Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:51:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Backlash over NFL player Harrison Butker’s commencement speech has reached a new level  (Read 2506 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2024, 08:05:22 PM »

He says being a mom is more important than having a career or education, but being a father isn't? These guys never seem to value fatherhood much.

If someone said being a father was more important than your job or education there wouldn't be one single person complaining about it.

He's a man whose job is to play games. He should not be lecturing anyone about doing important things with their lives. Plus he's talking to an audience of people who went to college presumably to do more than be stay-at-home parents.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2024, 08:52:21 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2024, 08:56:19 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Drew Brees said the samething about Pride mnth, I am not saying someone is gay but thesei millionaire athletes get their women like Trump from their money

What else is he gonna say, I don't have kids but we all come from females and they deserve respect

Trump has millions of Dollars, Thomas did Clinton and Biden have millions and misused women all of them because they got money.

Marriage is a rich person thing now all my grammar school friends that have a family got money
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2024, 08:57:49 PM »

What else is he gonna say, I don't have kids but we all come from females and they deserve respect

We all come from the blck pharaohs and hbrw queens if you trace it back far enough. Also Lucy and King Tut.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2024, 09:05:46 PM »

He's a man whose job is to play games. He should not be lecturing anyone about doing important things with their lives. Plus he's talking to an audience of people who went to college presumably to do more than be stay-at-home parents.

What makes it even more pathetic is that most of the women in his family have accomplished careers.

His mother is a medical physicist. His sister is a physician's assistant. His aunt is a senior VP at an insurance company.

He clearly has zero respect for them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2024, 09:12:36 PM »

We all come from the blck pharaohs and hbrw queens if you trace it back far enough. Also Lucy and King Tut.

If you look at a cave man he has blk features that proves Jews had blk in them, and Arabs and Asians because Samoans are part Asian and they look blk
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2024, 09:14:33 PM »

Strangely satisfying to know there are men out there who somehow feel threatened by women like me, who will contribute far more to the world than they can ever dream Purple heart

"Get in the kitchen "Doctor" PQG and make me a sandwich, then get in the bedroom for some godly impregnation." (Harrison Butker, most likely.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2024, 09:18:07 PM »

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial.

Because that isn't the point he was making.

You mean that’s not the point that you read in?

From a Facebook friend:

Here's a theology lesson: For Christians,the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament presents (among other things) guidelines on how YOU should live... not on how you should control how OTHERS live. Any ‘church” that teaches otherwise is one you should run from.

If the New Testament gives guidelines on how you should live, those same guidelines can be applied to others. Your Facebook friend posted gibberish.

Talk more when you are ready to give up your career and dreams so that your- checks notes - life can start by being a homemaker, father, and husband. After all, according to Harrison butker you've been fed the greatest lies in the world by saying that you can achieve more satisfaction in life outside of those roles.

I mean, are we waiting for him to retire to take up those roles tomorrow? Or is he just selling some double standard BS dressed up as Christian piety?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2024, 09:18:26 PM »

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial.

From a Facebook friend:

Here's a theology lesson: For Christians,the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament presents (among other things) guidelines on how YOU should live... not on how you should control how OTHERS live. Any ‘church” that teaches otherwise is one you should run from.

If the New Testament gives guidelines on how you should live, those same guidelines can be applied to others. Your Facebook friend posted gibberish.

Yeah incel garbage about how women in the workforce is a "diabolical lie" should definitely be read charitably... and LOL at your response to Lyndon. You have no license to force your crap beliefs on other people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2024, 09:22:37 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Yeah incel garbage about how women in the workforce is a "diabolical lie" should definitely be read charitably... and LOL at your response to Lyndon. You have no license to force your crap beliefs on other people.

I’m not forcing my beliefs on anyone, nor is Mr. Butker. This speech by a conservative Catholic at a conservative Catholic university should have never been widely publicized. It’s your media that’s forcing his beliefs on you!

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial. I’d think that the parts where he explicitly attacks political and church leaders would get more attention.

Why did he only reference women ? Why not take to ask fathers and males for their roles in parenting ? Cathoilc Teaching clearly emphasizes the role of both men and women, both the husband and the wife in creating a happy stable environment for their children. To get more theological, they are both pursuing holiness.

He addresses men after he addresses women. You can find the full text of his speech here: https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine?amp

Kindly don't falsely portray Butters remarks as somehow merely being representative of anything resembling "conservative" or "Catholic" views. Particularly those of the college at which he delivered his address. Here is the colleges response to his half-assed remarks which represent neither.

https://hayspost.com/posts/0a29a41f-bcc0-42e1-8d2d-2b5426aaa991

Dare I say this is the most kind, even loving way of charitably saying " Harrison butker is a chode".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2024, 09:23:16 PM »

He says being a mom is more important than having a career or education, but being a father isn't? These guys never seem to value fatherhood much.

And I will say, this is a criticism that I can get behind; raising children is far more valuable than slaving away for a soulless corporation that doesn't care about you or respect you. Food needs to be put on the table, but at the end of the day people need to understand how much family actually matters.

Cool. So you'll be quitting your job tomorrow so that your life can hyphen checks notes - actually start being a homemaker, father, and husband?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2024, 09:24:21 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Did he say that women should be mandated to have children and be banned from working outside the home? And if not then how is him communicating Christian teachings at a religious institution all that different than Jesus doing the same? I get the sense that this person would have the exact same reaction to hearing Jesus speak, which makes this opinion entirely worthless to Christians.

He called women working a "diabolical lie." I get why you're defending that here given your own awful previous comments on how you view the role of women in society.
I can tell you it is very un-Christlike, which is common amongst especially zealous religious converts who are attracted to an ideology rather than a faith.

I read it as him calling women focusing on careers over family a diabolical lie. And as I said above, his chief error was not extending that to men too. He did speak about the importance of men in the household, but mostly in the context of not being absentee fathers. A father should as a matter of course put his family before his career and not waste his life being a slave for corporate masters who don't care about him.

That. Was. NOT. Accidental. Or. Incidental.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2024, 09:26:53 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

Did he say that women should be mandated to have children and be banned from working outside the home? And if not then how is him communicating Christian teachings at a religious institution all that different than Jesus doing the same? I get the sense that this person would have the exact same reaction to hearing Jesus speak, which makes this opinion entirely worthless to Christians.

Yeah, he was just communicating Christian teachings the same way all these kooks were just communicating Christian teachings when they campaigned for abortion to be banned or for depriving gays from their rights.

Suppose he told them to give away all of their possessions  to clothe the naked and feed the poor. Would you still be sharing outrage over him trying to control how others live?

If he had told only women to do so, yes. And you see, the difference is that Christ taught us explicitly to do exactly what you quote. But he did not state that women should basically be kept in the kitchen. That's basically tread cath - and so sorry to bring it close to home but trade Greek Orthodox - non scriptural belief as well. Crane has you appropriately pegged on this point, so kindly quit trying to squirm out of it with false equivalencies between Sermon on the Mount type of teachings and "kinder gentler" get your ass back in the kitchen neanderthalism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2024, 09:30:10 PM »

Someone made a controversial statement in their private life to an audience at a privately funded institution that specifically caters to people who are much more likely than the general public to agree with that statement.  This is basic free speech.  It's not like he's the governor of Missouri or Kansas and tried to impose this as policy by executive order.

Just because he gave a speech in a free setting doesn't mean that people don't have a free right to get him pushback for it. Hey, the college he spoke at did exactly that!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2024, 09:36:59 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2024, 12:01:40 PM by Badger »

If someone said being a father was more important than your job or education there wouldn't be one single person complaining about it.

Please. Roll Eyes
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2024, 09:50:10 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

I’m not forcing my beliefs on anyone, nor is Mr. Butker. This speech by a conservative Catholic at a conservative Catholic university should have never been widely publicized. It’s your media that’s forcing his beliefs on you!

Bizarre that the most obviously true part of his speech - “Being a mother and homemaker is important and rewarding, and you shouldn’t let your career get in the way of that if it’s what you really want” - is the most controversial. I’d think that the parts where he explicitly attacks political and church leaders would get more attention.

Why did he only reference women ? Why not take to ask fathers and males for their roles in parenting ? Cathoilc Teaching clearly emphasizes the role of both men and women, both the husband and the wife in creating a happy stable environment for their children. To get more theological, they are both pursuing holiness.

He addresses men after he addresses women. You can find the full text of his speech here: https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine?amp

Kindly don't falsely portray Butters remarks as somehow merely being representative of anything resembling "conservative" or "Catholic" views. Particularly those of the college at which he delivered his address. Here is the colleges response to his half-assed remarks which represent neither.

https://hayspost.com/posts/0a29a41f-bcc0-42e1-8d2d-2b5426aaa991

Dare I say this is the most kind, even loving way of charitably saying " Harrison butker is a chode".

And even Benedictine College itself has shared quotes from St John Paul II on the importance of women in ALL Vocations. ( And i would laugh if anyone here would called john Paul II a liberal.)

https://media.benedictine.edu/thank-you-every-woman-st-john-paul-ii-on-the-diverse-vocations-of-women
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2024, 10:50:10 PM »

If you look at a cave man he has blk features that proves Jews had blk in them, and Arabs and Asians because Samoans are part Asian and they look blk

I cannot dispute this impeccable reasoning. olawakandi giving everyone on Atlas a free anthropology degree.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2024, 11:10:52 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2024, 11:15:36 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

As I said he is a millionaire athletes and Drew Brees is AGAINST pride mnth what else are these homophobic athletes gonna say. Blks athletes like Lebron, Mahomes and Jordan believe the same thing homophobic and against Pride mnth, but they won't say it in public because blk athletes are part of BLM and they won't say being without a wife as a man out loud is detriment, but my dad was homophobic, I know blk male athletes are against a man being without a wife is bad

Brees and Butker just said it represented the White community, but females want men with money not broke

What else are they gonna say a man without a wife is good thing, but living single is a thing these days Bachelor or Bachelorette , especially if you are a working class person, my sister stole my inheritance and she expects me to have a wife and kid, but that's crazy I have no money but for myself
Yoda
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2024, 04:40:47 AM »

I forgot to bookmark it so can't find the link but I saw someone on Twitter say that 'when women are allowed to play football it's his position they play' and just LMAOOOOO I died
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2024, 08:05:08 AM »

I forgot to bookmark it so can't find the link but I saw someone on Twitter say that 'when women are allowed to play football it's his position they play' and just LMAOOOOO I died

Yep, the majority of NFL players see punters and kickers as beta soy boys so they try and overcompensate like this guy, and McAfee. Overall a bunch of sad dudes and most end up broke once they’re retired with disabled bodies. Not that enviable.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2024, 08:09:17 AM »

From a Facebook friend:

Talk more when you are ready to give up your career and dreams so that your- checks notes - life can start by being a homemaker, father, and husband. After all, according to Harrison butker you've been fed the greatest lies in the world by saying that you can achieve more satisfaction in life outside of those roles.

I mean, are we waiting for him to retire to take up those roles tomorrow? Or is he just selling some double standard BS dressed up as Christian piety?

Badger, if my partner made millions of dollars a year playing sports, I would gladly be a stay-at-home husband, wouldn’t you? Or are you under the delusion that your job is more important than raising your kids and having more time to devote to your hobbies (sh!tposting on Atlas Forum)? If so, it sounds like you’ve bought into a diabolical lie!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2024, 10:51:12 AM »

Marriage is a rich person thing now all my grammar school friends that have a family got money

💯💯💯
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2024, 11:26:59 AM »

From a Facebook friend:

Badger, if my partner made millions of dollars a year playing sports, I would gladly be a stay-at-home husband, wouldn’t you? Or are you under the delusion that your job is more important than raising your kids and having more time to devote to your hobbies (sh!tposting on Atlas Forum)? If so, it sounds like you’ve bought into a diabolical lie!

I don't necessarily have a problem with the premise that having a successful career and raising a family can (and should) be harmonious.  Maybe that's what he was going for here (though I sincerely doubt it). 

Rather, it's the disturbingly high amount of men who still believe that women pursuing careers is a detriment to society.  It's one of the few places where I'm a hardliner: if you truly believe that, you're wrong.  No exceptions.  And Butker's statements have apparently empowered these individuals. 

Social media is not necessarily representative of real-life, but on posts about this story, many of the top rated comments are along the lines of "he's right, society was better before women entered the work force". 

Obviously, you'll always get trolls and troublemakers, but these posts get hundreds of likes -- signifying that there are a lot more people out there who believe this nonsense than there should be. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2024, 11:40:43 AM »

If he said parent then it wouldn’t have been as controversial. The role of a father is extremely important as well

To add onto this , this even applies to families where the mom is a stay at home mom . My mom was a stay at home mom till I was in high school but that did not mean my mom did all the work in raising me as my dad put in a lot of the work as well .

Most of the people who lecture others about this type of life almost certainly do so because they think it gives them the Excuse to do none of the house work or put in no effort in raising kids and that type of mentality is completely wrong .

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2024, 12:04:07 PM »

From a Facebook friend:

As would i. But the point is most of us don't have partners who earn millions of dollars a year taking a football. Most women work because they have to for starters. And more to the point it was beyond tone gift being downright sexist to tell a group of newly graduating young women - or frankly any group of young women - that they've been fed a lie about the joys of professional accomplishment and their lives will only truly start once they become a mother and homemaker
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2024, 12:06:01 PM »

If he said parent then it wouldn’t have been as controversial. The role of a father is extremely important as well

To add onto this , this even applies to families where the mom is a stay at home mom . My mom was a stay at home mom till I was in high school but that did not mean my mom did all the work in raising me as my dad put in a lot of the work as well .

Most of the people who lecture others about this type of life almost certainly do so because they think it gives them the Excuse to do none of the house work or put in no effort in raising kids and that type of mentality is completely wrong .

Except lecturing others over this type of life is exactly what Harrison butker did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies