House passes bill that would defund US military if weapons aren't sent to Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:43:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House passes bill that would defund US military if weapons aren't sent to Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House passes bill that would defund US military if weapons aren't sent to Israel  (Read 642 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2024, 02:51:47 PM »

Schumer will not be bringing this to a Senate vote. Still, pretty crazy, right? 16 Democrats and all but three Republicans would happily throw every single American to the wolves to protect Israel. If this were any other country there would be near unanimous nationwide opposition.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 02:53:33 PM »

Jesus H Christ

This is definitely the way to prove your a rational and sane party… destroy your military if you don’t get what you want.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 02:55:25 PM »

This is insane spin on the bill. It would just require the DOD to spend the money regardless of what the President wants
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 02:57:30 PM »

GOP no votes - Davidson, MTG, Massie
Dem yea votes - Cartwright, Craig, Cuellar, Davis, Frankel, MGP, Golden, Gottheimer, Landsman, Moskowitz, Pallone, Peltola, Scott, Soto, Suozzi, Torres
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 03:27:30 PM »

Stripping the President of the authority to withhold weapons that were specifically authorized by Congress is a reasonable proposal. The fact that this stick was included is how you know it's sponsored by the Republicans.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 03:37:09 PM »

First, House Republicans want to defund the police (FBI), now the military? The ads write themselves.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 03:38:06 PM »

I wonder when will some journalist grow a pair and ask these morons whether they were elected to serve the American or the Israeli interests.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 03:42:56 PM »

I wonder when will some journalist grow a pair and ask these morons whether they were elected to serve the American or the Israeli interests.

So much for the "America First" Party.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 05:45:45 PM »

At this point, the US and Israeli military are intertwined in a massive intelligence gathering operation over about 4 to 5 countries.

The point is probably that the US has no soldiers on the ground at the moment in Israel or Ukraine. Hence, it's probably better to fund these other agents or proxies.

As long as the weapons get built in the US, it's a win-win for both parties.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024, 09:49:39 PM »

And yet many military personnel in our nation, continue to support everything the Republicans do.
Go figure.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2024, 11:31:27 PM »

Dem yea votes - Cartwright, Craig, Cuellar, Davis, Frankel, MGP, Golden, Gottheimer, Landsman, Moskowitz, Pallone, Peltola, Scott, Soto, Suozzi, Torres

I understand most of the Democratic defectors on this vote (particularly in the NY area and FL), but I really don't understand the Blue Dogs. Is this really that salient of an issue in some of those districts? Or is it just an easy way for some of them to burnish their bipartisan credentials in tougher districts by voting against the President on a bill that will never become law?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 11:42:04 PM »

I understand most of the Democratic defectors on this vote (particularly in the NY area and FL), but I really don't understand the Blue Dogs. Is this really that salient of an issue in some of those districts? Or is it just an easy way for some of them to burnish their bipartisan credentials in tougher districts by voting against the President on a bill that will never become law?

It's an easy way to take batting practice against the Squad and the campus mobs, as well as push back against an unpopular President who they might want to distance themselves from in swing districts, all the while knowing that Schumer won't even let it come to a vote so there's no risk of it passing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2024, 03:26:27 AM »

That's why they are gonna lose their majority they take up bills that are meaningless.

Cashew
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2024, 01:13:47 PM »

I dont think they realize just how easy they are making it to promote anti Semitism when you virtue signal in such an extreme manner that would get you labeled a traitor if you vowed unconditional support to Mexico or Sri Lanka. Unconditional support is by it's very definition treason.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2024, 01:16:08 PM »

I dont think they realize just how easy they are making it to promote anti Semitism when you virtue signal in such an extreme manner that would get you labeled a traitor if you vowed unconditional support to Mexico or Sri Lanka.

I'm pretty sure that's the logic behind a good portion of Republican support for stuff like this. Since many want all the Jews in Israel for the end times, political reasons etc. indirectly promoting antisemitism everywhere else helps a lot.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2024, 01:32:09 PM »

I dont think they realize just how easy they are making it to promote anti Semitism when you virtue signal in such an extreme manner that would get you labeled a traitor if you vowed unconditional support to Mexico or Sri Lanka.

I'm pretty sure that's the logic behind a good portion of Republican support for stuff like this. Since many want all the Jews in Israel for the end times, political reasons etc. indirectly promoting antisemitism everywhere else helps a lot.

I wonder how the bloviators would react if the fbi decided to troll them and pay them a visit to ask if they were willing to violete federal law for Israel since since they love using the word unconditional so much.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2024, 02:04:51 PM »

I dont think they realize just how easy they are making it to promote anti Semitism when you virtue signal in such an extreme manner that would get you labeled a traitor if you vowed unconditional support to Mexico or Sri Lanka. Unconditional support is by it's very definition treason.

Just think about that: a few years ago Republicans questioned Raul Grijalva's patriotism because he had a Mexican flag in his office.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2024, 02:05:37 PM »

I wonder how the bloviators would react if the fbi decided to troll them and pay them a visit to ask if they were willing to violete federal law for Israel since since they love using the word unconditional so much.

It is not a violation of federal law to propose a law, and the proper response to the FBI being sent to intimidate members of Congress would be a hasty impeachment. Thankfully, Joe Biden is not a stupid man.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2024, 02:43:52 PM »

It is not a violation of federal law to propose a law, and the proper response to the FBI being sent to intimidate members of Congress would be a hasty impeachment. Thankfully, Joe Biden is not a stupid man.

I wasn't referring to proposing laws in this case but the common use of the term "unconditional" by those that favor this bill, obviously the FBI won't be pulling any stunts like that as amusing as it might be to watch them stutter. That said as a hypothetical, if I was a legislator and I constantly used the word unconditional support in regards to my relationship with El Salvador I do think it's reasonable to ask whether or not I support violating various laws for the benefit of El Salvador since the term "unconditional" forbids the existence of any red lines.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2024, 04:26:00 PM »

At this point, the US and Israeli military are intertwined in a massive intelligence gathering operation over about 4 to 5 countries

The point is probably that the US has no soldiers on the ground at the moment in Israel or Ukraine. Hence, it's probably better to fund these other agents or proxies.

What does sending Israel more weapons have to do with intelligence gathering?

And what does padding the profits of US defense contractors have to do with intelligence gathering?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2024, 04:33:58 PM »

Dumb performative BS is dumb performative BS.  News at 11:00.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2024, 06:37:13 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/16/us/politics/house-bill-reverse-israel-arms-pause.html

“Israel has one friend in the world; it cannot afford to have only half of one friend,” said Representative Brad Sherman, Democrat of California. Including language in the bill that condemned the Biden administration by name, he said, was a purposeful effort by Republicans to “get as little Democratic support as possible.”

[...]

The measure would compel the delivery of approved defense articles and services to Israel within 15 days of enactment. It also threatens to cut off funding for the Defense Department, the State Department and the National Security Council until the arms that have been suspended have been delivered. And it would reaffirm Israel’s right to defend itself.

The title is accurate. They chose to write the bill in this way. You can't play a game like this and have it both ways.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2024, 06:48:26 PM »

That's a feature and not a bug for the lunatics running this country.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2024, 07:14:21 PM »

At this point, the US and Israeli military are intertwined in a massive intelligence gathering operation over about 4 to 5 countries

What does sending Israel more weapons have to do with intelligence gathering?

And what does padding the profits of US defense contractors have to do with intelligence gathering?

I will let Benjamin Netanyahu explain it for you.

Interview about Israeli Intelligence Benefits for the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-sICNOmqvo
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2024, 10:31:15 PM »

Who knew that MTG was one of the 3 sanest Republicans?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies