Alito's house had "Stop the Steal" symbol on display
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alito's house had "Stop the Steal" symbol on display
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Alito's house had "Stop the Steal" symbol on display  (Read 1917 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2024, 05:00:07 PM »

It's telling that he threw his wife under the bus. Not once do conservatives ever take responsibility, they always find someone else to blame even if it's family.

& quite literally at that!

I spoke directly with Justice #Alito about the flag story in the NYT.  In addition to what's in the story, he told me a neighbor on their street had a "F--- Trump" sign that was within 50 feet of where children await the school bus in Jan 21.  Mrs. Alito brought this up with the neighbor.

According to Justice Alito, things escalated and the neighbor put up a sign personally addressing Mrs. Alito and blaming her for the Jan 6th attacks.

Justice Alito says he and his wife were walking in the neighborhood and there were words between Mrs. Alito and a male at the home with the sign.  Alito says the man engaged in vulgar language, "including the c-word".

Following that exchange, Mrs. Alito was distraught and hung the flag upside down "for a short time".  Justice Alito says some neighbors on his street are "very political" and acknowledges it was a very heated time in January 2021.

"Believe me, 'Mrs.' Alito was just so distraught at our neighbors thinking of us as kind & well-liked. The bare minimum requires bringing the c-word into the discussion! Don't they know why I'm such a crotchety old man!?"
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2024, 09:55:18 PM »

So Alito made-up a bunch of BS excuses, and shamefully involved his own wife and neighbors.
Why am I not surprised.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2024, 12:31:03 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2024, 12:37:08 PM »

I definitely don't find it "impossible" to believe those things. (I assume what he means is the he thinks it's impossible that Alito would know that. Which I also disagree with.) If he said they flew the flag upside down by mistake and corrected it as soon as they realized it that's one thing and we could debate the likelihood of that, but that's not what he said lol.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2024, 03:57:02 PM »

Upside-down flag is the universal symbol of distress. It has also (ironically) reportedly been used as a protest against the decision that overturned Roe v Wade. I know the date and time of when the flag was flown matters, but this is ridiculous.

It was also common after Trump was elected in 2016.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2024, 05:28:49 PM »

Upside-down flag is the universal symbol of distress. It has also (ironically) reportedly been used as a protest against the decision that overturned Roe v Wade. I know the date and time of when the flag was flown matters, but this is ridiculous.

Exactly my point, there's no need to read into this as anything more than a statement of displeasure at the result. Now, that does raise another question about whether that kind of statement is appropriate from a Supreme Court Justice, but it's not the same as supporting "Stop the Steal".
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2024, 05:41:50 PM »

This wasn't the day after the election or something. It was January 17, and after the insurrection. Again, he's not even saying it wasn't connected to Stop the Steal.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2024, 06:58:19 PM »

Exactly my point, there's no need to read into this as anything more than a statement of displeasure at the result. Now, that does raise another question about whether that kind of statement is appropriate from a Supreme Court Justice, but it's not the same as supporting "Stop the Steal".

Alito isn't an unknown quantity we are just getting acquainted with. He's been a SCOTUS justice almost twenty years. Everybody but the most naive understands what the meaning of this gesture was.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2024, 09:05:58 PM »

Alito can't even make a point like "the Constitution doesn't say anything special about abortion" without turning it into a hundred-page culture war screed, so nobody should be at all surprised about this. The man is a half-step shy of being Reaganfan with a JD.

That's part of what disturbs me most about this Court. As a constitutional matter, I can fully understand not liking Roe, but there were four other Justices that fully signed on to Alito's opinion in Dobbs. Alito's been on the Court for nearly two decades now and I cannot think of a single opinion of his that stands out to my liking. Even though I have profound disagreements with Thomas, his staunch originalism can sometimes line up to my own views of the Constitution. I definitely share your view that Alito's opinions are poor on top of being awful. I didn't agree with most of Scalia's jurisprudence, but I can't say he wasn't a fascinating Justice or a bad writer (though his blatant homophobia was unfortunate). I can pick out great opinions from nearly every Justice, but I can't do that with Alito.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2024, 10:12:33 PM »

I truly hate the what if this happened to a lib game but it sotomayor or jackson flew a ACAB flag or something similar in that vein the house gop would have them impeached in an hour
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2024, 07:10:19 AM »

Alito is the most hacky Republican on the court, so I’m not surprised.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2024, 08:11:47 AM »

I'd imagine traitors wouldn't see the problem.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2024, 12:40:22 PM »

This wasn't the day after the election or something. It was January 17, and after the insurrection. Again, he's not even saying it wasn't connected to Stop the Steal.

He's saying it was connected to a dispute with a neighbor.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2024, 12:50:14 PM »

It can both be about a dispute with a neighbor and represent Stop the Steal.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2024, 03:29:14 PM »

Alito can't even make a point like "the Constitution doesn't say anything special about abortion" without turning it into a hundred-page culture war screed, so nobody should be at all surprised about this. The man is a half-step shy of being Reaganfan with a JD.

If Robert Bork were alive today, on the one hand he'd surely feel vindicated and gratified by the direction the federal judiciary has gone, but on the other hand he'd be kicking himself for, during his confirmation hearings, making the fatal mistake of being truthful about his views.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2024, 03:56:53 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/22/us/justice-alito-flag-appeal-to-heaven.html

Prob didn't know about this flag either I'm guessing
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2024, 04:26:59 PM »

No excuse given this time, hmm.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2024, 04:30:45 PM »

Crazy that he threw his wife under the bus. Literally any other response would have been more respectable.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2024, 04:31:10 PM »

He was clearly appealing to heaven for relief from annoying hippie beach-cleaners, duh!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2024, 01:18:34 AM »

That's part of what disturbs me most about this Court. As a constitutional matter, I can fully understand not liking Roe, but there were four other Justices that fully signed on to Alito's opinion in Dobbs. Alito's been on the Court for nearly two decades now and I cannot think of a single opinion of his that stands out to my liking. Even though I have profound disagreements with Thomas, his staunch originalism can sometimes line up to my own views of the Constitution. I definitely share your view that Alito's opinions are poor on top of being awful. I didn't agree with most of Scalia's jurisprudence, but I can't say he wasn't a fascinating Justice or a bad writer (though his blatant homophobia was unfortunate). I can pick out great opinions from nearly every Justice, but I can't do that with Alito.

The opinions of Alito, Thomas and the rest of the illegitimate Roberts Court are beside the point. I don't care how good or bad their jurisprudence is - that's not what makes the Roberts Court illegitimate.

Alito and Thomas have both accepted bribes, and ruled on cases where they had clear conflicts of interest, including an attempted coup.

Kavanaugh, at best, has gotten hundreds of thousands of dollar from family members who are also lobbyists.

Amy Coney Barret occupies a stolen seat, benefits from conflicts of interest, and belongs to a religious sect that proclaims her subordinate her to her husband.

Setting aside the other Justices flaws as Justices, they all sit there and normalize all of this, day in and day out. "Good people" who legitimize corrupt institutions are not doing good, no matter their intentions.

The legitimacy of the Supreme Court was on shaky ground when Roberts became its Chief Justice. Under his supervision, that shaky legitimacy has burned to the ground while everyone goes around pretending that decisions coming from a bunch of clearly bribed "Justices" (whether the bribery is technically legal or not is utterly beside the point) ought to be treated seriously, instead of being the legal equivalent of smoking studies funded by tobacco companies, or global warming denialism funded by oil companies.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2024, 01:15:03 PM »

Hey guys, I think I found Alito's car.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2024, 12:58:13 PM »

It's weird flags associated with the American Revolution are inherently suspect now as being anti-American or whatever.  First the Gadsden Flag, now the Pine Tree Flag.  Which one's next?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2024, 12:59:11 PM »

Hey guys, I think I found Alito's car.

Most sane Connecticut resident.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2024, 01:31:47 PM »

It's weird flags associated with the American Revolution are inherently suspect now as being anti-American or whatever.  First the Gadsden Flag, now the Pine Tree Flag.  Which one's next?

The Nazis did that by co-opting the flags in question. Don't play dumb.
Same thing with the Eureka flag in Australia.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2024, 11:12:57 AM »

Interesting to see WaPo bury their embarrassing cover-up of 3-year-old news on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies