumbency, for no other reason than opposition to the establishment.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2024, 08:30:22 PM »

This almost looks like an early 2000s election in GA. Fulton is blue but not as blue as today, the rurals are red, but not as red as today, while the key is the ATL suburbs, which are red, unlike today. End result is a low double-digit victory for the GOP.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2024, 08:40:45 PM »

The only thing I will say about this election and November is that it is ot a great sign that we still have 20% outstanding over 2 and half hours later.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies