Return of the retread in by elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:14:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Return of the retread in by elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Return of the retread in by elections  (Read 1425 times)
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »

What chance is there of a Labour retread (former M.P.) running in the Sedgfield or Ealing Southall by elections?
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:29:58 PM »

It's possible. After all Sedgefield and Ealing, Southall are rock solid Labour seats but I should bring up the case of Alun Michael in the Assembly in 1999. He was elected in Mid and West Wales because Plaid won Ceredigion, Carmarthen East and Llanelli. If Plaid had not won Llanelli, he would not have been elected. It's a very high risk prospect (and could damage that candidate's worth).

I presume you are thinking that Labour might parachute Quentin Davies into Sedgefield are you? If that's the case, that would mean a Grantham and Stamford by-election as well.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »

I presume you are thinking that Labour might parachute Quentin Davies into Sedgefield are you? If that's the case, that would mean a Grantham and Stamford by-election as well.

I think that would be disasterous. The Conservatives would hold Grantham and, despite their sorry state I would expect the Lib Dems to pick up Sedgefield; I know many people would vote for a fish if it had a red rosette on but as Quentin has less charisma than the fish or rosette I could see it backfire. Besides Quentin, as Alan Duncan noted, is being 'used'; give it six months and he'll be moping on the backbenches, hes not someone who Labour would actively try to retain come the next Labour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 06:39:13 PM »

I can't see the Sedgefield CLP (or *any* CLP for that matter...) selecting Davies anyways.

A name that has been mentioned is Chris Leslie (ex for Shipley). But wait and see before making too many assumptions.
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:43 AM »

It's possible. After all Sedgefield and Ealing, Southall are rock solid Labour seats but I should bring up the case of Alun Michael in the Assembly in 1999. He was elected in Mid and West Wales because Plaid won Ceredigion, Carmarthen East and Llanelli. If Plaid had not won Llanelli, he would not have been elected. It's a very high risk prospect (and could damage that candidate's worth).

No. He wouldnt be a good fit for either seat, after al he is at the tail end of his career really.

Ideally I would like to see John Cryer for Southall.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:36:38 AM »

Speaking of by-elections Wink:

http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/23201.htm

Brown 'bounce' brings by-election boost for Labour

Labour made its first election gain of the Gordon Brown era in the latest council contests.

Candidate Jeffrey Hunt won at Slough, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough, Warwickshire, with the Tories being forced into third place behind the BNP.

Labour had won the ward's other seat last year.

The party also slashed the Liberal Democrats' majority on a huge swing at Tyldesley, Wigan Borough.

Labour narrowly missed at Charlemont with Grove Vale, Sandwell Borough, West Midlands, where THE Tories recaptured the seat previously represented by one of their councillors who later became independent.

Analysis of four comparable results this week suggests that Labour has taken the nationwide lead by a projected 0.1%.

A calculation based on 18 comparable contests in June still puts the Tories in the lead - by 3.5%.

Analysis of 13 wards fought both times by all three major parties gives a line-up of C 41.2%, Lab 38.1%, Lib Dem 13.8%.

The low Liberal Democrat share is exacerbated by the result at Wigan where there were significant local issues.

RESULTS:

Milton Keynes City - Whaddon: Lab 1108, C 914, England First 221, Lib Dem 129, Ukip 109, Ind 49. (May 2006 - Lab 1125, C 984, Lib Dem 220, Ukip 202, Better MK Ind 93). Lab hold. Swing 1.1% C to Lab.

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough - Slough: Lab 862, BNP 582, C 499, English Democrats 102, Lib Dem 83. (May 2006 - Lab 792, C 708, Lib Dem 346). Lab gain from C. Swing 6.3% C to Lab.

Pendle Borough - Craven: Lib Dem 632, C 260, Ind 241, BNP 237, Lab 76. (May 2007 - Lib Dem 736, Ind 428, C 405). Lib Dem hold. Swing 2.3% C to Lib Dem.

Sandwell Borough - Charlemont with Grove Vale: C 870, Lab 801, BNP 544, Lib Dem 238, Green 71. (May 2007 - C 1460, Lab 970, BNP 788, Lib Dem 671). C gain from Ind. Swing 4.9% C to Lab.

Wigan Borough - Tyldesley: Lib Dem 784, Lab 619, Ind 377, C 170. (May 2007 - Lib Dem 1838, Lab 447, C 370, Green 260). Lib Dem hold. Swing 19.6% Lib Dem to Lab.

Whatever happened to the thread we once had covering local by-elections?

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »

I was struggling to find the time to keep it updated so abandoned it. I can start a new one if thee wishes. I have more time now.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »

I was struggling to find the time to keep it updated so abandoned it. I can start a new one if thee wishes. I have more time now.

Just remain this thread Wink, here are yesterdays:

http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/23710.htm

No gains - but Labour's vote share advances

There were no seat changes in the latest council by-elections although Labour moved from third place to second in two of them.

The party's vote share was up in all three of the contested polls, suggesting it is still enjoying a "Brown bounce".

But there was a net swing to Tories in their North Tyneside Borough St Marys stronghold.

RESULTS:

East Northamptonshire District - Higham Ferrers Lancaster: C unopposed. (May 2006 - Two seats C 812, 787, Lab 335, 316). C hold.

Gateshead Borough - Dunston and Teams: Lab 793, Lib Dem 285, BNP 131, C 69. (May 2007 - Lab 940, Lib Dem 357, BNP 252, C 179). Lab hold. Swing 3% Lib Dem to Lab.

North Tyneside Borough - St Marys: C 1992, Lab 363, Lib Dem 239. (May 2007 - C 2761, Lib Dem 549, Lab 439). C hold. Swing 0.4% Lab to C.

Oldham Borough - Saddleworth West and Lees: Lib Dem 908, Lab 416, C 243, BNP 202. (May 2007 - Lib Dem 1571, C 747, Lab 537). Lib Dem hold. Swing 4.2% Lib Dem to Lab.

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies