Eurovision controversies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:29:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eurovision controversies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Eurovision controversies  (Read 2239 times)
kyc0705

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2024, 04:28:24 PM »

Also, there's simply no chance the American Idol comparison was meant as a compliment.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2024, 04:31:17 PM »

This whole event is hijacked, and i think we will see many nations withdrawing or retiring from the competition next year.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2024, 04:50:45 PM »

The EBU is not the European Union though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2024, 05:01:32 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2024, 05:05:31 PM by OSR stands with Israel »

We're talking about this

but half of conservacord is gonna vote for someone who doesn't recognise Crimea as part of Ukraine. And OSR even calls her an example of American culture, while she embodies that of Russia.

Dude I’m not even going to vote for her as it costs money to do so and I’m not paying for a silly competition and i am probably more pro Israel than 80% of conservacord (maybe more ).

Someone just said her song sounded like one you’d see from American idol so I was like that’s awesome

Someone just said... You haven't even listened to it yourself, before already deciding you wanted it to win.

Secondly, neither have you listened to any other songs (or their background stories). Luxembourg also has a Israeli-Luxembourgian artist performing and no-one talks about her because she represents the flag of Luxembourg for instance.

I really dont care about this competition to watch it or vote in it. Anyway usually for European competitions i root for England and if not for all the protests would this time too. But since I dont care for the actual competition, I am going off that .

For example I do care about the World Cup so if it was England vs Israel, id root for England regardless
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2024, 05:51:02 PM »

No controversy. The best song won. As it deserved to. 🇨🇭🇨🇭🇨🇭
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2024, 05:58:37 PM »

Technically it was best song. As was France. I'm glad the public liked it too.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2024, 06:01:40 PM »

Israel’s got a lukewarm reception among the professional juries, while it have come second in audience score after Croatia and before Ukraine, the winner Switzerland would only have gotten a fifth place if only the audience voted.

UK got zero point among the audience, I would say it was surprising except I think the song deserved minus point. It was the worst song in the show.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2024, 06:03:42 PM »

Technically it was best song. As was France. I'm glad the public liked it too.

It was a boring song, I think the Croatian song was vastly better. I would have placed the Swiss song in the middle of the field.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2024, 06:22:49 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2024, 06:26:02 PM by Zinneke »

Croatia was robbed and the contest skewered by political voting. Weirdly enough it allowed a jury favorite with enough "LGBTQI capital" to get votes with the public to win. Had Israel not entered or people stayed sane about them entering and judged the song, Croatia is the objective winner. A masterpiece that tells the story of so many Europeans forced to leave their rural homes sell their cows and pets and to go pay some fat sex trafficking landlord 1.2k euros a month to work their arse off in a bullsh**t job, listening to urban, overproduced tosh that we heard from the Swiss entry.

This entire show was an example of how Feckless, Artificial , Big Capital Calvinist Europe wins against the rural poor Catholic minority (real minority) vanguard waiting to be unleashed.

I WANT TO GO TO WAR WITH BABY LASAGNA
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2024, 06:23:53 PM »

Croatia was robbed and the contest skewered by political voting. Weirdly enough it allowed a jury favorite with enough "LGBTQI capital" to get votes with the public to win. Had Israel not entered or people stayed sane about them entering and judged the song, Croatia is the objective winner. A masterpiece that tells the story of so many Europeans forced to leave their rural homes sell their cows and pets and to go pay some fat sex trafficking landlord 1.2k euros a month to work their arse off in a bullsh**t job, listening to urban, overproduced tosh that we heard from the Swiss entry.

This entire show was an example of how Feckless, Artificial , Big Capital Europe wins against the rural poor Catholic minority (real minority) vanguard waiting to be unleashed.
This and unironically.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2024, 01:36:01 AM »

Has anyone noticed the biggest controversy here? It's not Israel-Palestine When I was talking about real minorities, I was referencing the fact that the Croat act is from Istria. And yet while Switzerland was allowed to market their entire act of identity politics, had the nice gentleman from Istria flown the Istrian flag, he would have been banned. Also, someone was blocked from bringing an EU flag. To a Eurovision song contest.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2024, 02:23:48 AM »

Has anyone noticed the biggest controversy here? It's not Israel-Palestine When I was talking about real minorities, I was referencing the fact that the Croat act is from Istria. And yet while Switzerland was allowed to market their entire act of identity politics, had the nice gentleman from Istria flown the Istrian flag, he would have been banned. Also, someone was blocked from bringing an EU flag. To a Eurovision song contest.

It’s part of the Israel-Palestine controversy, it was to avoid turning the show into a even bigger clown show by having people bringing Palestinian or worse Hamas flags in.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2024, 04:09:12 AM »

It’s part of the Israel-Palestine controversy, it was to avoid turning the show into a even bigger clown show by having people bringing Palestinian or worse Hamas flags in.

Oh yeah the EU and Istrian flags are definitely comparable to bringing a Hamas flag.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2024, 05:24:51 AM »

Israel’s got a lukewarm reception among the professional juries, while it have come second in audience score after Croatia and before Ukraine, the winner Switzerland would only have gotten a fifth place if only the audience voted.

UK got zero point among the audience, I would say it was surprising except I think the song deserved minus point. It was the worst song in the show.

Well Western Europe def voted en masse for Israel.

It's just Eastern Europe didn't, instead going for Croatia and/or Ukraine. And given Israel didn't win the televote but had far more twelve points, there are definitely some anomalies were Israel did perform much worse among the public vote.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2024, 05:28:44 AM »

This entire show was an example of how Feckless, Artificial , Big Capital Calvinist Europe wins against the rural poor Catholic minority (real minority) vanguard waiting to be unleashed.

I WANT TO GO TO WAR WITH BABY LASAGNA

Croatia definitely would have gotten more points since less people would have voted for Israël (and if people actually voted for the music), Croatia would have done better.

Israel was favoured to win the tele vote by the bookies with a 1.4 odd. Croatia had a 3.0, Croatia narrowly won. Israel probably won the tele vote if it wasn't divided by country since it was pretty clear they've won convincingly in some countries but the vote for them was very concentrated.

And they didn't do well with the jury vote either.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2024, 05:37:06 AM »

From the finnish television
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2024, 05:43:01 AM »

The televoting for Israel from other countries that didn't give 12 points

In Ukraine the reason being that most people there knew that Eden came from Russia and performed in Crimea which was probably the reason here. Armenia might also be political since it supported Azerbaijan.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2024, 05:48:25 AM »

How Israel gave points is also interesting.

Only country to give 12 points to Luxembourg (in jury) and also 12 points to them via televoting obviously the singer of Luxembourg was Israeli-Luxembourgian.

The propaganda against some also worked since quite a few were harrassed like Greece, Spain, the Netherlands and Ireland in particular by the Israeli delegation.

No points to Switzerland from televoting either, due to the LGBTQ connection.

8 points to Germany which no country did give them more points than Israel, that also being political due to Germany's support of Israel.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2024, 06:09:58 AM »

Well 23 maybe because of Luxembourg, but the point is still valid.

And countries like Germany and UK wouldn't be chosen as well. UK actually got 0 points from televoting.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2024, 06:21:45 AM »

Croatia, Ireland, Norway, Austria, Finland, and Armenia were the favorites of the party I watched with.

Personally I voted for Ireland, I liked that they did something other than the typical bubbly pop stuff you always get at Eurovision, and the performance was captivating.

I really appreciated that Croatia and Armenia blended folk costumes and modern music.

Finland's definitely took the cake in terms of entertainment value.

Switzerland winning was pretty blatant identity politics guilt-tripping. That was not a good song at all. Croatia was ROBBED.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2024, 06:23:00 AM »

Oh yeah the EU and Istrian flags are definitely comparable to bringing a Hamas flag.

It was a last moment decision in a pretty chaotic landscape, the ban was obvious not meant to be extended to EU or regional European flags, but when you’re dealing with security guards you give them a list of what is banned rather than letting them use their own judgment.

So get over it and move on.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2024, 06:24:08 AM »

Well Western Europe def voted en masse for Israel.

It's just Eastern Europe didn't, instead going for Croatia and/or Ukraine. And given Israel didn't win the televote but had far more twelve points, there are definitely some anomalies were Israel did perform much worse among the public vote.

Outside Ukraine and Croatia every single East European country voted for Israel.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2024, 06:28:46 AM »

It was a last moment decision in a pretty chaotic landscape, the ban was obvious not meant to be extended to EU or regional European flags, but when you’re dealing with security guards you give them a list of what is banned rather than letting them use their own judgment.

You shouldn't treat any of my posts in this thread too seriously (apart from the first one - I maintain that the Israeli delegation were just as embarrassing as the people wanting to make some grand stand against them)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2024, 09:56:52 AM »

Which is why the solution was to let Palestinian flags in and let Israel throw a tantrum and pull out.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2024, 10:30:23 AM »

Can't believe so many are becoming so intoxicated by Israel "winning" so many countries (well I can actually, but still) indeed it is rare that one sees a starker illustration of FPTP in all its "glory".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies