NRCC chairman thinks Gard will run for Congress again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:02:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NRCC chairman thinks Gard will run for Congress again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NRCC chairman thinks Gard will run for Congress again  (Read 682 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »

WASHINGTON — The chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee said Monday that he's confident that former state Assembly Speaker John Gard will seek a rematch with U.S. Rep. Steve Kagen, D-Wis., next year.

"I believe he's going to run," said the NRCC chairman, Tom Cole, R-Okla. His comments came a couple of weeks after Gard said he was taking the first steps for a run at the seat, although he won't make a final decision until later this year.

In a conference call with reporters, Cole called Gard "an exceptional candidate," adding, "I think frankly he was the best candidate who was not successful on our side the last time."

Gard, of Suamico, lost a narrow race to Kagen last year to represent the state's 8th Congressional District after Republicans held the district for most of the past three decades.

"We think John Gard is going to be an excellent candidate for us," Cole said, adding that it would be one of the Republican Party's top races. "He'll certainly get strong support from us."

Other Republicans, such as state Reps. Frank Lasee of Bellevue and Steve Wieckert of Appleton, and former Green Bay Mayor Paul Jadin, are also possible candidates for the seat.

"I start with the assumption that if multiple Republicans — particularly credible Republicans — want to run then there must be a pretty good opportunity there," Cole said.

Cole said that Kagen has "given us a lot of opportunities," saying that the freshman lawmaker said some things about President Bush and first lady Laura Bush that were inappropriate .

That was a reference to a report that quoted Kagen as telling a group of peace activists that he taunted the Bushes and others at a White House reception for new lawmakers last November. The White House denied Kagen's version of events, and he later apologized to constituents.

Kagen's office referred requests for comment to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. In a statement, DCCC spokesman Ryan Rudominer said that Kagen "has worked tirelessly to stand up for his constituents and move America in a new direction, and that clearly has the NRCC and Mr. Cole worked up."

http://greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/GPG0101/707310516/1207/GPGnews

Whoever runs this race will again be a tossup.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »

John Gard is probably not the best candidate to run in WI-08.  He is not very well liked by moderates and independent voters and has a very abrasive personality. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »

John Gard is probably not the best candidate to run in WI-08.  He is not very well liked by moderates and independent voters and has a very abrasive personality. 

True, although in all fairness the same can be said of Kagen.

Surely the race will again be very competitive, but I think so long as Bush remains as unpopular as he is, the edge has to go to Kagen.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

While I agree that Kagen is a vulnerable incumbent, he has raised 350K already this year, with the ability to self fund. Sure, he has tripped over his tounge a few times lately, but his votes are not that out of step with the district. Its also much easier to be an incumbent than a challenger.

Gard had his chance, had a ton of money, and had the districts leaning. I think he's a fool to run again, but let him. Lasee is a bigger threat. Then again, the democrats and republicans will be spending $$ in Green Bay like drunken sailors for the presidential, and I think that will also help Kagen (Dems being more enthusiastic and turning out at higher levels).

It will be close, but Gard isn't the Republican for the race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies