Gravedigger McConnell comes out in favor of deceptive election deepfakes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:42:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gravedigger McConnell comes out in favor of deceptive election deepfakes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gravedigger McConnell comes out in favor of deceptive election deepfakes  (Read 292 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2024, 12:19:12 AM »

McConnell opposes bill to ban use of deceptive AI to influence elections
"The American Republic may be in her grave, but she's still twitching, and we haven't filled the dirt in yet," he said, before launching a palsied swing of his shovel at America's bleeding scalp. "I've been trying to murder this country for 50 years, and I'll see her dead if it kills me."

Oops, sorry - that was the answer I got from Google's Gemini when I asked it, "How would a truthful article describe Moscow Mitch's thoughts on the Constitution of the United States of America?". A quote from the actual article text is below.

“The core question we’re facing is whether or not politicians should have another tool to take down speech they don’t like,” he said. “But if the amendment before us extends this authority to unpaid political speech, then we’re also talking about an extension of speech regulation that has not happened in the 50 years of our modern campaign finance regime.”

The Protect Elections from Deceptive AI Act, which would ban the use of AI to create misleading content, is backed by Senate Rules Committee Chair Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and Sens. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) and Pete Ricketts (R-Neb.).
Obama24
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 02:26:16 AM »

I have to back McConnell on this. Make a more specific bill that is specific in targeting in political figures only, word it carefully and I might support it. As of now, I enjoy my AI content (political and not). There are fun videos of Biden, Obama, and Trump gaming together. Everyone knows they're fake. A bill like that would ban fun stuff like that.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 06:18:13 AM »

You absolutely hate to hand it to him but McConnell is obviously right. We already have legal mechanisms to combat false campaign speech, we don't need a new and expansive First Amendment exception that'll be enforced by prosecutors and judges with the technological literacy of turnips
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 06:34:37 AM »

I have a hard time seeing a law that would comport with the First Amendment.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 08:09:34 AM »

Unfortunately this is needed because there are many, many Americans who cannot tell the difference between AI and reality.
This should go much broader than political speech. AI needs to be tightly controlled and regulated. It has the potential to, and may have already, been used in telephone scams and phishing attacks. Facebook is replete with sh**tty AI art that boomers cannot tell is fake (as in - can't recognize they aren't pictures of real people.)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 08:25:23 AM »

Unfortunately this is needed because there are many, many Americans who cannot tell the difference between AI and reality.
This should go much broader than political speech. AI needs to be tightly controlled and regulated. It has the potential to, and may have already, been used in telephone scams and phishing attacks. Facebook is replete with sh**tty AI art that boomers cannot tell is fake (as in - can't recognize they aren't pictures of real people.)

My concern with all the upcoming state and federal AI bills is that we're just going to throw harsh sentences at everyone who uses AI for its obvious intended purposes (and yes, Big Tech designed these tools to steal people's identities and scam people) and then do nothing to hold anyone accountable for forcing this garbage onto us.

The campaign thing seems like a fairly easy (relatively speaking) problem to address, but most AI issues are not. We are going to see some incredibly draconian laws in response to the problems AI creates and its going to be the American people who suffer for it, not OpenAI.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 08:30:08 AM »

My concern with all the upcoming state and federal AI bills is that we're just going to throw harsh sentences at everyone who uses AI for its obvious intended purposes (and yes, Big Tech designed these tools to steal people's identities and scam people) and then do nothing to hold anyone accountable for forcing this garbage onto us.

The campaign thing seems like a fairly easy (relatively speaking) problem to address, but most AI issues are not. We are going to see some incredibly draconian laws in response to the problems AI creates and its going to be the American people who suffer for it, not OpenAI.

That's a fair concern. I definitely have no expectation that our current legislature will address this in an intelligent, effective way.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 03:40:14 PM »

Trouble is, that includes people who would be tasked with enforcing these laws
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 03:43:09 PM »

I have to back McConnell on this. Make a more specific bill that is specific in targeting in political figures only, word it carefully and I might support it. As of now, I enjoy my AI content (political and not). There are fun videos of Biden, Obama, and Trump gaming together. Everyone knows they're fake. A bill like that would ban fun stuff like that.

I feel like this is the sort of thing we have cartoons for?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024, 05:20:30 PM »

I feel like this is the sort of thing we have cartoons for?

Don't even bother trying to converse with the AI people. I'm sorry if this counts as a personal attack, but the type of mind that enjoys listening to AI voices talk about video games is not the type that can contribute anything to a conversation. It's about on par with enjoying TLC reality shows as far as red flags go.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies