Prediction stagnation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:05:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
  Prediction stagnation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Prediction stagnation?  (Read 17604 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »

Looking at the aggregate prediction history it appears we have hit a stagnation point.  What will it take to break it?  How long will it last?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:39:41 PM »

It's probably going to stay this way until we know who the two candidates will be and we are seeing polls in various states.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:39:54 PM »

We've had most all of the forum regulars make their initial predictions now, so  until some news comes up, we're likely to be stagnant for a while.

Here are the States that would need 10 or fewer of the existing 169 predictions to be changed to affect the map (assuming my idea of how the results are being tabulated is correct).  Only the changes marked below in bold would affect the line graph:

Colorado: 7 D>40% or higher to D>30% or lower to change the prediction from D>40% to D>30%

Delaware: 8 Weak D or lower  to Strong D would change the prediction from Weak D to Strong D.

Florida: 10 Tossup or lower to Weak R or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak R.

Hawaii: 2 Strong D to Weak D or less would change the prediction from Strong D to Weak D.

Minnesota: 10 Weak D or higher to Tossup or less would change the prediction from Weak D to Tossup.

Missouri: 8 Tossup or lower to Weak R or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak R.

Missouri: 10 R>50% or higher to R>40% or lower would change the prediction from R>50% to R>40%.

Nevada: 3 D>40% or higher to D>30% or lower to change the prediction from D>40% to D>30%

New Hampshire:3 Weak D or higher to Tossup or less would change the prediction from Weak D to Tossup.

Pennsylvania: 4 Tossup or lower to Weak D or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak D.

Texas: 8 R>60% or higher to R>50% or lower to change the prediction from R>60% to R>50%
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 11:55:41 PM »

I'm surprised they had Pennsylvania as a tossup to begin with.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:46 AM »

I'm surprised they had Pennsylvania as a tossup to begin with.

Pennsylvania has been at a Weak D at times, most recently for one day on the 19th.  It's change from a Weak D to a Tossup was the last change to affect the line graph.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 02:58:08 AM »

Looking at MA, 2 users listed it as a Rep win (one including a STRONG R win). Cookie to anyone who finds that map.

Looking at DC, once again 2 users have a R win there (once again one has it has strong R, and the % is R> 80%). I want to see those 2 maps!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »

Looking at MA, 2 users listed it as a Rep win (one including a STRONG R win). Cookie to anyone who finds that map.

Looking at DC, once again 2 users have a R win there (once again one has it has strong R, and the % is R> 80%). I want to see those 2 maps!

Easy; sorted by most GOP.

https://uselectionatlas.org/PRED/PRESIDENT/2008/pred.php?action=indpred&id=454

Aaand of course, our good friend:

https://uselectionatlas.org/PRED/PRESIDENT/2008/pred.php?action=indpred&id=455
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 03:58:03 AM »

Damn! Beat me to it.

Oh well, I have my own cookies
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 04:04:26 AM »

LOL!
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »

I believe jamespol is trying to scare people from nominating Obama.  As for tancredo08, I think his name says it all.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »

I wish the serious predictions could be sorted out from the 'wishful thinkings' or 'crazy scenarios'
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »

I wish the serious predictions could be sorted out from the 'wishful thinkings' or 'crazy scenarios'

Me too, there are to many left-wing waks that think the Democrats are going to get all of the toss-up states. They need to wake up and smell the coffee, it isn't going to happen.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 09:19:14 PM »

Me too, there are to many left-wing waks that think the Democrats are going to get all of the toss-up states. They need to wake up and smell the coffee, it isn't going to happen.

You mean like Reagan lost the tossup state of Minnesota in 1984?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »

WV at Lean Republican is rather amusing.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »

Why is it amusing?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 10:38:28 PM »

Because it's not a Republican state, and the GOP candidate will likely be much worse for the state than Bush in 2004 (especially Giuliani, who is about as awful as you can get for a candidate for WV. He's at the polar opposite with it on almost every issue)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:05 AM »

I'd have to disagree with you in part.  West Virginia is unlikely to go for the Democratic candidate more strongly than the national PV goes in a strictly two-party race.  I do have to wonder about the 66 of 174 predictions that have it as a Strong GOP state though.  Absent a third party that fractures the anti-GOPers I can't see WV as any better than Lean GOP.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »

I'd have to disagree with you in part.  West Virginia is unlikely to go for the Democratic candidate more strongly than the national PV goes in a strictly two-party race.  I do have to wonder about the 66 of 174 predictions that have it as a Strong GOP state though.  Absent a third party that fractures the anti-GOPers I can't see WV as any better than Lean GOP.

Based on what? Against a cultural conservative I can understand this argument though it is still rather flawed, but what appeal does Giuliani have in West Virginia?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 03:32:58 PM »

Why bring Rudy into this?  While I won't be shocked if he gets the nom, I doubt he will.  With his probable second place in the delegate totals, Rudy may well be the person that the nominee picks to "balance" the ticket, especially if a non-ex-Governor such as Thompson or McCain gets the nom, but basing GP predictions on Giuliani being the nominee is not a good idea right now.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »

It's been two weeks since I last did this:

Here are the States that would need 10 or fewer of the existing 197 predictions to be changed to affect the map (assuming my idea of how the results are being tabulated is correct).  Only the changes marked below in bold would affect the line graph:

Delaware: 6 (-2 from last time) Weak D or lower to Strong D would change the prediction from Weak D to Strong D.

Hawaii: 6 (+4 from last time) Strong D to Weak D or less would change the prediction from Strong D to Weak D.

Missouri: 7 (-1 from last time) Tossup or lower to Weak R or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak R.

New Hampshire:8 (+5 from last time) Weak D or higher to Tossup or less would change the prediction from Weak D to Tossup.

Pennsylvania: 3 (-1 from last time) Tossup or lower to Weak D or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak D.

Florida and Minnesota were within range if a change in their strength prediction, but no longer are.

Colorado, Missouri, Nevada, and Texas were within range of a change in their percentage prediction, but no longer are.

Net changes in the predictions over the past two weeks have overall seen a slight change towards the Democrats.  Some of the change is due to the increase in sample size, but not all.  Still from here on out, my threshold for looking at which States are susceptible to a change in prediction will be 5% of the sample size rounded to the nearest integer, with halves rounded to the nearest even integer.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 11:54:28 PM »

It's been two weeks since I last did this:

Here are the States that would need 10 or fewer of the existing 197 predictions to be changed to affect the map (assuming my idea of how the results are being tabulated is correct).  Only the changes marked below in bold would affect the line graph:

Delaware: 6 (-2 from last time) Weak D or lower to Strong D would change the prediction from Weak D to Strong D.

Hawaii: 6 (+4 from last time) Strong D to Weak D or less would change the prediction from Strong D to Weak D.

Missouri: 7 (-1 from last time) Tossup or lower to Weak R or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak R.

New Hampshire:8 (+5 from last time) Weak D or higher to Tossup or less would change the prediction from Weak D to Tossup.

Pennsylvania: 3 (-1 from last time) Tossup or lower to Weak D or higher would change the prediction from Tossup to Weak D.

Florida and Minnesota were within range if a change in their strength prediction, but no longer are.

Colorado, Missouri, Nevada, and Texas were within range of a change in their percentage prediction, but no longer are.

Net changes in the predictions over the past two weeks have overall seen a slight change towards the Democrats.  Some of the change is due to the increase in sample size, but not all.  Still from here on out, my threshold for looking at which States are susceptible to a change in prediction will be 5% of the sample size rounded to the nearest integer, with halves rounded to the nearest even integer.

thanks for keeping tabs on this Ernest.  Its very interesting.  Smiley
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 10:49:57 PM »

(PA lean Dem now) Well, there goes the stagnation...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 02:10:19 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2007, 02:13:12 AM by Ernest »

Strange, there is still less than a majority of predictions that have Pennsylvania as either lean or strong Dem, yet the State now shows as lean Dem.  By the method I'd use to make the determination, it's a Tossup for the median prediction, since a lean Dem would need that majority to be called as lean Dem.

198 Predictions

98 D (of which 25 are strong)
92 Tossup
7 R
1 I
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »

Strange, there is still less than a majority of predictions that have Pennsylvania as either lean or strong Dem, yet the State now shows as lean Dem.  By the method I'd use to make the determination, it's a Tossup for the median prediction, since a lean Dem would need that majority to be called as lean Dem.

198 Predictions

98 D (of which 25 are strong)
92 Tossup
7 R
1 I

just might take a little bit to update, the last two tossup predictions were within the last hour or so, the last one was within the last 20 minutes, which is what actually moves it back to tossup
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 02:26:40 AM »

Don't expect anything other than flukey movements until:

1-We have a clue who the nominees will be and
2-State polls start to come out regularly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies